What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Automatic Soldering Gun

HFS

Well Known Member
Anybody using one of these - comments?

Thx

HFS

Attachments

• Automatic Soldering Gun.jpg
    Automatic Soldering Gun.jpg
    251.1 KB · Views: 171
Never tried, but I like the idea. There have been many times that I wished I had three hands for soldering.

There seem to be a million or so of them out there - this just happens to be the one I chose. It has a continuous trigger feed, where a lot of the other ones require pulling the trigger to advance the solder each time it's needed. Not very expensive either ~$30-50 including a roll of solder.

HFS

I've seen those before. They have been around for a while. I think they could work but often you want to move the solder around as you are soldering a joint. For instance I often heat one side of the joint and apply the solder to the other side.

I would consider this useless for the typical solder work we do.

I’d put this in the category of “a solution looking for a problem”.

Carl

...For instance I often heat one side of the joint and apply the solder to the other side.

Often? That really is the way to solder: that way you know when the components are hot enough to melt the solder and the solder will flow to cover the joint adequately. You avoid overheating the components and still get a good solder joint. (Of course you do have to apply a bit of solder to the tip to ensure good heat transfer to the components.)

Finn

My favorite automatic soldering tool is a crimper. I try to avoid soldering. I don’t do enough to be good.

Back