What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rv8 project in Switzerland

SwissVolts

Hello everyone !

I'm Salva, a Spanish living in Switzerland. I join this great community by building my dream RV8 (it will be my first plane).

I have ordered the QB fuselage, and the standard wings, as the waiting list for QB wings is currently very high. I hope to receive it all in August. I have also ordered a complete set of tools from Planettools.

A little bit about me:
From a very young age I have built and flown RC airplanes. When I arrived in Switzerland and the economy allowed it, I started paragliding.

About 6 years ago I started a small company specializing in lithium batteries. We build batteries of all kinds, from ebikes, tools, to underwater lighting equipment... A fully electric RV8 would not be bad :D, that will be for when the batteries improve a little more!

Two years ago I got my ULM flight license, a little later the PPL and SPL. Aviation has made me fall in love! I fly various ultralights, gliders, Cesnna 172 and train aerobatic flight with a Cap 10C, this year I will go to my first competition.

After several failed purchase attempts I have decided to build my own plane! My wife and daughter have encouraged me a lot!

I thought about renting a place but everything was either too expensive or too far away. Then I looked at the old wooden cabin in my garden... I have removed a dividing wall, I am going to isolate it completely to be able to work in winter, put in good lighting and change the floor.

The bad part is the size, just over 7 x 5 meters (23 x 17 feet). The ceiling is also low, from 1.9 to 2.7 meters at the top (6 to 9 feet). Do you think it is crazy to build an RV8 in this space?

I have a basement and other spaces where I can store finished pieces such as the empennage and the wings. Also a small electronics workshop and another for machining with a lathe and two CNC milling machines.

I've never built anything like it and I don't have any experience setting rivets. In return, the engine, the avionics and the fiber and paint jobs do not scare me!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated and I'd love to meet people around me who fly or are building Van's!
I will be posting my progress in preparing the workshop until the plane arrives.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2023-04-07 at 15.26.48 (1).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-04-07 at 15.26.48 (1).jpeg
    520.2 KB · Views: 167
  • WhatsApp Image 2023-04-07 at 15.26.48.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-04-07 at 15.26.48.jpeg
    508.1 KB · Views: 167
  • WhatsApp Image 2023-04-02 at 18.43.03.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-04-02 at 18.43.03.jpeg
    559 KB · Views: 164
7 x 5 m is more than enough. It's possible in a 6 x 3 m garage. Just store the parts ready in the living room :)

Attachments

• f2.jpg
    f2.jpg
    866.9 KB · Views: 110
  • tim_schemas.jpg
    tim_schemas.jpg
    164.5 KB · Views: 141
Hi Salva

I'd love to meet people around me who fly or are building Van's!

Well, that’s gonna be pretty easy :)
My field LSZF, which ain’t too far from your place, hosts no less than 11 RVs… and there are more than 35 RVs registered in CHE :cool:
You probably already are, or soon will be, a member of the EAS (Experimental Aviation of Switzerland), and are of course also welcome to join our monthly Stamm, details on the site.
One more thing, I run an RV Builders and an RV Flyers chat on Signal, if you wanna join shoot me a pm with your full name and cell number.

Welcome on board ;)

Welcome to VAF

Hello everyone !

I'm Salva, a Spanish living in Switzerland. I join this great community by building my dream RV8 (it will be my first plane).

Salva, welcome to VAF:D

Sounds like Dan is going to be a great resource for you.

thanks Mike ;)
There is a great gang of RV fans, or dare we call them fanatics, around here, and the rest of central Europe.
Along with some very knowledgeable people, all in all a fantastic community :D

Thank you all for the welcome !

Hi Dan, LSZF is also my airfield, but I didn't know there were so many RVs hangared there, great :D
On April 1, I was with my daughter helping to maintain the grass runway. I belong to the AFG club (gliders).

In Switzerland I have only flown gliders, I must get the ICAO Language Proficiency Requirements and continue studying German. I have two or three years ahead of me while I build the plane...

I belong to the AeCS, but not yet to EAS. I send you a private message. Of course, if I can help with anything, just let me know and I can drop by Birrfeld or surroundings anytime !

Back