What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What did you do with your RV this weekend? (2/11/2023 - 2/12/2023)

DeltaRomeo

doug reeves: unfluencer
Staff member
...getting it started. v/r,dr

15 days since my last RV flight (too long!). Ice storms and a perfect storm of part time sim conspired against me <g>. Felt good to see the sky with Mark 1 eyeballs. It always stuns me, the restorative properties of a little RV time off the surface.

The North Texas sky Saturday:

Got a little time off the surface. Mental gyros recalibrated!:

Sunday 1100 CST:

Last edited:
Just a 27 year old AD that nobody bothered to do.

Attachments

• 20230207_180549.jpg
    20230207_180549.jpg
    559.4 KB · Views: 332
Might as well get started while I wait on the pro-Seal and plates from Vans.

Attachments

• B6144B61-E20F-462F-A06D-C7DD0A623677.jpg
    B6144B61-E20F-462F-A06D-C7DD0A623677.jpg
    442.1 KB · Views: 201
Not claustrophobic....

I forgot how TIGHT it is back in the fuselage of an RV-4!! Crawled back there to put the tiny pins on the wires from the Dynon and the OAT probe that go to the SubD fitting for the remote compass hanging back there. Stripping seven 22g wires and crimping those tiny pins on the equally tiny wires while crammed back there was a real chore!:p (I love head lamps!:)) Got all of them smashed on, shrink tubing in place (loved using the heat gun back there!!:eek::eek:), all the wires in the correct holes and got the cover on the SubD fitting. By then I was DONE. I'll go back there and finish up in a few days. I am NOT looking forward to the return trip but that is what aircraft maintenance is all about! And at least it isn't a Mooney....:rolleyes:

Checked Intergalactic Spaceport for aliens then did a couple of ice landings. Rough :D

Attachments

• Intergalactic Spaceport - 1.jpeg
    Intergalactic Spaceport - 1.jpeg
    335.2 KB · Views: 178
  • Ice landing - 1.jpeg
    Ice landing - 1.jpeg
    217.5 KB · Views: 173
  • Ice landing - 1 (1).jpeg
    Ice landing - 1 (1).jpeg
    229.6 KB · Views: 183
SB-00036 REV 1

I tool care of SB-00036 REV 1 and found no cracks. All of the rivets looked the same.

Attachments

• IMG_1346.jpg
    IMG_1346.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 172
photo of inside accessory cover

Decided to replace my engine driven pump for age, hours and oil leakage reasons. Even though I have the Lycoming parts manual and maintenance manual, your photo of the fuel pump drive plunger assembly REALLY HELPED. THANKS! That is the one view not found in my Lycoming docs.

Flew out to KLWB for a good friends Wright Brothers Master Pilot award presentation and lunch. Beautiful day to fly too.

Slight detour coming home to fly over KHSP and checkout The Homestead.

c middle names

My fastest flight ever

On my way back from breakfast I searched for a tail wind and found a nice one about 5000. My indicated was 152kt, True 163kt and GS was 188 kt! I got a little freaked out seeing 188 kt and reduced power being ever confused by GS and True Speed. I asked my mentor and was assured I was OK. I wish I could say it felt different but it felt the same great feeling I always have when there are no bumps!!

Attachments

• flight speed track.jpg
    flight speed track.jpg
    783.7 KB · Views: 85
  • 188 knots.jpg
    188 knots.jpg
    977.1 KB · Views: 120
Finished the IFR training syllabus in the RV-6.

Two hand-flown ILSs (one under the hood) with missed approaches, a hand-flown RNP to a circle-to-land, an autopilot RNP through a BKN layer, two SIDs, a STAR, a daytime visual approach, and an untowered airport instrument departure.

Very satisfying weekend, with the exact kind of weather conditions that led me to start IFR training in the first place.

Next and last step: Check ride. Should have it all finished this time next week.

- mark

I know EXACTLY how hard it is to get an IFR ticket in an RV-6. You are earning that thing for sure, Marc. Please chime in after the check and let us know how it goes.

Go get 'um! v/r,dr

Finished the IFR training syllabus in the RV-6.

Two hand-flown ILSs (one under the hood) with missed approaches, a hand-flown RNP to a circle-to-land, an autopilot RNP through a BKN layer, two SIDs, a STAR, a daytime visual approach, and an untowered airport instrument departure.

Very satisfying weekend, with the exact kind of weather conditions that led me to start IFR training in the first place.

Next and last step: Check ride. Should have it all finished this time next week.

- mark

Dynamically balanced my prop from 0.22 IPS to 0.02 IPS. My AHRS also now passes Garmin’s engine runup vibration test, so I may have solved my AHRS flakiness problem too. Cant wait to confirm in flight!

