What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Steel Cable to Replace Chains - tailwheel steering

tectweaker

Well Known Member
Has anybody used a steel cable to replace chains for the tailwheel steering.

I see old threads where some people mentioned a plan to use a 1/16 cable to replace chains.

I am curious if somebody did it and what were the results?

What cable, sleeves and tool was used would be helpful to know?

Chains seem to work okay but I am putting some eye bolts etc to clean things up and curious if I should also replace chains. It should theoretically be stronger as well.

My TailLynx uses wire cable. Don't remember the size.

The chains on my C180 are in perfect condition and they are 1955 original equipment. But I have to periodically replace the wire clips because they wear out.

Dave

What I did on my RV3B

Attachments

• 0542EEE5-0B13-448C-A46D-FC84E0216F24.jpeg
    0542EEE5-0B13-448C-A46D-FC84E0216F24.jpeg
    644.8 KB · Views: 368
My RV-6 has always had steel cable and no springs.

The cable has a bit of slack in it, enough so that you can do gentle turns with the rudder when taxiing. If you push the pedal hard enough to feel resistance, pushing it a bit harder steers the tailwheel with a very 'direct' feel.

I've always liked it. I'm sure some people would hate it, but they don't fly my airplane. :D

- mark

Possible Vendor for your endeavor

You can't be wrong if you choose the same HW as the rudder cables .Once you decide on your approach/hardware, I'd consider having them made by Certified Slings. They have tons of locations. They made my rudder cables for less than I could have bought the parts from ACS. Hydraulically swaged and "pull tested" or you can pay for a full cert. The test was the same but with/without cert paperwork. An option to consider.

My cable is 0.1 “ . Cable and cable hardware came from Tractor Supply, stainless shackles came from a sail rigging supply house. Found them on line.

1/16" cables

Using 1/16" cables on my RV-4 with smallest springs I could find in local hardware store. Works well. Used cheap crimper for the copper swages I had on hand.

Sorry for the poor picture quality. Old W&B picture.

Attachments

• TailSprings.jpg
    TailSprings.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 140
Keep your eyes open. I understand a certain vendor may have something like this packaged in a kit soon.

Back