- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 09-12-2021, 10:50 AM

Default CQ Headset with Bluetooth!

The CQ Headset is now available with fully integrated Bluetooth functionality. Our unique Bluetooth headset control is a new in-house design, not a third party product add on or afterthought. I believe it is currently the smallest and lightest Bluetooth headset control available on any aviation headset, allowing a fully featured media playback and telephone call experience with our simplified one-button interface.

The CQ Headset with Bluetooth features a full authority digital signal processor that has been painstakingly tuned specifically for our entire sound delivery system to deliver simply astonishing music quality. Hear the difference for yourself by plugging into the 3.5mm input that is still available and is not processed by the DSP. Another unique feature is our onboard microcontroller based auto-Pause/Mute to react to aircraft audio. When enabled, radio com will trigger a pause of your media playback instead of simply muting the audio so you don't miss a radio call. This was a critical design feature for a certain VIP that enjoys listening to audio books while in cruise and is not available in any other aviation headset that I'm aware of. Don't miss that frequency change radio call, but don't let your audio book just run on while muted, we can pause and resume it instead.

We utilize an internal battery that is recharged via a standard USB-C port and is field replaceable. Internal voice prompts annunciate control state changes and battery levels are reported and displayed on your mobile device.

Our new Bluetooth CQ Headset control uses the same headset to aircraft radio circuitry as the proven CQ1. It has the same base features of the CQ1 such as our adjustable mic gain which is unique to any other in-the-ear headset. This means that battery power is still not used or needed for consistent aircraft radio operations. The complete loss of battery power only affects the non-critical Bluetooth media features. In fact, the LEMO panel powered version of our Bluetooth control does not utilize the internal battery at all when receiving ship power. It is worth noting that microphone functionality for phone calls does require being connected to a normal aircraft providing microphone bias voltage.

We only develop products that we have a use case for. "But my airplane already has a Bluetooth audio panel." Yes, ours does too, but we usually fly with two pilots aboard that have very different media listening tastes. We've found it much simpler to be in complete control of what is in our own ears at all times without having to mess with aircraft buttonology. So, this headset has been flying since the beginning of 2021 and shipping since June. Global chip logistics have been a significant challenge to bringing it to all that have asked for it over the last few years. For all those that have commented or thought, "If only it had Bluetooth", here it is!

The CQ Headset with Bluetooth is now available with either dual GA plugs or LEMO powered connectors. Visit https://cqheadset.com/ for more info.
RV-9A N4822C flying 2200+hrs. / Cedar Park, TX
RV8 Building - fuselage / showplanes canopy (Done!)
VAF Advertiser
Old 09-12-2021, 06:26 PM

Default CQ headset

Congratulations! If it performs as well as my 2 CQ headsets do, can't see it not being a huge hit!
Old 09-12-2021, 07:25 PM

The price is $725.00... with no ANR? How does it compare to other in-ear headsets?

Faro Air Lightweight In-Ear Pilot Headset - Fixed Wing $329.99

ANR L2 Hi-Lite in ear aviation headset $379.99 (this one has ANR which is interesting for in-ear headset)

L1 in-ear Aviation Headset UFQ pilot headsets $199.99 (pretty good price, good reviews)

The two UFQ headsets above have a Bluetooth adapter you can add on (probably can add it on to any headseat with AUX in audio.
UFQ aviation headset bluetooth adapter BA-01 $19.95

2021 Dues Paid

Last edited by gmcjetpilot : 09-12-2021 at 07:39 PM.
Old 09-13-2021, 06:30 AM

I think George does a good job demonstrating that a CQ Headset is definitely a premium product that is NOT simply a minimum cost rebranded item from China. A CQ Headset with bluetooth and GA plugs starts at $675.
VAF Advertiser
Old 09-17-2021, 03:55 PM

Default The music sound clarity is WOW!

Capt Sandy and I have flown with CQ1 headsets for almost 3 years and almost 600 hours. We LOVE our CQ1's. We recently upgraded to Bluetooth. The BT sound is WOW! I can hear details in music with BT that I have not ever heard. See https://www.kitplanes.com/cq-cq-the-...et-from-texas/ for a recent Kitplanes review of the original CQ1 headset.

My main motivation for getting BT is to be able to make a phone call from the plane to get an Instrument Clearance. N174RT does not have a BT audio panel. The cable to connect the panel to my iPhone 8 is rare and expensive. And marginal voice quality with the cable. I tested BT phone calls from my plane using the CQ1 with BT WITH the engine running. The receiving end of the call can't tell I'm in a plane with the engine running and I can hear them clearly. I'm very happy with the ease and clarity of phone calls with the CQ1 BT.

Capt Sandy enjoyed an audio book on our recent cross-county from Dallas to KHIO. She says the thing she enjoys most about CQ1 BT is the "auto pause" feature that automatically pauses when I speak or when ATC comes over the radio. This allows her to listen to her audiobook and still be an active participant in our flight.

Scott did not mention the upgrade cost. I think they charge the difference in the original purchase price of the CQ1 and the CQ1 BT for current owners to upgrade.

Regards,

N174RT (RV-7A) first flight 5/31/11, 1890hrs as of Sept 2021:
Tip-up, Lycon IO-360 EXP, WW 74HRT, AFS 5600T, AF-Pilot, IFD440, SL-30, echoUAT, D100 for backup, CQ1 headsets, CMW E-Lift

Our other riveted aluminum monocoque RV is a 2012 25' Eddie Bauer Airstream

Past aluminum monocoque vehicles:
N601RT (CH601HDS) First flight 5/03, 1550hrs after flying 8 years: 912ULS, GNS430W, SL-30, D10A Sold
1995 Midnight Pearl NSX w/BBSC Sold

EAA Chapter 105 board member 2010->2015
Old 09-17-2021, 08:19 PM

Scott,

Seems your CQ1 keeps getting better and better. Now with BT! I have a pair of Halos that have only hangar flown to this point. Getting closer by the decade to flying my -7. The Halos sound pretty good, and I've used them with renta' planes, too. I'm curious...do the CQ1s have a bit more bass? The Halos sound a little "tinny" to me. I love depth of sound. Example: Listen to "The Cars" on each to compare. They really utilize stereo and layering of sound. Make me spend even more cash!!!
2021 VAF SUPPORTER

Last edited by SeanB : 09-17-2021 at 08:25 PM.
Old 09-17-2021, 09:14 PM

Andy,
I am interested in trying the bluetooth version but don't want to risk the purchase price on not liking it as much as my Halo, which I love. Do you have a return policy, or some other opportunity to try before you buy?
$10/month donation gratefully made (worth every penny and painless)
Old 09-17-2021, 09:15 PM

Sorry, I meant Scott! Different Card.
$10/month donation gratefully made (worth every penny and painless)
Old 09-18-2021, 05:38 AM

Scott-
Can you outline upgrade cost and turnaround time for current CQ1 owners?
Thanks!
Old 09-18-2021, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cccjbr6 View Post
Andy,
I am interested in trying the bluetooth version but don't want to risk the purchase price on not liking it as much as my Halo, which I love. Do you have a return policy, or some other opportunity to try before you buy?
You're only real risk to try is a few bucks shipping. From our web store: RETURN POLICY We offer a 30 day money back guarantee on our headsets so that you can try them out in your own aircraft.

I'm confident that you'll notice that a CQ Headset is a very different product than what you're used to once you get one in your hands.
VAF Advertiser