Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV Building Tips/Techniques
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-23-2021, 11:45 AM

Default First engine start: Hardware store bolts through spars?

I still have my wings attached with long 7/16" hardware store bolts that have the threads ground off. I'd like to make sure there are no leaks anywhere, and no other reasons to pull the wings off, before finally replacing with the proper close tolerance bolts. I don't want to ever have to take those puppies out in the future. What tests can be safely done without the close tolerance bolts? I assume the fuel flow test is fine, but what about spinning the prop to get oil pressure? First engine start? Taxiing? At what point should those tight bolts go in for good?
Donated 12/31/2020
RV-7A (N12VD): Finishing final tasks for engine-start and airworthiness!
Old 11-23-2021, 12:09 PM

Default Very Good Question

Very Good Question. Ideally i am in the same boat. i would like to do first engine start with hardware store bolts, and then pull wings and move to flight test airport where I will install proper hardware.
I don't think taxi tests will be good. Also, I think my insurance does not want any movement under own power unless ready for flight (signed off).

WARNING! Information presented in this post is my opinion. All users of info have sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for their use.

Dues paid 2021, worth every penny

RV9A- Status:
95% done, 5% left to go
Electrical/Panel done
Firewall Forward 95% done (waiting on fiberglass to be done)
Fiberglass 5%
www.pilotjohnsrv9.blogspot.com
Old 11-23-2021, 01:16 PM

I think you are fine to do first engine start and everything leading up to that.
I climbed up on my wings in the wing walk area many times without issue. They are not going anywhere.
2017 Waco YMF-5
RV-14 Kit # 140694
First Flight - June 22, 2021
2021 Dues Paid
Old 11-23-2021, 02:04 PM

Well, if you're done pulling the wings off, why not go ahead and put the close tolerance bolts in and torque 'em down? What's the downside to putting all of the correct bolts in? Maybe I'm leaning to the side of caution, but I would want ALL of the bolts that hold the wings on if the fuel lines are connected for an engine run. True, if you're just doing a run-up, there's really not much strain on those connections and you could do what you wanted. But if the ground-down hardware store bolts don't have nuts, your connection to the spars isn't as Van's designed and you could potentially have an unintended bending moment around that connection.

Just a thought, but why not wait until everything is about ready to fly, then perform an all up test with all of the connections finalized? After all, you're not going to have to pull the wings if the engine doesn't start. Just make sure you have the nut plates installed on the bottom fuselage skin before calling it a day. But I'm assuming you've got those in and have drilled the rear spar holes in accordance with the instructions.

And yes, check with your insurance carrier to see how they define "not in motion" (builder's insurance) versus in motion or an airworthy aircraft. First engine runs are memorable events, and usually for all the right reasons. But in the unlikely event that something goes south, you want to make sure the insurance has your back.
Old 11-23-2021, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draker View Post
... I'd like to make sure there are no leaks anywhere, and no other reasons to pull the wings off, before finally replacing with the proper close tolerance bolts. ...
As others have said, I don't think at this point you will need to remove the wings to fix anything. I'd put in the final bolts and avoid starting the engine until you are really ready to fly.
Old 11-23-2021, 02:37 PM

What would require wing removal at this point? Install the final hardware and be done.
Erich
Old 11-23-2021, 02:41 PM

No problem with the standard bolts... But, engine start should be days before airworthiness paperwork and first flight. Why start the engine before everything else is done? Also, non-broken in cylinders are more prone to corrosion it's said.
Old 11-23-2021, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erich weaver View Post
What would require wing removal at this point? Install the final hardware and be done.
Erich
Worried mostly about fuel leaks from the fitting on the tanks, but now that I think about it, you can remove the tanks without removing the wings, and it's probably easier (?!) Hmm, I'm getting convinced to just put the bolts in now.
Donated 12/31/2020
RV-7A (N12VD): Finishing final tasks for engine-start and airworthiness!
Old 11-23-2021, 06:17 PM

Default Me thinks

I as thinking of getting first start done and then pulling wings off and send to paint before first flight

WARNING! Information presented in this post is my opinion. All users of info have sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for their use.

Dues paid 2021, worth every penny

RV9A- Status:
95% done, 5% left to go
Electrical/Panel done
Firewall Forward 95% done (waiting on fiberglass to be done)
Fiberglass 5%
www.pilotjohnsrv9.blogspot.com
Old 11-23-2021, 06:46 PM

Default Thread drift

Just curious, Iím at the same point as you. What your kit number is? Iím 74775. I like to see where Iím at amongst kit numbers and completions.