What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fumes in cockpit

Flying8

I figured I would share my experience from yesterday. I was RV'n around the mountains near Fresno with another RV buddy. After about 45 minutes we decided to RTB. While underneath the charlie shelf for KFAT, I started breathing 100LL fumes. Not just a little odor, but actually eyes watering, nostrile burning fumes. Turned the air vent to my face and to my horror I could not find any relief or fresher air.

After that I completed about 5 seconds of troubleshooting which was basically looking down at the fuel selector as I figured that a line came off or cracked etc... But didn't see any fuel on the floor. I realized there was no time to mess around and turned immediately to Fresno international and told my buddy I needed to declare emergency which he then responded with KFAT's tower freq. Told tower where I was and sprinted to the field. They halted traffic and rolled the fire trucks. The only thoughts were I was either going to quickly suffocate or catch fire. But luckily with RV speed and our location, I landed in less than 5 minutes.

Cracked open the canopy while rolling out, talk about relief! Shut down where the fire trucks were waiting. When I stepped outside I could see 100LL streamed down the left cheek, left gear leg and was draining from the cowl. Limped the plane over to FBO and borrowed some tools. Turned out that the fuel pressure sender line snapped at the collar where the line connects to the pump and was pumping fuel into the cowl, right near the exhaust... Looks like the clamp that secures the sender had shifted and worn out so the fitting on the opposite end of the line was vibrating against the motor mount.

Thats enough excitement for me for a while. I'll go ahead fix this line and ensure everything else is neatly secured in the engine compartment. Might look at installing a fresh air vent on canopy skirt...

Fresno controllers and firefighters were extremely helpful!

Photo of the broken line.

Attachments

• 20230417_132925.jpg
    20230417_132925.jpg
    207.3 KB · Views: 500
Wow, I am so glad you are safe. Kudos to your piloting and not hesitating to declare an emergency.

How old are these lines and were they home made type lines where one can buy lines and fitting from Spruce and make it themselves or certified type hose/fitting?

Edit: Just saw the photo you posted. I can't imagine why running a hardline in that area. This, I believe, was destined to happen sooner or later.

Last edited:
Hard (aluminum) lines FWF are a recipe for disaster, should never have been there!
Hard to believe someone didn't notice that.

Good job keeping your head and getting on the ground quick.

Last edited:
Great information. We thought the same thing yesterday while finding the leak. I'll admit, I am still learning and it didn't raise a red flag while looking it over when I purchased.

That being said, it will not go back in!

The scariest story award to you.

That picture makes it hard to visualize.

Is there a restriction in that fitting to limit the fuel flow?

While you’re at it, I think it’s common practice to install a restriction in the other end of the line, so if it does break you’ll only get a dribble of gas (technical term) coming out. Pressure senders don’t need any appreciable flow.

Have someone (or many) take a hard look at other things. That kind of error makes you wonder ... what else?

I'm going to pile on here, just to help emphasize the very poor choice to put a hard line, even worse soft aluminum in that location, for that function.
Replace it with a firesleeved teflon hose, properly routed away from exhaust.

Appreciate all the advice. Glad I shared the story. While it's open I asked a local IA to go over it while I'm gathering the correct materials to do it properly.

While you’re at it, I think it’s common practice to install a restriction in the other end of the line, so if it does break you’ll only get a dribble of gas (technical term) coming out. Pressure senders don’t need any appreciable flow.

I second this. They are easy to make by drilling lengthwise through a rivet, with the smallest bit you can manage, and pressing into the AN fitting. A fire sleeved hose for anything running off the engine to either the mount or the firewall due to vibration.

MTCW,

Very scary - hard lines don't belong FWF, too much relative movement. Even parts that are hard mounted and move together, like from the injector servo to the spider, still experience growth and movement from thermal expansion that, over time and cycles, can weaken and crack the joint.

Fuel Sender Hose

Thankfully, you were able to land safely. This could have been a very bad day!

If you refer to Optional Plan drawing OP-28 for fuel hoses you will see that Van's calls for a restrictor fitting (VA-128) at the fuel pump fitting to feed the stainless braided hose (VA-102) for the fuel sender.

Everyone who reads this, and especially anyone who didn't build their airplane, should look at their firewall forward fuel (and oil) sender lines to verify they are plumbed with braded flexible hoses. It would also be a good time to check the age and condition of all FWF hoses.

This incident should be a wakeup call to everyone that it's the little things that can lead to a very bad day.

