Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-21-2022, 10:08 PM

Default Flight training with my oldest Daughter

My oldest has quite a bit of time in the RV over the past 9 years, problem is it’s mostly been point to point XC. She can push the buttons, talk on the radio and hold alt/heading pretty darn good.

High schoolers’ and working dads are pretty busy but we finally settled on Wednesday evenings to prioritize a flight lesson, we’re currently several lessons in. Working on getting access to a traditional trainer at some point but for now the RV can spoil her.

She is NOT a fan of stalls, the questions came up last lesson so I decided it was a good time to try and acclimate her a bit. I used about 20-25% power for a less aggressive power on stall scenario, I demonstrated a couple and gave her the controls. Really wish I woulda captured her first couple reactions but we were busy, learning is occurring……..

View my video at https://andycrabtree.smugmug.com/Fly...mily/i-TLjMgxd
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	47FE81B2-2095-4F20-B0B7-37EC90381922.jpg
Views:	557
Size:	139.1 KB
ID:	31338  Click image for larger version

Name:	BD04F6CC-8D88-4D3D-BF0C-95E790FFE73D.jpg
Views:	374
Size:	135.5 KB
ID:	31339  
Old 09-21-2022, 10:27 PM

She's one lucky girl and you're one lucky dad. Cherish the moments!
Old 09-21-2022, 11:09 PM

Photo 1: You want me to do what? I’m not so sure about this....
Photo 2: Intense determination.
Old 09-22-2022, 06:45 AM

Congrats.
Very few of us Dads or Grand dads, get this privilege.

In this world, we would like our work to be enjoyable, as they say, love your job and never work a day in your life. Well, lots of people have to take what they can get in a job for whatever reason. Our job as parents or grand parents is to help the kids find what they love. So we help expose them to different things like sports or music or construction or aviation or mechanics or even math/engineering, drama/acting, etc. in hopes they discover the path that they love, a gift that will last a lifetime.

Not every parent can personally expose their kids to aviation/flying personally like you can. Some bring their kids to young eagles events etc. So even if your daughter decides......
You have done your part.....again, Congrats
D100-KMD150-660-TT ADI2- AS air/oil seperator. Vetterman exhaust with turndown tips.
Louisa, Virginia KLKU N94TB
Old 09-22-2022, 07:24 AM

I taught two of my daughter to fly while they were still in high school and I'm inclined to believe it helped them get into prestigious universities, Wellesley and Carnegie Mellon. My assumption is it helped make their application unique and noticeable. Both private pilot, one had IFR ticket as a senior.
Old 09-22-2022, 07:30 AM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabandy View Post
Working on getting access to a traditional trainer at some point but for now the RV can spoil her.
My son completed his PPL training a year ago in our 6A. He has never even sat in a classic trainer. While the insurance is steep, I would argue that it is a good bit less expensive to train in your own plane and it better prepares them for flying that plane later on, assuming you plan to let her use the 7 The other advantage is that the extra hours in type help to more quickly get your insurance rates back in line with what you are used to. For very low time pilots, they want to see 100 hours in type to get what I would call reasonable rates. We got my son 100 hours in that first year and the rates dropped back to pretty close to where they were before we added him.

Larry

Last edited by lr172 : 09-22-2022 at 07:37 AM.
Old 09-22-2022, 08:53 AM

So jealous. My kids have no desire.
C-177/172
Piper Warrior
2022 donator
Emp complete
Wings complete
Working on fuselage
Old 09-22-2022, 09:39 AM

Default Flying with your daughter.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabandy View Post
My oldest has quite a bit of time in the RV over the past 9 years, problem is it’s mostly been point to point XC. She can push the buttons, talk on the radio and hold alt/heading pretty darn good.
There are several GREAT things about this thread: the video of her experiencing a stall are priceless! She'll get over that, I'm sure. Unfortunately, most instruction does NOT include stall training! Approach to a stall but not a complete stall. It is also not a requirement of the private check ride. Makes no sense to me. How do you recover from a stall if you have never been in one..... But I digress....

GREAT you are getting her instruction. Looks like she has been flying with you for a while and must enjoy it. I think she got her new puppy with you flying her somewhere.....

GREAT you are getting the younger generation interested in flying. I'm sure her friends are aware and that word can spread. We need younger people coming up to replace us Pelicans.....

GREAT you are getting a girl (soon to be woman....!) interested in flying. She needs to be aware of how few women fly. She is now one of the 7%ers! (Look up Daretofly and get her a 7%er hat and some of those cool T-shirts!) She should also look up Women in Aviation and the 99s and join. Keep her interest UP! Is she an EAA member yet?

Good job! Spread the word....!!
The adventure begins when things stop going as planned - Glen Heggstad
Exempt but still a happy Subscriber!
Old 09-22-2022, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadjunkie1 View Post
Unfortunately, most instruction does NOT include stall training! Approach to a stall but not a complete stall. It is also not a requirement of the private check ride.

I am not sure that's correct. The ACS requires the examiner to evaluate the applicants ability to "recover promptly after a full stall occurs." How do you do that without a complete stall?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-09-22 at 10.59.07 AM.png
Views:	33
Size:	458.9 KB
ID:	31355  
Old 09-22-2022, 12:23 PM

Default Daughter's motivation

My son started his flying lessons before i started my build.

My daughter just started her flying lessons. i asked her why she wants to learn how to fly?

Her response, "I don't want my brother to be the only one that flies your plane"

WARNING! Information presented in this post is my opinion. All users of info have sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for their use.

Dues paid 2022, worth every penny

RV9A- Status:
98% done, 2% left to go
Structure done (less gear)
Electrical/Panel done
Firewall Forward 95% done less baffles and airbox
Fiberglass 95%
www.pilotjohnsrv9.blogspot.com