What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

LooseAdjustment Flap in Eyeball Vent

edclee

Well Known Member
Patron
Has anyone come up with a good fix for the adjustment flap in the plastic eyeball vents? It is difficult to get the darn thing to stay in one place.
Ed

Attachments

• IMG_3347.jpg
    IMG_3347.jpg
    340.7 KB · Views: 99
Best fix I know is to replace it with the all metal one Stein sells.;)

I suspect it is not repairable, but you can most likely find an unused one from someone who used a Stein unit during their build.

Eyeball vents

Best fix I know is to replace it with the all metal one Stein sells.;)
I suspect it is not repairable, but you can most likely find an unused one from someone who used a Stein unit during their build.

+1; plastic ones are doomed to failure. Metal ones will last forever....:)

If you clean the flapper valve really well and use a course sandpaper on it around the first 1/4 inch of the perimeter then coat the vent with a thin film of grease. Then squeeze some RTV on the cleaned and sanded part of the valve when it is in the closed position it will seal the vent closed. Don't move the flapper valve for at least 24 hours. No more leaky air vent.

Has anyone come up with a good fix for the adjustment flap in the plastic eyeball vents? It is difficult to get the darn thing to stay in one place.
Ed

Rotate the ball around and look for a small screw....and tighten.

I have metal ones that get locked down so tight that I cant move them. Opening and closing the vent makes the outer ring tighten down ball and there is not much surface area to grip that outer ring to loosen it.

Vent

Rotate the ball around and look for a small screw....and tighten.

Ahaa! I found the screw, thanks...in the meantime, I have used some waxed cotton lacing twine and tied a double knot around the axel on one side of the flapper. It works...now there is movement but friction enough to hold it where you want it. I will remove the twine from one of them and try the screw.
Ed

You can also cut a piece of foam from one of your favorite packaging with a circular cutter running backward to put it in there during winter times. Not only it prevents it from opening but also block the portion that it does not seal well.

You can also cut a business card in half, crack the vent open, slide the card in each side and close..... to stop cold air leak for the season.

Back