What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV6 Paint Job Done…….

Scott Hersha

Well Known Member
After what seemed like a long time in the paint shop, my RV6 is truly finished. The paint job took about 8 weeks in the paint shop after they started on it. It was close to home, so that was a big plus for me, and the price was very reasonable in todays market. I’ve waxed the entire airplane in the month it’s been home in my hangar, so I know where all the blemishes are - pretty similar to every one I’ve done (4). Net weight gain was 24 lbs, which isn’t bad. New gross weight is 1042, so that’s good too. It’s a VFR, O-360, with a carbon fiber prop, simple airplane.

B9A8DAA8-138F-466F-ADBE-1B97E340B16F.jpg

AB089DE9-F9BF-4975-AB8E-41603D35C082.jpg

984AFC0E-5F27-46EE-AD4B-9EF3D77AA5AE.jpg

E524441B-FF08-4F0B-8365-C7B028FF3940.jpg

2F1DBDAE-1C9D-4955-ACDA-AA6748AE578D.jpg

Well done. Super nice. It’s great to see a 6 kept true to its original
design.

Beautiful paint job!
What seats are those? I have a -6 that’s 20 years old. I need to start looking into replacing them.

Beautiful paint job!
What seats are those? I have a -6 that’s 20 years old. I need to start looking into replacing them.

My seats came from DJ Lauriston (Cleveland Air Tool). DJ has done seats for me before and she and her crew do excellent work. Lead time was about 6 weeks.

Total cost: $11,143.00. Warren County Airport, Ohio (I68). Sherwin Williams Aerospace JetGlo single stage. Included a lot of fiberglass finish work on parts that I thought looked perfect when I took it to them, and a paint mask design from Aero Graphics.

Gorgeous Paint

Scott
Congratulations!! I absolutely love the paint job. It is gorgeous.

Be sure to fly over to FRH(French Lick) when you get a chance. My buddy is having a BBQ cookout on May 6. I would love to see you buddy!!

Take Care and Stay Safe!!

Darren & Traci Kerns
RV7 N599DT
KFRH

nice paint job. Might consider getting rid of that wax. Most makers of polyurethane clear coats state NO WAX for minimum of 3 months with 6 months preferred. Poly's are designed to stay open to allow solvent evap and it takes many months for it to close up. Unlike laquers or enamels that do not cure. Wax can create long term issues, as the poly chains are disturbed by the wax as they try to close. Surprised the painter did not give that advice. Not sure this universal for all poly clear, but applies to the majority. I would ask your painter about this.

Larry

Last edited:
nice paint job. Might consider getting rid of that wax. Most makers of polyurethane clear coats state NO WAX for minimum of 3 months with 6 months preferred. Poly's are designed to stay open to allow solvent evap and it takes many months for it to close up. Unlike laquers or enamels that do not cure. Wax can create long term issues, as the poly chains are disturbed by the wax as they try to close. Surprised the painter did not give that advice. Not sure this universal for all poly clear, but applies to the majority. I would ask your painter about this.

Larry

Thanks. I didn’t know that. The polish I used was not technically a wax, but maybe that doesn’t matter. The paint was about 2 months old when I did it. I’ll ask my painter about it.

Scott
Congratulations!! I absolutely love the paint job. It is gorgeous.

Be sure to fly over to FRH(French Lick) when you get a chance. My buddy is having a BBQ cookout on May 6. I would love to see you buddy!!

Take Care and Stay Safe!!

Darren & Traci Kerns
RV7 N599DT
KFRH

Thanks Darren. I put it on my calendar. Maybe Blair and I can make it.

Back