What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Pittman Flap Motor

davecharno

I'm New Here
I am going to replace my flap motor with a new Pittman motor model #92345004. Does anyone know where I can buy a worm gear for this motor or how to remove and replace the old worm gear.

I feel your pain as I went through this a while back. Just carefully disassemble both the new and old motors (2 long screws IIRC) and reuse the armature with the worm gear and whatever else is necessary from the old motor in the new motor.

Occasionally there's a suitable motor on eBay but you'll need to use the correct Pittman part number: 9234S004

Van's, Usher, and Aircraft Spruce were all no help and are missing a business opportunity as more of these fail with time.

How did you remove the armature from the motor.
One at a time, disassemble both the new motor and the old motor by removing the two long screws from each motor's "non-gear" end (where the wires attach). Pay attention to the washer stackup on the armature shaft and how the brush assembly is put together.

IIRC at this point the armature can be pulled out of the motor. As I mentioned in my original post, I burnished the flap motor's commutator ring. In any case, swap out the armature in the new motor with the one with the gear-equipped one from the old motor and reassemble.

I have a number of pictures but the one (below) is representative of the task.

Attachments

• Original Motor Parts.jpg
    Original Motor Parts.jpg
    503 KB · Views: 130
Back