What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Premade hole in baffling? keep or seal?

I bought my RV used, a Super-8 with an IO-540 C4B5 that was modified from fuel injection to a carburetor. I post here for the O/IO-540 input.
My metal baffling on the bottom of the cylinders has a round, obviously-deliberately-made hole in the baffling between cylinders 2 and 4, right up next to the casing. It's about 1 1/4 inch diameter. There is not a similar hole on the other side between 1 and 3. It seems like an obvious problem in terms of cooling air not being forced over the cylinder fins, but before I seal it I would like to throw it out there for comment. Has anyone seen this? Is there some reason why it should be there? And my #2 cylinder is my hottest CHT. Pictures from top and bottom attached. Thanks for the help.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 116
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 106
Seal it up. That hole is for the fuel injection line from the servo to the spider, normally mounted on top center of engine.

With a fuel injection system, there would be a grommet and fuel line passing through the hole to the spider on top of the engine. I would just plug the hole since in your situation it’s not used

Thank you

Thank you. I figured it was something like that but wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something. I will be sealing it up before the next flight.

Back