What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dynon GPS puck

wirejock

Well Known Member
Those of you who mounted the Dynon GPS puck to a shelf on the firewall.
Is this too close to the firewall for the GPS to "see"?

Edit...Nevermind. i'm going to fab a new shelf an inch or so longer so the puck can be moved up closer to the cowl surface.
20230413_124415.jpg

Last edited:
Another approach

FP09122015A0000V.jpg
FP09122015A0000T.jpg

GPS antenna

Larry,

That was my first location of the GPS puck and it would drop the gps signal occasionally. I fabricated a new bracket and relocated forward about 4” and now it works perfectly. Originally it was too far back and too close to the firewall, it needed a bit of rearward look for a good signal. I think the GTN installation manual discusses facing the antenna forward along the longitudinal axis of the fuselage, not sideways as depicted in the picture above.

How I mounted mine, been working great with no drop outs for past 65 hours since first flight last Nov:

Untitled by Dave Hock, on Flickr

Untitled by Dave Hock, on FlickrI did install a stiffiner behind the firewall:

Garmin did advise it will likely shorten the life of the antenna due to heat but I think I can live with that.

I started putting mine under the cowl there but soon realized I didn’t want more clutter behind the engine. I made bracket to accommodate two GPS antennas and mounted it in the back window. Works fine so far…

Larry, Lay a straight edge between the roll bar and the edge of the firewall/front skin, once the center of the puck is below that line it wont get any better.

BTW - I have had a puck fail on an IFR flight plan. It failed and became a jammer for the other pucks. The WAAS puck should be far away - maybe 3-4 feet from the others. In a wing or on the fuse just behind the 7/9/14 baggage bulkhead is a good place. If it does fail, then turn off the power to that device.

Last edited:
WOW, look at all the space to play with for avionics !! For my RV8 I had to bend my wrists and hands in weird ways to get to anything back there.

Hopefully there will be some big 'ol access panels on the top/fwd skin, or there will be "words" when it comes time to pull some of those boxes.

Hopefully there will be some big 'ol access panels on the top/fwd skin, or there will be "words" when it comes time to pull some of those boxes.

Plus hopefully they leave at least 4" or 5" extra on the wiring harnesses. Not only did I have to bend my hands in awful ways, when I had to pull an instrument or radio, I had to disconnect it blindly before it would come out. If they had left 4" or 5" I could have pulled the radio out THEN disconnected the wire harness. :mad::mad::mad:

Dynon GPS antenna/receiver mounted on the glare shield in all three builds. Works perfectly. Note the dark cloth wrapped around it to eliminate glare.
20210729-135426.jpg

I located the GTN-650 GPS antenna as shown in this photo. This location meets all the touchy Garmin install rules.
20210210-145528.jpg

Carl

GPS puck shelf

It's done. I added three shims made from electrical box covers to get it 1/8" below the inside surface of the top cowl.
My electronics are all pretty accessible sitting in the seat.
See photos
20230414_154559.jpg

20230318_160308.jpg

Back