What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Hartzell Propeller Testing

Laird

Well Known Member
Recently spied at an open hangar in Socal.

Great example of strain gauging a propeller to do vibe testing. Note the large black hub forward of the propeller. It's the data collection and transmitter unit. Transmits sensor data to a laptop in the passenger seat.

Great to see Hartzell go to this level of testing.

Laird

Attachments

• Hartzell Prop.PNG
    Hartzell Prop.PNG
    2 MB · Views: 529
Does he have a special spinner on that prop so he can fly it, or is it just for ground runs...?

I don't believe he has a special spinner so I "think" that they're testing without a spinner, but I don't know for sure.

I don't have many details beyond what I see in the picture.

Looks pretty standard testing for Hartzell. They gave me a tour of the factory when I was selecting props (10 yrs ago) and there was one in a test cell instrumented like this. Maybe we are just seeing the testing on experimental. Although, it sure would be nice to see a good efficient speed optimized composite from Hartzell for the RV and Rocket speeds. The BA aluminum prop is really good!

I don't believe he has a special spinner so I "think" that they're testing without a spinner, but I don't know for sure.

I don't have many details beyond what I see in the picture.

Can never be 100% sure for a test set-up but in general, the spinner is needed for flight. Uneven, inadequate, engine cooling flow is pretty much guaranteed; air not properly directed towards inlets/cylinders, "cooling" flow being allowed to bypass the inlets through spinner opening and raise Ps downstream of cylinders, etc.

Can never be 100% sure for a test set-up but in general, the spinner is needed for flight. Uneven, inadequate, engine cooling flow is pretty much guaranteed; air not properly directed towards inlets/cylinders, "cooling" flow being allowed to bypass the inlets through spinner opening and raise Ps downstream of cylinders, etc.

I have done several of these tests with Hartzell on RV's. No spinner.
I ran my plane for a year no nose spinner due to cracking in my 'screwless spinner'. There was no difference in cooling what so ever. I took a lot of data on this.

I have done several of these tests with Hartzell on RV's. No spinner.
I ran my plane for a year no nose spinner due to cracking in my 'screwless spinner'. There was no difference in cooling what so ever. I took a lot of data on this.

Would be a big-time violation on most (all?) certified aircraft whose TCs were from the last several decades. Don't know your baffle arrangement behind the spinner/cowling but It implies you have a fairly large amount of cooling air margin. First guess would be "excess" exit area. Some cooling drag improvements could be realized by optimizing the exit. Some spit-balling during lunch

Inquiring minds what to know....

Anybody have any idea what BLADE that is that they're testing? It is composite.

Does he have a special spinner on that prop so he can fly it, or is it just for ground runs...?
There is a "spinner" cap that goes on the front of the telemetry unit; doesn't cover up the hub or the unit like a typical spinner would. Testing is conducted on the ground and in flight.

There is a "spinner" cap that goes on the front of the telemetry unit; doesn't cover up the hub or the unit like a typical spinner would. Testing is conducted on the ground and in flight.

Thanks for weighing in Trevor and setting the record straight!

Missed this question:
Anybody have any idea what BLADE that is that they're testing? It is composite.

The test article is a composite blade configured for the Lancair 360; current designation for the blade is NM7504-5(). The () is filled in with an engineering prototype designation for now, which may or may not change as the final nomenclature is TBD. The configured diameter is 70".

Back