Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-2021, 05:22 PM

Default JUST RELEASED (November 18, 2021) New and Improved Van's Aircraft Online Store

To the VAF Family -

It's been a lonnnng time coming, but we're super excited to announce that we've released our new online web e-commerce store, and you can access it at http://store.vansaircraft.com now before we announce it to the rest of the world. We will be sending invitation emails to all of our customers' email addresses soon, as well, but if you want the sneak-peek, here's your opportunity!

There's so much that's new, we really can't list everything here - but here are a few of the highlights:
  • All new modern look and feel and substantially better technology under the hood, with better content organization
  • Substantially improved product/catalog searching
  • Photos and technical drawings of parts and products to help in identification
  • Detailed specifications (sizes, lengths, material, etc.) for hardware and other standard parts
  • Filter the items you’re viewing by various parameters, including applicable RV model, hardware specs, and more
  • Cross-reference part numbers and identifiers on items that are known by multiple names/codes
  • Browse the parts and hardware included in the kit for your RV
  • Create and sign into your very own Van’s store account
    • Save items on a list of future purchases
    • Associate your kit(s)/airplane(s) with your account and connect part orders to an airplane
    • View the most recent digital plans for your RV model
    • Quickly access service information documents for your RV model
    • Securely save as many billing and shipping addresses, payment methods, and other useful pieces of information as you like, to avoid re-typing on subsequent visits
  • Emails are generated when your order status changes, covering the initial order, invoice, shipped status, and more
  • Tracking info for shipments is included in email and account notifications
  • Access the history of all orders made on the new system, including the ability to quickly re-order items from your history when needed
  • Product Q&A – Have a question? Submit a question on the product page to help others when they’re shopping for the same products in the future.
  • The current stock status of each product is shown, so you can know what’s in stock and what’s not as you place your order
  • You’ll be presented an option at checkout when necessary, so you can choose to wait until all backordered items are ready to ship, or have us ship each item on your order as they’re available
  • Tax is now calculated before you check out where required (note: we’re still working on being able to provide shipping quotes at checkout in a future release, and we know everyone wants this as much as we do – turns out that’s a pretty complex and significant amount of work!)
We still have a number of smaller user interface enhancements and improvements that we will be making over the next day and weeks. We hope you’ll enjoy the new store and find it to be useful in your future Van’s Aircraft shopping and purchases!

We want to thank the many Van's customers who volunteered to help test the new store over the past few months as well as several of our employees and contractors! I'll include that thank-you note in the next post.

Some screen grabs are below, but be sure to go check it out for yourself!

Building RV-8A since Sept 2014
Dual AFS 5600, Avidyne IFD 440, Whirlwind 74RV, Superior XP IO-360
VAF build thread - Flickr photo album - Project Facebook page
Aurora, OR (EAA Chapter 105)

Old 11-18-2021, 05:37 PM

I wanted to recognize and thank a few key people here at Van’s for their extra-dedicated attention to this huge project. I hope it's okay to do this in the public forum. These folks are not often recognized publicly and this effort deserves it. Plus it's an opportunity for you to hear about people at Van's whom you might not otherwise know about!
  • Jordon Rustad from our IT department has put in endless hours and has done a tremendous amount of complex work on this store project. Between managing and transforming massive sets of data, and working miracles several times throughout the project, he’s really knocked it out of the park!
  • Jasmine Hudnall from our front office ops team has done an incredible job of mapping out internal business logic and processes to define how the store should work, discovering bugs, testing, employee training, testing, testing… You get the idea! Driving improvements in our ERP system, as well as the new web store software, has been a critical part of making this happen and it’s taken a while! Jasmine has stuck with it and chased things down until they’re good to go.
  • Nancy Baird from our Orders team has been testing, processing store purchases made by participating test customers and providing terrific feedback about business as well as customer needs and functionality. That means she’s been processing lots of orders from two web stores lately, which is quite an extra workload!
  • Kevin Miller from our tech support team has spent a big chunk of time recently working through a ton of product names and helping get them in a place where they’re more customer-friendly.
  • Conner Lader, who put a lot of time in on the back-end processes and workflow that lets us display and update plans/kit assembly instructions on the My Aircraft page.
  • and a slew of others who have worked on the project internally over the past many months.

