VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

-POSTING RULES
-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.


Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > Reviews
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-26-2021, 03:00 PM
WingsOnWheels WingsOnWheels is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Plano, TX
Posts: 2,232
Default Catto Nickel Leading Edge

I have a 2 blade Catto on my O-360 powered 6A. At about 110 hobbs hours I discovered numerous cord-wise cracks in the nickel leading edges, both on the face and back. In addition to the cracks, a tap-test revealed delamination of the nickel. Of course the prop had to go back for repairs.

Unfortunately for a slow-builder like me, Catto's warranty is based on calendar time from delivery, not first flight or operational hours. The repair was not covered under warranty. Due to all the COVID supply chain issues, the quoted 4-week repair turned into 2.5 months (including airventure week...boo). The cost of repairs and shipping was a little more than half the purchase price of the prop.

So, my recomendation is to avoid the nickel leading edges. They seem to be a point of failure and the repair cost is high.
To date, the hourly maintenace cost of my FP prop is higher than the engine, including OH reserve.



__________________
Colin P.
RV-6A #20603
Complete 5/10/19
PP SEL / A&P
I donate every year on my B-Day (in Dec), but donated early in Sep'19.

Last edited by WingsOnWheels : 08-31-2021 at 01:48 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-26-2021, 04:07 PM
wcalvert's Avatar
wcalvert wcalvert is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Anacortes Wa
Posts: 299
Default

Colin,

Sorry to hear about your issues. Can you offer the crowd some more information, specifically when the prop was manufactured and details of storage etc.

I'm having a hard time imagining how 110 hours of operation could cause a failure like you had, so I'm just trying to wrap my head around that. As you might guess, I too have a NLE prop from Catto.

Here's hoping for some uneventful flight hours in the future!

Cheers
__________________
RV-7 Tipper
Bill (Wild) VA-165 '90-'93
Anacortes, Wa

First Flight 7/17/2021!!
- Been there, Donated 2021
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-26-2021, 04:18 PM
Northernliving Northernliving is offline
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 584
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingsOnWheels View Post
I have a 2 blade Catto on my O-360 powered 6A. At about 110 hobbs hours I discovered numerous cord-wise cracks in the nickel leading edges, both on the face and back. In addition to the cracks, a tap-test revealed delamination of the nickel. Of course the prop had to go back for repairs.

Unfortunately for a slow-builder like me, Catto's warranty is based on calendar time from delivery, not first flight or operational hours. The repair was not covered under warranty. Due to all the COVID supply chain issues, the quoted 4-week repair turned into 3.5 months (including airventure week...boo). The cost of repairs and shipping was a little more than half the purchase price of the prop.

So, my recomendation is to avoid the nickel leading edges. They seem to be a point of failure and the repair cost is high.
To date, the hourly maintenace cost of my FP prop is higher than the engine, including OH reserve.
My first RV8 ride was with Bob Ellis in Ireland and I recalled he had a similar problem. Perhaps it's from the same vintage. Not too much detail, and Bob no longer has the plane, but here is his post.

http://www.mykitlog.com/users/displa...=192426&row=76
__________________
Brian J.
Boston, MA
RV8 Based at ORH - Purchased
RV8 - The Project #83313 - Under Construction
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-26-2021, 04:39 PM
WingsOnWheels WingsOnWheels is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Plano, TX
Posts: 2,232
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcalvert View Post
Colin,

Sorry to hear about your issues. Can you offer the crowd some more information, specifically when the prop was manufactured and details of storage etc.

I'm having a hard time imagining how 110 hours of operation could cause a failure like you had, so I'm just trying to wrap my head around that. As you might guess, I too have a NLE prop from Catto.

Here's hoping for some uneventful flight hours in the future!

Cheers
I have spoken with a number or builders that have had similar issues. Not what I would consider a statistically significant number, so just anecdotal. My prop sat for a good 4+ years before first flight. It was stored in the house, so the temperature and humidity changes were minimal. The airplane is hangared and has been since day 1. The plane has flown through light rain 3-4 times and been on the ramp in the rain a couple times.
__________________
Colin P.
RV-6A #20603
Complete 5/10/19
PP SEL / A&P
I donate every year on my B-Day (in Dec), but donated early in Sep'19.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-27-2021, 02:33 AM
Stewbronco Stewbronco is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Langley BC
Posts: 231
Default When did you purchase your prop

Would I be correct in assuming that your prop was purchased in 2016-1017?
Did CATTO give any insight as to cause ? Hugely disappointing that CATTO didn't warranty that ! Certainly seems far less than would reasonably be expected. They get good reviews on VAF ....Thanks. Stew

