What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wingtips with hinge in the stand

JDA_BTR

Well Known Member
When I did my -14 wingtips I did them with hinge in the wing stand and they came out great. I’ll do hinge again on the -8. Before I did it on the 14 a ton of advice said to not do the tips in the stand. Has anyone done the -8 tips in the stand?

I did my tip on the stand. I don’t have the zip tip but I wonder of the reason why people think it’s a bad idea.

Tips

I did mine in a stand. I used a 2x4x.128 section of aluminum.
Located the tooling/alignment holes on the centernline. Locked the aileron to the centerline. Traced the aileron. Cut the bar to match. Repeat with a piece of 2x4. Bolt the bar in place. Slip the board over. The board locks the aileron and wing tip to the bar. Makes it easy to work without the parts moving.

The -8 kit assembly instructions say you can do it either way. I did mine in the stand and it flies level and straight with no trim.

I agonized over the tip alignment. My tips as shipped have a slight droop maybe an 1/8” over the tip length on both sides. Some builders sliced the tips to realign them. I found a post on VAF (that I can’t find) where someone had tested tip alignment and found it insensitive so I left them alone.

Did both the 7 and 10 tips in the stand. IMHO it’s the only way to do it. Trivial to guarantee proper alignment first time. Don’t listen to people telling you to rig the plane first. That’s not how it’s done.
I’d love to hear the so called benefits of not doing it this way?

Back