-POSTING RULES
-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > RV Firewall Forward Section > Traditional Aircraft Engines
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-19-2021, 01:49 AM

Default Fuel pressure sender broken, which replacement?

Hello

Yesterday at run up, the fuel pressure alarm goes on ... to high fuel pressure. Ok, no flying.
I measured 65 Ohm with no pressure (unit removed).
Compared to the oil pressure sender, there I read about 6 Ohm with no pressure. So this unit is gone!
Ground of the case, the pressure manifold and the one for the engine are fine.

Type is a 0-80 PSI, single post, VDO, made in Germany. Hooked up to a Advanced 3400s EFIS/EM

On ACS I found many oil pressure senders that would fit, but no one mention fuel pressure!?

Can I just take an oil pressure sender of the correct range and it is fine for FUEL also?

Thanks a lot!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fuel pressure sender.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	15958  

RV-7A, TMX-IO-320, FM-150, WWA 200RV
Flying since 28. April 2016

Last edited by swisseagle : 09-19-2021 at 07:59 AM. Reason: spelling corrected, more information.
Old 09-19-2021, 05:00 AM

No identification on old so you purchase same? What gauge does the sender feed? Most EFIS dictate sender by brand part number. No, I don’t think comparing to oil sender is a correct approach…. pressure range not in same range. Need more info to help. One time event, not sure replacing is right approach….several times high, maybe issue, but one time…check your wiring, especially ground.
Old 09-19-2021, 06:10 AM

A lot would depend on the device you’re using to actually read the pressure. If it’s not a simple mechanical gauge, it’s likely to be calibrated to that specific pressure sender. I replaced both of my Kavlico oil and fuel pressure senders due to the “service advisory” warning of their potential failure from a year or so ago. No big deal, but I did have to change the model number in the admin settings of my EFIS in order for them to correctly display the pressure readings on my EFIS.

FWIW, the replacements recommended by Kavlico, AFS, Garmin, and Dynon for both the “bad” fuel pressure and oil pressure senders was the same 0-150 PSI sensor. The original units were different model numbers and each had different pressure ranges, new ones are the same.
AFS 5400/3500, G5, 430W, some other stuff

Last edited by MacCool : 09-19-2021 at 06:18 AM.
Old 09-19-2021, 06:31 AM

Default Sender details

Can OP please post a picture of the old sender? Otherwise it's a bit hard to give good suggestions.

ACS listing for VDO senders states they must not be used in aircraft or in fuel systems. I suspect that this is a liability issue. The sender just measures pressure whether it's oil, air, water or fuel and it doesn't know if it's fitted to an airplane, car or tractor.
Building RV-6A #22320 O-320 FP. Wings and tail complete, working on fuselage
Flying my Aeroprakt A-22 STOL and the aero club's RV-9A while I build
Old 09-19-2021, 07:31 AM

Just uploaded the picture of the broken sensor, see first post.

I would not like to replace it with a new style "chip-sensor", because then I have to rewire 5V supply to the sensor. So I'm looking for the same as it was, single post.

Grounding is fine, on the sensor case, on the pressure manifold and also on the engine.

Hooked up to a Advanced 3400s EFIS/EM

RV-7A, TMX-IO-320, FM-150, WWA 200RV
Flying since 28. April 2016

Last edited by swisseagle : 09-19-2021 at 08:00 AM.
Old 09-19-2021, 07:48 AM

FWIW, for my fuel and oil pressures, I have 2 identical Kavlico "fluid pressure sensors". They are not specifically labelled for fuel or oil.
Both rated 0-150 PSI. Both feed the EMS that feed the EFIS. Itself configured to display 0-150 PSI digital gauges.
If your setup is digital, I would say that the pressure range is not relevant (within what pressure you want to measure). Only that the EFIS is correctly configured.

If your setup is mechanical gauges, then yes, I would say that your pressure range should correspond to the actual gauge's range.
The brand of sensor should not be revelant...
RV-8 slow built #83274
Grove Airfoiled Gear, Wheels & Brakes
VPX-Pro, EFII System 32, EarthX batteries
Aerosport IO-375, MTV-9-B/183
Skyview HDX
C-GEMQ
Final inspection done!! Waiting for CofA
C-72R Cutlass, flying
Old 09-19-2021, 08:38 AM

I had the same thing happen to me this summer (AFS 4500). I bought one directly from Advanced. Fast service, and the correct sensor.
Old 09-19-2021, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riseric View Post
FWIW, for my fuel and oil pressures, I have 2 identical Kavlico "fluid pressure sensors". They are not specifically labelled for fuel or oil.
Both rated 0-150 PSI. Both feed the EMS that feed the EFIS. Itself configured to display 0-150 PSI digital gauges.
If your setup is digital, I would say that the pressure range is not relevant (within what pressure you want to measure). Only that the EFIS is correctly configured.

If your setup is mechanical gauges, then yes, I would say that your pressure range should correspond to the actual gauge's range.
The brand of sensor should not be revelant...
It varies from sensor to sensor. Prior to the recent safety advisory that required switching from the old Kavlico sensors to the new 150 psi ones for both oil and fuel, they were different sensors with different pressure ranges.

Any, OP mentioned that he didn't want to switch over to a system like the Kavlicos that required 5 volt power. I can understand that...is is a hassle.
AFS 5400/3500, G5, 430W, some other stuff
Old 09-19-2021, 10:44 AM

Default Google

Found this

https://www.amazon.com/VDO-360-801-P...a-730116863894
Old 09-19-2021, 10:51 AM

Default Found this too

https://vansairforce.net/community/s...d.php?t=192515