What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rivet Mil-Spec, or is it?!?!

dwollen89

Well Known Member
I riveted my left leading edge over the past couple of days. I ended up drilling out about 10 rivets overall that I wasn't happy with. I also used 4 oops rivets as some of the holes got a little big.

So this led me to an interesting observation. I was looking at the mil-spec for a 3/32 rivet. The max hole tolerance is .103. I measured my untouched dimpled holes and they were literally already at the max tolerance. I reamed them with a #40 reamer and dimpled with a standard cleaveland dimple die on a c-frame. So since they're already starting at max tolerance, anytime I drill out a 3/32 AN426 rivet, the hole is going to be out of spec.

What I typically do is just use a longer rivet, plump it a bit with a squeezer, and then set it with a bigger shop head. I'm wondering if I should start match drilling with a #41 bit and see if that helps.

Anywho, I thought it was an interesting observation.

Last edited:

I always wondered about that too, but there's a lot of Vans flying so I quit worrying about it.
I often ho 1/2 size up for that reason. I prefer a bit more shop head.
You might find after deburring a Vans hole, it's just about perfect for a dimple. #41 is pretty close. Too small and the hole can crack so test first.

I always appreciate your insight Larry. Your builder blog is one of my go to sites when I'm scratching my head...or banging it on the wall trying to figure something out. :p Such a learning curve....

Back