What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-8 Firewall Backrivet, wait on the nutplates!

N82VM

Well Known Member
Solo backriveting per plans is great! What’s not great is following the instructions in the line prior to riveting the firewall angle to the firewall.

These are the instructions prior to assembly.”Rivet the four nutplates to the F-801H-R-1 Center Angle and the six nutplates to the top flange of the F801F-1 Middle Angle.”

The 10 nut plates interfere with your backrivet set with 12 rivets.

To do it again I would NOT rivet the nutplates on per plans prior to assembly of the firewall. These nutplates can still be squeezed AFTER backriveting the entire firewall is completed.

I also found that my backrivet set which has a D shaped collar could not get close enough to the leg of the angle material. This is because of the curved profile of the angle. This causes a rivet to be hit by the edge of the set. I ground the D shaped collar down which allowed the set to be more easily centered on the rivet.

Solo backriveting per plans is great! What’s not great is following the instructions in the line prior to riveting the firewall angle to the firewall.

These are the instructions prior to assembly.”Rivet the four nutplates to the F-801H-R-1 Center Angle and the six nutplates to the top flange of the F801F-1 Middle Angle.”

The 10 nut plates interfere with your backrivet set with 12 rivets.

To do it again I would NOT rivet the nutplates on per plans prior to assembly of the firewall. These nutplates can still be squeezed AFTER backriveting the entire firewall is completed.

+1. I had to drill out the nut plates to be able to rivet in those spots. Not sure why the plans use this order. As you mentioned, it's easy to squeeze the nut plate rivets once the angles have been riveted to the firewall.

Back