What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Lemke vs Classic Aero vs Flightline

skelrad

Well Known Member
Friend
Can anyone shed some light on how some of these interior shops differ? I'm having a tough time figuring out what products are an apples to apples comparison in terms of quality and price. For example, Lemke seems to be cheaper than Classic Aero for most things, but I don't know if that's because they are more on par with Classic Aero's cheapest seats, panels, etc, or if they're simply less expensive. Same with Flightline interiors.

For Classic Aero seats, is there an appreciable difference (in the real, butt-in-seat world) between their seat lineup? There's a pretty significant difference in price!

As an aside - I assume that most people who go with custom interiors delete the Van's seats from the finishing kit, yeah? I thought I read somewhere that Van's wasn't as flexible with deletions anymore, but could be making that up.

Can anyone shed some light on how some of these interior shops differ? I'm having a tough time figuring out what products are an apples to apples comparison in terms of quality and price. For example, Lemke seems to be cheaper than Classic Aero for most things, but I don't know if that's because they are more on par with Classic Aero's cheapest seats, panels, etc, or if they're simply less expensive. Same with Flightline interiors.

For Classic Aero seats, is there an appreciable difference (in the real, butt-in-seat world) between their seat lineup? There's a pretty significant difference in price!

As an aside - I assume that most people who go with custom interiors delete the Van's seats from the finishing kit, yeah? I thought I read somewhere that Van's wasn't as flexible with deletions anymore, but could be making that up.

I can't speak of quality and comfort of other offerings other than Classic Aero but I can confirm that Classic Aero seats are absolutely top notch in quality and comfort. I know looks is rather subjective but for my taste I find the Classic Aero looks much nicer. Their customer service is also top notch and being a US company will be a plus should you ever need to have them services. I have had three sets of interior from them and obviously I was extremely happy that I kept going back to them.
In my RV7, I flew CA to GA and CA to Houston TX each all in one day and my butt did not complain a bit :)

I just got a pair of leather seats from Flightline to replace the leather seats from Flightline that the builder had put in 12 years ago. Those older seats are in great shape but I didn’t care for the style (bench, no side bolsters). The new ones are of really great workmanship and Abby was great to work with.

attached pic of pld seats

Attachments

• D9B09448-274C-46B3-B986-B50B577AC463.jpg
    D9B09448-274C-46B3-B986-B50B577AC463.jpg
    479.9 KB · Views: 228
Last edited:
Flightline Interior

Flightline did my interior back in 2006 and it still looks great today. Seats, full carpet and side panels.

Very happy with their service.

I think they all do good work and would add DJ (Cleaveland Tool) to the mix. I decided to go with Lemke due to the design and overall value package but none of them would be a mistake.

Isn’t It Great

We have such wonderful options and choices for our interiors. My flying friend’s Classic is really nice. I have Lemeke and it is really nice. From pictures, a VAF member and reputation is all I had for a preview. 1992 RV6A, and it fits like a glove. The product is of renowned German quality. BMW, PORSCHE, MB leather catalog. Its a great product at a great price.

I did not get the carpet, I rolled my own, using indoor outdoor carpet, no binding needed.

Attachments

• CF342D58-71F4-4617-B816-5140661EE5C3.jpg
    CF342D58-71F4-4617-B816-5140661EE5C3.jpg
    311.6 KB · Views: 253
Roll Your Own

Reply to the OP...seats (cushions) are not part of the finish (or any) kit.

I've bought Oregon Aero cores in the past and had them custom upholstered.

John Siebold
Boise, ID

Hi
I have a Lemke interior in my 6A, the quality is outstanding and Robert was great to deal with. The only mistake I made was not to take in to account how much thicker the seat base and backs are compared to standard Vans foams .
10 out of 10 can’t fault them

Just one clarification point (cause obviously everyone loves the vendor they choose). One fundamental difference in seats is that the Classic Aero seats includes its own seat back frame that is wrapped in leather and has a seat back pocket sewn into it. I’m pretty sure all the other vendors seatbacks fit into the vans supplied seat back frame. Most vendors offer electric seat heat as an option (your wife will thank you) and apparently Lemke offers a ventilated seat option too.

Last edited:
3 Lemke installs that I have experienced are all top notch. We will be using him for our RV10.

BTW, he is an American ;)

Mark me down as another happy Lemke customer. I’m not sure how, put the rv-14 package I got was almost half the price of anyone else. Although most folks go with his leather options I opted for sheepskin for summer/winter comfort.

Attachments

• EB31179E-FDF1-45BB-A6E2-74135F0E5F81.jpeg
    EB31179E-FDF1-45BB-A6E2-74135F0E5F81.jpeg
    679.4 KB · Views: 276
Last edited:
Although I’ve only sat on my Lemke interior whilst the fuselage remains in the comfort of my garage, it is very nicely made and seems comfortable. Looking forward to trying it out for longer in the future!

I have the Lemke Carpets and interior on my RV9A I will definitely be getting the seats in due course, (to replace the standard Vans ones which are very nicely covered in fabric but I'd just prefer the leather option to match the rest of the interior).

Service and comms from Robert Lemke is exceptionally helpful and the quality is excellent, particularly given the very reasonable costs. As I am in the UK buying from a European manufacture made even more sense due to shipping and import tax considerations.

FYI, Flightline is not taking orders at this time. Abby told me yesterday it may be June before they even start taking orders.

I have Flightline in my 14 and am very happy. Abby was great to work with and the interior has held up very well in 3+ years of flying.

Attachments

• 20191116_104749 (Small).jpg
    20191116_104749 (Small).jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 204
  • 20191116_104830 (Small).jpg
    20191116_104830 (Small).jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 187
FYI, Flightline is not taking orders at this time. Abby told me yesterday it may be June before they even start taking orders.

I’m not surprised. I ordered new seats and carpet from her in May of 2021…delivered end of March of 2022. That was almost exactly what she predicted when I originally ordered them. The other places I called were backed up too, but substantially more expensive. I thought, and still do, that Flightline was much more cost-effective that the others I looked at.

I replaced the old seats in my RV-8 last year with seats from Flightline. Abby was really great to work with. The quality is excellent and the price was good. I’d use Flightline again.

Very happy with Classic Aero interior

Four years in and a little over 300 hours - my Classic Aero interior is like new. Luke and Jeremiah are exceptional to work with and they stand behind their products.

Additionally, they are long time advertisers here on VAF, so they help support this forum that we all value so much. I think Flightline does as well, not so sure about Lemke.

I’ve been very happy with the service and the product quality from Lemke.

Attachments

• 9AFC85F4-E81F-473A-AA21-247B7A6E2142.jpg
    9AFC85F4-E81F-473A-AA21-247B7A6E2142.jpg
    531 KB · Views: 212
Lemke Seats

I just installed my seats and side panels from Lemke. Very impressed with the quality- the leather feels very high quality and the workmanship is top notch.

One note I didn’t think about getting the carpet for the center section when I was ordering. I’m not sure if they offer that but I plan to add that at some point as I see some of the other providers also sell that

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lwqpz5imffw1nq5/Photo Jun 16, 1 39 50 PM.jpg?dl=0

Back