Speaking of IFR, after setting the mains to a new pressure (45 psi) in a vain attempt to eliminate the gear shimmy that consistently occurs around 15 knots, during taxi and/or rollout, I ran a few circuits to test out the new configuration (verdict: fail) and then flew IFR down to San Diego for a coupled instrument approach into Montgomery Field.

Kind of a momentous day, as I've been slowly expanding my repertoire in this airplane since I got it last summer. I can verify that water doesn't seem to leak into the avionics bay of my tip-up airplane during flight through stratus and cumulus clouds. Rain, however, I'm not so sure about.

On the return leg -- also IFR -- ATC slowed me to 110 knots on the airway and just kept me there all the way up V23. Good thing the scenery is beautiful along the Orange County coastline.

--Ron

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    101.5 KB · Views: 68
I can verify that water doesn't seem to leak into the avionics bay of my tip-up airplane during flight through stratus and cumulus clouds. Rain, however, I'm not so sure about.

Give this a go:
https://vansairforce.net/community/showpost.php?p=1546618&postcount=6

I can't guarantee that it'll work under all conditions, but it's worked under all the conditions I've flown in, which have included bouts of moderate precip.

The thing I don't have a good plan for: What happens when you've landed in the rain, taxied to parking, shut down, and now the canopy is covered in raindrops and they're all going to run down the front when you open it...

(linked post mentions 6" wide film, but 4" is probably a better size, about fifty bucks per roll https://www.amazon.com.au/Scotchgar...WWC/ref=d_pd_sbs_sccl_2_6/358-2662104-6220931)

- mark

Last edited:

And from that semi-assembled view, it appears those oil pump gears could have gone another 27 years without a problem.

I replaced mine in 2003 with 2000 hours on them (per the same AD) and found pretty much zero wear. If I hadn't already had the new gears, I would have reassembled with the old gears.

Another new RV Grin

Took a friend for his first RV flight to see a couple of other RV addicts at KTAN working on a panel upgrade and then took a scenic tour of Cape Code. My friend's wife reported a perma-grin still present at 2300 last night!

Attachments

• Cape Cod 2023-02-13 073237.jpg
    Cape Cod 2023-02-13 073237.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 96
Had leaking caliper due to the cold snap (2nd year in a row) so decided to replace the o rings with the Viton (sp?) version (thanks Dan H), and install new brake pads, I must do many more right turns as the right pads are always more worn than the left. As I had to remove the cowling to bleed I decided to start the condition inspection, engine compartment done, all fine, SB on aileron hinge and SB 36 both fine, no cracks and the new to me Teslong borescope worked well.
Figs

Flew to Colorado

When we left Oklahoma temp, on the ground was 22 deg. f. and wind was gusting to 26 knots. We were bundled up in thermal undies and multiple layers anticipating very cold air at altitude. Perfect chance for Carey to prove her new heated vest and pants. You guessed it! 23 deg. temp inversion, :rolleyes: :) Enjoyed 8 or 9 days in the Rockies just relaxing and watching wildlife. Stayed an extra day just because we can now that retirement has arrived. Flew up and home in CAVU conditions. Oh yeah, the SB00036 inspection was completed before we left... No cracks. Life is good!! Condition inspection to start soon. Now that oil filters are becoming available again my fancy K&P Engineering filter has arrived. :rolleyes: So, I'll be installing that. Been waiting months for it.

Took the -7 for a local hop and some T&Gs.
On return, I saw the new hanger neighbor across the way.
Asked if he wanted a ride in an RV? Yes, of course.

We went for a quick hop. Demonstrated the 'top gun' take off.
Some light acro, and let him pilot around.
On shut down, I teased him that flying in his Mooney next time will not be the same, and that he may get the "RV bug".

Always fun treating others to the RV fun.

Give this a go:
https://vansairforce.net/community/showpost.php?p=1546618&postcount=6

I can't guarantee that it'll work under all conditions, but it's worked under all the conditions I've flown in, which have included bouts of moderate precip.

Brilliant! Thank you. Between that and the avionics cover Abby Erdmann kindly agreed to fabricate for me, the G3X will hopefully live a long and moisture-free life.

As for shutting down in the rain, I haven't done it yet, but I've given it some thought. Obviously having a towel ready inside the airplane would be an easy thing to do. Perhaps a decent blast from the prop prior to shutting down would remove some of the rain from the canopy?

Another option might be to utilize an FBO, where you could radio ahead and ask them to have a line guy gently wipe the canopy top with a towel prior to opening it. You could also wait for a break in the rain if it ever comes. I figure with the avionics OFF, the odds of frying something are lower if an errant drop or two hits the wrong spot, as long as it's all allowed to dry prior to firing up the electronics next.

--Ron

Back