Attachments

• OP-28 Detail.JPG
    OP-28 Detail.JPG
    128.3 KB · Views: 147
  • OP-28 Carb Fuel System.pdf
    190.8 KB · Views: 162
Hard (aluminum) lines FWF are a recipe for disaster, should never have been there!
Hard to believe someone didn't notice that.

Good job keeping your head and getting on the ground quick.

+1

That is scary. I would consider finding someone different to do your Condition Inspections. That should have been caught and replaced long before this event, as what happened to you was no surprise. If the line was going to a sender mounted to the engine, I can see why someone MAY have accepted it, even though they shouldn't have (steel would have been OK in this case). However, if that line went to somewhere on the firewall, you should RUN away from whomever signed off on the CI. If that was you, I apologize and suggest finding some experienced assistance on the next one to help fill in knowledge gaps. Running a rigid line from the engine to the chassis is a MAJOR NO NO in ANY motorized vehicle. Using soft aluminum is NOT an acceptable substitute for a hose.

Larry

Last edited:
I didn't do the conditional but I did the pre buy and there were other minor issues from the pre buy that I fixed such as mixture cable replacement, throttle cable routing to name a couple. Having an EAA member who is an IA look over it again. The oil pressure sender line is correct and the remainder of the fuel lines are proper. But, the second set of eyes will be combing it over before the cowls go back on. Wake-up call indeed.

Last edited:
Hey Jordan----your signture says youre an A&P. No Offense to you or others, but definitely have other eyes on this plane. I'm sure no one has to tell you how catastrophic this could have been.

Tom

Fuel

Just a miracle you survived. For the next guy-the only proper action is to shut off the fuel and put it on the ground.
Video available of a Beech Duke that didn't make it with very similar issue.

Tom, no offense taken. As stated, I'm having other eyes look over it. Yes I'm an A&P but it's just a license to learn. And learning has occurred!!

Last edited:
wet dog shake

Just remember that this is your engine - anything attached to it better be attached keeping in mind the "wet dog shake" that it does regularly.

Wet Dog Shake.gif

OMG.....!!!

Might look at installing a fresh air vent on canopy skirt...

Thanks for sharing! Scary story! My mind immediately went to my FWF area to visualize anything I may have that is similar. Nope! All flexible lines and all restricted! Thanks for the reminder!

I have heard from more than one person that vents on the canopy are not a good source of fresh air. Others may be able to comment on this.

Fresno controllers and firefighters were extremely helpful!

Great to have around when you need them! Great to hear you DIDN'T need them...!!!:eek::eek::eek:

You have a one of the best aircraft engineers there is in Lemoore. Dave Howe. HFS on VAF. He is well worth you contacting him.

Thankfully, you were able to land safely. This could have been a very bad day!

If you refer to Optional Plan drawing OP-28 for fuel hoses you will see that Van's calls for a restrictor fitting (VA-128) at the fuel pump fitting to feed the stainless braided hose (VA-102)

Tony I appreciate the gouge. Just got the hose and a new fuel pump fitting from Vans. I'd say it's just a tad bit safer!

Attachments

• 20230426_205217.jpg
    20230426_205217.jpg
    545.4 KB · Views: 87
Do you mean 3002? 5052 is not that easy to work with which is why Van's supplies 3002.

Whatever that soft aluminum tubing is that Vans supplies with the kit, not familiar with it because I consider it useless. I used stainless except under the cowl where I used high pressure hoses with AN fittings. Not having a double flare tool I find stainless provides a better single flare without cracks. I would really prefer MS flareless fittings but couldn't find any.

Last edited:
Whatever that soft aluminum tubing is that Vans supplies with the kit, not familiar with it because I consider it useless.

It is fine as long as it is being used for a proper application.

I think your comment is pointless in this discussion, because a hard aluminum line should have never been installed between the engine and a fixed point on the firewall, regardless of what material it was made of.

Whatever that soft aluminum tubing is that Vans supplies with the kit, not familiar with it because I consider it useless. I used stainless except under the cowl where I used high pressure hoses with AN fittings. Not having a double flare tool I find stainless provides a better single flare without cracks. I would really prefer MS flareless fittings but couldn't find any.

Pretty sure we don't have any 3000 psi hyd systems in the RV that would require SS. Brake pressure might reach 400-500 if you stomp on em, and fuel 40 psi.
Overkill for sure, but if it makes you feel better go for it, I'll give you ton's of credit if you did all your cabin fuel lines with SS!

Last edited:
Back