In addition, throughout this project we’ve worked with a terrific team of software developers from a company called Harmonic Northwest. Gage, David, Eric, Tristan, Cameron, and Chen have helped us through complicated system integration issues and assisted in making improvements, in addition to building and customizing a modern web-store platform that will serve us all well into the future. Their partnership has allowed us to tackle new projects and advance our online capabilities, one step at a time.

Again, we hope you like it and look forward to your feedback!

Building RV-8A since Sept 2014
Dual AFS 5600, Avidyne IFD 440, Whirlwind 74RV, Superior XP IO-360
VAF build thread - Flickr photo album - Project Facebook page
Aurora, OR (EAA Chapter 105)

Last edited by greghughespdx : 11-19-2021 at 12:14 PM.
Old 11-18-2021, 05:56 PM

Default New Web Store

It's about t.....no, wait, CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!

Can't wait to try it out.

Now, about my finish kit....... j/k

Laird
Old 11-18-2021, 06:07 PM

Default Great, Fantastic, etc etc

Wonderful news. I just logged in, made an account & added my aircraft, all very easy.

Kudos to the Van's team for coming up with another way to help ensure that this fool and his money are easily parted!
Old 11-18-2021, 06:07 PM

Super awesome Greg!
Private pilot, ASEL!
EAA 105 Chapter 7S3
Bi-annual financial contributor

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena..." Teddy Roosevelt
Old 11-18-2021, 06:37 PM

I was just on the web store about an hour or so ago and was still the old style. How fast things can change.
Old 11-18-2021, 07:31 PM

Default WOW!

What a dramatic improvement in the Van's online store experience!!! I will definitely be shopping on this site a lot more often. Congratulations to the team at Van's that made this happen!
Old 11-18-2021, 07:50 PM
Super Moderator

I "test drove" the new site a few days ago and IMO it is a vast improvement. The search function works much better and is more forgiving if you don't know the exact nomenclature for what you are searching for. A nice feature, I believe, is that images of the parts drop down under the search box as you are typing. Also, you can put items on a wish list for later review.

Thanks to Van's team. I know how tough this is to implement. I appreciate it.

Chris
Lycoming O-360-A1A, Hartzell CS
52F (Northwest Regional, TX)
Old 11-18-2021, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsilvmac View Post
What a dramatic improvement in the Van's online store experience. I will definitely be shopping on this site a lot more often. Congratulations to the team at Van's that made this happen!
As someone who has been fortunate enough to preview this new store during beta testing I completely agree. It's orders of magnitude easier to navigate, find specific items, add items to the cart and save lists, shipping addresses, account info and payment options. While I'm sure there will be a few bugs to work out along the way, my experiences in the store have been great. Formerly I often dreaded having to look up and order parts from the old store, this new one modernizes the experience and makes the process as easy and seamless as using any other online site. Great job, Van's team!

Last edited by No_0ne : 11-18-2021 at 08:00 PM.
Old 11-18-2021, 08:01 PM

Default New Store Issue

The new store looks great! I created an account, associated my plane with it, etc. I did notice an issue while I was poking around though. Didn't find anywhere to report a problem on the website - so I thought I would post it here.

After you log in and go to your associated plane, it gives the option to download the plans for your plane (Greg mentioned this as a feature). Unfortunately, it gave me the plans for an RV-8 (I have a -7) and a lot of the drawings are missing.

Not complaining - just thought the Vans crew would like the feedback.
First Flight July 26th, 2014
837 hours and counting . . . .
28 Pilots N Paws Flights
Now based at Moontown (3M5)