What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fire Containment Bags

Smoke

I would say that smoke is going to be the first issue, possibly followed by a fire. The LiFe batteries typically smoke more than open flame.

Even in a bag, smoke would still be an issue.

That said, proper storage and treatment of these type of batteries will likely prevent an issue. If you Use the right charger, don’t overheat them, and don’t mechanically damage them, they probably aren’t going to burst into flames by themselves.

Keeping in mind that on commercial aircraft, we are trapped inside that aluminum tube with no place to go. Hence all the training and equipment and multiple helpers to handle the sudden onset of a Lithium device fire.

On my airline, we carry a bag up front for an Ipad and a really big one in back for a laptop or two. Once the item is successfully packaged up :)eek:) it's placed in a lav and locked off. Then we go to high flow on the packs and turn the recirc fans off to help keep from gassing everyone onboard.

If you're trying to do all this while flying your cozy little craft with one hand (the one without the fireman glove) and stuffing a burning phone into a bag, all the while trying not to breath too much gas from the fire, and then placing the bag carefully ... somewhere ... maybe under your seat, seems like a big ask.

Opening my canopy and hucking it out into space still seems like a good option!!

Keeping in mind that on commercial aircraft, we are trapped inside that aluminum tube with no place to go. Hence all the training and equipment and multiple helpers to handle the sudden onset of a Lithium device fire.

On my airline, we carry a bag up front for an Ipad and a really big one in back for a laptop or two. Once the item is successfully packaged up :)eek:) it's placed in a lav and locked off. Then we go to high flow on the packs and turn the recirc fans off to help keep from gassing everyone onboard.

If you're trying to do all this while flying your cozy little craft with one hand (the one without the fireman glove) and stuffing a burning phone into a bag, all the while trying not to breath too much gas from the fire, and then placing the bag carefully ... somewhere ... maybe under your seat, seems like a big ask.

Opening my canopy and hucking it out into space still seems like a good option!!

Can you open your canopy in flight? I don’t think I can on my RV6 slider - too much downwash on the aft end of the canopy. Maybe if I slowed to almost stall speed……. that takes a lot of burning time in my fixed pitch slick airplane. Might work, but a bag might be a good interim solution while trying to get configured for opening the canopy. Make sure all three of your hands are available.

About two years ago, I purchased a bag to carry my little 800A 12800mAh portable jump start pack in the airplane.

Have not acquired anything for my notebook yet. This thread makes me think maybe I should.

I just spent three days filming material for a Risk Reduction video series that we’re putting together, and while I don’t want to fault folks for looking at ways to make their flying less risky, I’ll mention that I look at the daily mishap reports pretty frequently, and have done so for years. And I can’t recall a single instance in GA flying where a phone or computer has created a fire/smoke event in flight.

Thats not to say it can’t happen - it just says that it is highly improbable. Much less improbable than, say the 33% of mishaps in experimental aviation caused by mis-control or the 30(ish)% caused by loss of engine power. Systems malfunctions, fuel system issues, electrical failures….yup, they are all represented. So while it is POSSIBLE that your phone or laptop could try to kill you tomorrow in flight, it is more likely that something else will do that first.

So how much effort are you putting into preventing those accidents? As much as you are shopping for fire bags? (BTW, I’ve played with burning stuff that doesn’t want to go out - it is definitely not easy, and you’ll probably be incapacitated before you get it in the bag…. Ever try to put out a road flare?)

Just saying….there is a lot of fertile ground for improvement in what we do….

Paul

I also wouldn't spend too much time worrying about it. As Paul said, from a statistical standpoint it's an extremely low risk.

But if it's high on your priority list, I'd recommend a small bottle of Firebane. Magnesium burns at something like 4000 degrees F. Here's a video of such a fire being put out instantaneously by Firebane. After which the guy in the video immediately grabs the magnesium with his bare hands and holds it like nothing happened.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFrQtRp6R4Y

I've gone through training to deal with portable electronic devices on fire; the basic idea is to douse it with anything liquid that will cool the battery and prevent other cells from catching fire. Water, soda, coffee, whatever you've got.

The idea of tossing it out of the aircraft is appealing, but from what I've seen by the time the device gets to that point you might not be able to touch it.

--Ron

Last edited:
According to google on average 6 million fly everyday around the world. Literally millions of battery powered devices travel in peoples possession EVERYDAY on every airline and we don't hear anything. As the recent fire aboard the airliner here proves, it is possible but when compared to how often it's done... not likely at all.

Last edited:
So how much effort are you putting into preventing those accidents? As much as you are shopping for fire bags? (BTW, I’ve played with burning stuff that doesn’t want to go out - it is definitely not easy, and you’ll probably be incapacitated before you get it in the bag…. Ever try to put out a road flare?)

Just saying….there is a lot of fertile ground for improvement in what we do….

Paul

Great point! Thanks for putting this into perspective. I was beginning to step in this rabbit hole.

You'll notice that when you're boarding your flight to agony & despair (;)) the announcement is made that "if you drop your phone, do not adjust your seat as it may damage the device". My guess is that most incidents are a result of crushed phones overheating and eventually catching fire, probably while charging...

Ejecting smoking things......

You have a window...? and Can you open your canopy in flight?

I had to laugh!:D:D If I had something to throw out of the airplane:eek::eek: while the airplane was flying, I would not have to worry about smoke accumulating or having to put on a smoke mask. The canopy on SuzieQ (an RV-4) would part company with the airplane and there would be an instant breeze.....:D:D:D Problem solved! Well, except that the canopy would be missing just a little.... Good thing I wear a helmet....!:cool: The Cub? No problem. The door is always open anyway. Oops! Did something just fall out? Huh.....:p

Point made above: this is a RARE occurrence. The reason it made the news is it is a rare occurrence and makes for sensational news, which is all the rage these days. Aviation "experts" make me crazy with some of they things they spout out as facts......:mad:

Seems to me that unless you have heat-proof gloves, you won't be able to put a device in its bag or dump it outside, even if you have a way to get it there. You won't be able to safely touch it.

Dave

If I what I have read and seen on the inter-tubes is accurate, the main risks to these batteries is when charging, "overheating", and physical damage. "Manufacturing defects" are also mentioned.

Numbers I've seen are 1 in 10 million batteries fail, but not clear how accurate this is, how it was determined, and does it include all causes.

Assuming about 10 billion of these batteries are created each year, that would mean about 1000 fail every year.

Advise to myself on this is:

1) buy good quality stuff
2) don't charge when flying
3) don't physically damage the batteries
4) don't store a lot of these together, in case one goes off it won't light the other
5) try to avoid storing them where it's hot

If something lights up, toss it in the back seat and try to get on the ground as fast as possible.

... Non-deliberately I’ve been following the above list except charging while flying. I’m guilty of plugging in my iPad, phone and even headset batteries. ...

Same here - I need to balance the risk of fire with the risk of loss of situational awareness if my ipad and iphone run out of juice.

Can you open your canopy in flight? I don’t think I can on my RV6 slider - too much downwash on the aft end of the canopy. Maybe if I slowed to almost stall speed…….
Aside: Your canopy won't move due to *lift* on the canopy, not downwash. If you ever need to close it in flight, slowing to stall speed alone will only raise the nose and increase the lift on the canopy. To unload it, you need to bunt.

Back