What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-7 Longeron Bending Template - dwg 17

gcman6

So, I am just about at the point of bending my longerons on my -7 fuse and cannot find dwg 17 which has the to scale longeron bending template. I am realizing that it is bigger then the other plans pages so when I did the inventory I didn't specifically look for it. And, I can't find it anywhere. Is it ok to just use the F721-B aft canopy deck to check my bend or should I definitely have the paper template as well? Thanks

Garrett

The template is on the bottom of the left side profile drawing of the fuselage.

It is a larger drawing and is in fact #17. There is some curving aft of the canopy deck where the template will be necessary.

Like Larry said below, ultimately you want the parts to match although there is a remaining bend 10-12 inches aft of the aft deck where the template is needed.

Arnie

Last edited:
Aft deck

So, I am just about at the point of bending my longerons on my -7 fuse and cannot find dwg 17 which has the to scale longeron bending template. I am realizing that it is bigger then the other plans pages so when I did the inventory I didn't specifically look for it. And, I can't find it anywhere. Is it ok to just use the F721-B aft canopy deck to check my bend or should I definitely have the paper template as well? Thanks

Actually, that's the best way to do it. The template is nice but ultimately it's the parts mating that matters.

When my fuselage kit shipped, I went through the same thing. Drawing 17 was included, but it was shrunk down to the sam size as the rest of the drawings.

It's supposed to be full scale and you glue the longeron templates to a piece of cardboard or whatever and cut them out.

I'm sure you can get them done by just matching the aft canopy deck, but it was sure nice to have the templates available. I called tech support and they sent me the correct sized ones.

The template is paper where as the deck is solid. The deck is a better tool. The other bends occur in other areas. Don’t forget them. And make sure you bend it the correct way. A good technique would be to slide them into the aft fuse to make sure you know the left from the right. The drawings were confusing to me.

There are also longeron bending dies that are available - which when clamped with pressure - will create the requisite bend.

Be careful with the dies. Don’t add too much pressure. Just enough to move the angle in the right shape, full pressure will overbend. Ask me how I know.

Talked to Van’s and they sent me the paper copy of the plans that had never been sent. I used the bending dies to bend my longerons with the paper template and F-721 Aft canopy decks. In the end it was easier to use the canopy decks to check my bend. Also, found that it doesn’t take much pressure at all using the bending dies. Overbent just slightly on the first longeron but got the process down after some trial and error. Found that 45-90 degrees on the vice handle works good with a little tweaking afterwards.

Back