What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Erratic Fuel Pressure on GRT EIS 4000

stringbender

Patron
After 1.5 years of operation (150 hrs) on my RV6A, 0360A1A, second owner, I am experiencing Erratic Fuel Pressure into my GRT EIS 4000. The sender is VDO 360 043, this is a 0-30 psi unit that is sold and not for fuel use according to some websites that sell it? So I've just learned.
But I have installed a direct pressure gauge and ran statically putting out 5.5 psi and 6.0 with electric fuel pump on.

My inflight erratic readings only last a few seconds measuring "(0)", or zero pressure. The most it ever reads is 3.6 psi.

I have read numerous times the documentation GRT supplies and it is just as clear as mud. I understand very little on how to change the unit and to further my knowledge I would like to have someone mentor me into understanding more about this unit. If anyone can help just reach out in a Private message with phone number and time to call.

I have ordered a new VDO pressure sensor and will replace it in a few days upon arrival.

I have accomplished several tasks to keep heat away from fuel lines, and replacing baffle material for better sealed enclosure directing air across the cylinders.

I have not taken the plunge to purchase a EFIS unit.

I would like to keep the aircraft panel "as is".

Douglas

I would recommend changing the unit.

Quite simply remove the two wires noting which way they were attached. Unscrew the VDO sender
Use some fuel lube on the threads of the new sender - screw in. Tighten with a spanner firm. (Normally about 3/4 to 1 1/2 turns past hand tight. But don’t overdo it.
Connect the wires and test. Also checking for any leaks.

The VDO senders do often fail as they wear through from sitting in the same spot.

Regards Peter

After 1.5 years of operation (150 hrs) on my RV6A, 0360A1A, second owner, I am experiencing Erratic Fuel Pressure into my GRT EIS 4000. The sender is VDO 360 043, this is a 0-30 psi unit that is sold and not for fuel use according to some websites that sell it? So I've just learned.
But I have installed a direct pressure gauge and ran statically putting out 5.5 psi and 6.0 with electric fuel pump on.

My inflight erratic readings only last a few seconds measuring "(0)", or zero pressure. The most it ever reads is 3.6 psi.

I have read numerous times the documentation GRT supplies and it is just as clear as mud. I understand very little on how to change the unit and to further my knowledge I would like to have someone mentor me into understanding more about this unit. If anyone can help just reach out in a Private message with phone number and time to call.

I have ordered a new VDO pressure sensor and will replace it in a few days upon arrival.

I have accomplished several tasks to keep heat away from fuel lines, and replacing baffle material for better sealed enclosure directing air across the cylinders.

I have not taken the plunge to purchase a EFIS unit.

I would like to keep the aircraft panel "as is".

My fuel sender acted as yours Doug with my es4000. . Replaced x3 times. Not until I changed out the exciter resistor did it settle down. Went through my supply of old senders, all work correctly. Sorry, pull the unit and cut out and replace the resistor to new, maybe even not correct one installed. BUT… you may just have a dud and your new one will fix your issue. Good luck

<<<SNIP>>>

Is your system carbureted or fuel injected?

The 30 psi unit is typically on the fuel injected systems with an expectation of around 25-28 PSI.

The 10 psi unit is typically on the carbureted systems with an expectation of around 5-8 PSI.

Then, as mentioned, make sure that you have a good and CORRECT excitation resistor for the one you use.

FINALLY, check the connections to make sure there are no lose wires.

Check for a short in the wiring. I had the same problem and found a cut in one of the wires allowed it to short.
Joe

update: transducer replaced

I changed the fuel transducer with same VDO part.
Test flight showed no fluctuations to zero.

Spade connector to ground was not loose but not tight on old one?

Ohm tested old one = 8 ohms
new one 3 ohms

GRT EIS 4000 indicated no more than 2.6 psi.

Prior direct reading gauge static run indicated steady state 5 psi and 5.5 with electric fuel pump added.

I contacted GRT tech support and indicated that I have read the material several times and asked how to change the "factor" that would indicate more of "what the engine pump is actually putting out", answer was if you change it you are going to get an incorrect figure"?

Well I'm still confused, anyone out there with knowledge and willing to discuss this I would appreciate you PM me.
Thanks for your concern.
Doug

I was WRONG here ...

Is your system carbureted or fuel injected?

The 30 psi unit is typically on the fuel injected systems with an expectation of around 25-28 PSI.

The 10 psi unit is typically on the carbureted systems with an expectation of around 5-8 PSI.

Then, as mentioned, make sure that you have a good and CORRECT excitation resistor for the one you use.

FINALLY, check the connections to make sure there are no lose wires.

My mind was on the wrong items when I posted on this.

The GRT EIS uses the VDO 360 043 0-30 psi unit for fuel pressure and DIFFERENT RESISTORS for various pressure levels.

200 ohms for up to 10 psi and
475 ohms for up to 28 psi

"My bad ..."

Do NOT use fuel lube as a sealant unless you wasn’t leaks in a few years.. initially it will seem to seal, but fuel lube on pipe threads WILL eventually leak. Use an appropriate sealant like locktite 567. You can get it from Amazon, and in a few years from now when your plane is still leak free, while the fuel lube crowd is resealing everything, you can thank me.

As for your pressure issue, I’m having the opposite issue on a GRT plane. The pressure spikes to 20 psi, yet being carburetor, I believe it would be flooding over and have fuel stains or rough running if it were really 20 psi. We replaced the VDO with a new one from GRT and no change..

Back