What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

WH-00011 wiring harness for wing.

drone_pilot

Well Known Member
00DA40E4-876F-44A6-94FC-A777FACB4AAE.jpg

This is the connector for the WH-00011 wiring harness. On page 19-02 Detail A, there is a note that says, “Mounting clips provided on WH-00125 fuselage harness “. What do these clips look like? I’m not seeing what holds the connector in the bracket. This is the connector that mounts in one of the two square holes at the root of the wing.

Shielded cable

Ben,

While I cannot remember the answer to your actual question, I will add that if your going to have Wig-Wag lights consider adding shielded cable for the lights. The Vans wiring harness, at the time of my build, did not use shielded cable. The AeroLeds instructions suggest shielded cable. Under certain conditions I can hear the WigWag in my headset. I have built Faraday cages, checked all the grounds, and moved the grounds to eliminate ground loops. I believe my issues can be resolved with shielded cable.

Fuselage harness

I remember looking at the method these mounted in the square holes and decided to not use the pre-punched squares and secured the connectors to each other in the wing root by zip ties. The connectors had to be re-made anyway adding wires for an additional light as well as shields for the strobes (landing/taxi lights left unshielded) and wig-wags. My harness at least at the time was set up for 1 landing or taxi light in each wing not for both landing and taxi in each wing. Also added 2 conductor shielded wiring for the pitot tube heat back to the firewall. This is not a bash on the factory harnesses as I found it was 95% ok just added additional wiring and left some unused wires there for later use. I would suggest replacing the Molex elevator trim connector with something a little more watertight (Deutch Connector works well) as the Molex is a little "weak" for this application. Almost 400 hours and to date zero noise in my headsets.

Last edited:
Clips are on other side of the connector. So if you look at the wiring harness for the AP servo in Right wing you will see the other side.

View attachment 41828

This is the connector for the WH-00011 wiring harness. On page 19-02 Detail A, there is a note that says, “Mounting clips provided on WH-00125 fuselage harness “. What do these clips look like? I’m not seeing what holds the connector in the bracket. This is the connector that mounts in one of the two square holes at the root of the wing.
I've run into this problem in my build. Van's technical support is unable to help with the answer. You are well past this step. How did you handle the issue?

I've run into this problem in my build. Van's technical support is unable to help with the answer. You are well past this step. How did you handle the issue?
The C403J is the same as the other half of the C400P that’ll come on the WH00125 harness. If you try the 403J in the square holes for the left and right C400Ps you’ll find that they are not a good fit. Clips do not engage as they should. Couple options. Use the connectors that’ll come with the WH-00125 and pro seal in the square hole to secure them, once you are attaching wings. Or you can order the original Molex plugs which were originally used for that C400P hole. Molex part # 03-09-2091. They are now obsolete from Molex and that’s how this all started. However, if you can’t source them in the US, they have some at Farmtronics in Canada. Their part # is F-J0017. You’ll need 2, one for each side, and everything going forward will match up. Third option (not my favourite) is to abandon the plastic housings once It’s time to attach wings. You could de-pin them one at a time, slide heat shrink over wire, connect pins then heat shrink em.

Last edited:
View attachment 41828

My piece of advice to you, if you are in the mood, swap all MOLEX cheap connectors.. I just came out of 10h troubleshooting journey to find out the problem was these cheap connectors...
If I ever start a new project, this will be a must do for me.

With regard to your question, the routing cap is a pair of small barbs that exist in the male connector.

The C403J is the same as the other half of the C400P that’ll come on the WH00125 harness. If you try the 403J in the square holes for the left and right C400Ps you’ll find that they are not a good fit. Clips do not engage as they should. Couple options. Use the connectors that’ll come with the WH-00125 and pro seal in the square hole to secure them, once you are attaching wings. Or you can order the original Molex plugs which were originally used for that C400P hole. Molex part # 03-09-2091. They are now obsolete from Molex and that’s how this all started. However, if you can’t source them in the US, they have some at Farmtronics in Canada. Their part # is F-J0017. You’ll need 2, one for each side, and everything going forward will match up. Third option (not my favourite) is to abandon the plastic housings once It’s time to attach wings. You could de-pin them one at a time, slide heat shrink over wire, connect pins then heat shrink em.
That last sentence. Very good idea! I think I will do just that.

call steinAir. they are the manufacturers of this harness
Hey folks,

I saw this thread while I was at lunch and actually just fielded a call on this - maybe from one of you?

I don't have access to all of the engineering documents, or even a set of plans, but talking through this with another builder seems to indicate that Van's designed these brackets for the receptacles. The wing roots are keyed with 1 plug and 1 receptacle, so you will have a connector in the bracket coming from either direction.

This means that the following connectors should be in the brackets:

Right Wing Root:
C400J (WH-00125 Harness)
C405J (WH-00013 Harness)

Left Wing Root:
C400J (WH-00125 Harness)
C403J (WH-00012 Harness)

The 2 WH-00011 harnesses (C400P) will not directly mount to the bracket, but instead will plug into the connector that is mounted.

As I mentioned above, I am basing this answer off of the limited documentation that we have and a conversation with another RV-14 builder. If I am wrong please let me know.

Joshua you are right, but it should be noted that the lower hole in the W-1029D was originally punched for the obsolete molex connector, see attached picture. The KAI say that the mounting clips will come with the WH-00125. Problem is, that connector is 1/8” smaller than the original obsolete one. It doesn’t fit in that hole in the W-1092D properly.

Attachments

• 20240319_191636.jpeg
    20240319_191636.jpeg
    963.6 KB · Views: 11
Back