What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

A-1204 outboard nose rib sticks out beyond the flaperon skin

rv12iS-builder

Well Known Member
Friend
On Page 18-03, Step 1 has you cleco together the A-1203 spar, A-1204 nose rib, A-909 counterbalance and A-1201-C outboard nose skin.

As you can see in the first photo, with the end of the counterbalance flush with the edge of the skin, my A-1204 nose rib sticks out about 1/8 inch beyond the edge of the skin (see second photo). That doesn’t seem right!

I’m pretty sure I fluted the ribs correctly per Page 18-02, Step 3 (see third photo).

My thought is to push the A-1204 nose rib in slightly, as you can see in the fourth photo. With the forward part of the rib flush with the skin, the skin extends slightly beyond the aft part of the A-1204. The predrilled hole in the flange no longer lines up with the predrilled hole in the skin, but that seems better than having the rib stick out where it could possibly interfere with the the wing tip when the flaperon moves up and down.

Anybody else have this problem? Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Attachments

• A-1204-L.jpg
    A-1204-L.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 80
  • close-up.jpg
    close-up.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 68
  • fluting.jpg
    fluting.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 64
  • possible-solution.jpg
    possible-solution.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 81
Yup, I had exactly the same issue and did just as you suggested - drilled another hole so it was flush with the flaperon skin.

I had that too. Feel free to bang on that part so that it is more flush with the skin's edge.

Back