What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Gear width on an RV6

FireMedic_2009

Well Known Member
I just bought an RV6 with the engine disassembled and was just delivered yesterday. The gear looks a little narrow. The seller bought it from the insurance company and had it transported to his home airport. I’m wondering if the shipping ratcheted the gear together and bent the gear.

The engine is off the plane and the measurement from outside to outside of the wheels is 82”. I’m not sure how much the gear will spread out with the engine mounted. I’m thinking maybe a 3-5”. What’s the measurement of your gear width
Thanks

I just bought an RV6 with the engine disassembled and was just delivered yesterday. The gear looks a little narrow. The seller bought it from the insurance company and had it transported to his home airport. I’m wondering if the shipping ratcheted the gear together and bent the gear.

The engine is off the plane and the measurement from outside to outside of the wheels is 82”. I’m not sure how much the gear will spread out with the engine mounted. I’m thinking maybe a 3-5”. What’s the measurement of your gear width
Thanks

My bet is the gear is fine. It will spread when all fwf is installed. It would be very hard if not impossible to bent the gear with ratchet straps without setting out to do it.

If you want to check with the plans, order the thumb drive for the RV6 from Van's store.

Back