Last edited by Stewbronco : 08-27-2021 at 03:10 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-27-2021, 06:59 AM
MarkW's Avatar
MarkW MarkW is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Edgewater, FL. X50
Posts: 1,174
Default

I have a Catto three blade with the NLE from 2013.
So far no issues and I would not have a composite prop without the NLE.
I fly in a lot of rain and damage would be significant without.
__________________
Mark
RV9 - N14MW - Flying
G3X - ECI Titan I0-320
Catto three blade prop
http://www.mykitlog.com/MarkW
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-27-2021, 01:00 PM
smt6 smt6 is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: SoCal
Posts: 325
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingsOnWheels View Post
I have spoken with a number or builders that have had similar issues. Not what I would consider a statistically significant number, so just anecdotal. My prop sat for a good 4+ years before first flight. It was stored in the house, so the temperature and humidity changes were minimal. The airplane is hangared and has been since day 1. The plane has flown through light rain 3-4 times and been on the ramp in the rain a couple times.
I replaced the NLE twice, both within 100 hours of each other and on a prop with less than ~400 TT. After the second time, I told them to repair, but remove the NLE. To their credit, the service was solid, but the product just isn't right.....still. Shouldn't be paying that kind of money and be AOG for 90 days. Like you, I've heard quite a few complaints regarding the NLE. I tell everyone to avoid the NLE if they're going Catto. FWIW, I enjoyed flying behind their props aside from the above issue.
__________________
2021 Dues Paid
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-27-2021, 02:46 PM
WingsOnWheels WingsOnWheels is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Plano, TX
Posts: 2,232
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by smt6 View Post
I replaced the NLE twice, both within 100 hours of each other and on a prop with less than ~400 TT. After the second time, I told them to repair, but remove the NLE. To their credit, the service was solid, but the product just isn't right.....still. Shouldn't be paying that kind of money and be AOG for 90 days. Like you, I've heard quite a few complaints regarding the NLE. I tell everyone to avoid the NLE if they're going Catto. FWIW, I enjoyed flying behind their props aside from the above issue.
If I had know at the onset of the repair that it was not covered under warranty, I probably would have done the same and just added prop-tape. Unfortunately, I found out the day I received the invoice, after the work was complete. That said, I should have been more aware of what the warranty covered, just two calendar years from delivery.
__________________
Colin P.
RV-6A #20603
Complete 5/10/19
PP SEL / A&P
I donate every year on my B-Day (in Dec), but donated early in Sep'19.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-27-2021, 05:38 PM
WillyEyeBall's Avatar
WillyEyeBall WillyEyeBall is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Daleville, AL
Posts: 354
Exclamation when NLE comes off in flight

Ditto on the nickel leading edge (NLE) with my two blade Catto, except half of one side came off at 6500 feet. Tremendous vibration. As Iím rapidly descending, realize itís not the engine, and I found an rpm and airspeed that minimized the vibrations and I could maintain altitude. Made it back to home field where I discovered the NLE departure. Replaced the Catto with a wood Performance Prop, and when having it balanced, found the engine was out of balance. Time since last overhaul was 1700 hours. Most of those hours were aerobatic practice with G meter showing +5, -3 Gs on every flight. Catto prop and engine sent back for overhauls. No charge for the prop overhaul with 13 monthsí time on prop, 150 hours, and no NLE this time. Great prop and company, but I donít trust the NLE. The outcome could have been worse.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-27-2021, 09:15 PM
WingsOnWheels WingsOnWheels is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Plano, TX
Posts: 2,232
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyEyeBall View Post
Ditto on the nickel leading edge (NLE) with my two blade Catto, except half of one side came off at 6500 feet. Tremendous vibration. As I’m rapidly descending, realize it’s not the engine, and I found an rpm and airspeed that minimized the vibrations and I could maintain altitude. Made it back to home field where I discovered the NLE departure. Replaced the Catto with a wood Performance Prop, and when having it balanced, found the engine was out of balance. Time since last overhaul was 1700 hours. Most of those hours were aerobatic practice with G meter showing +5, -3 Gs on every flight. Catto prop and engine sent back for overhauls. No charge for the prop overhaul with 13 months’ time on prop, 150 hours, and no NLE this time. Great prop and company, but I don’t trust the NLE. The outcome could have been worse.
That sounds like a scary situation. One I could have experienced if I hadn't caught the cracks, or they had progressed faster. Back when the NLE were new, Catto had problems with them shedding in flight. By time I bought mine, I thought the kinks had been worked out.
__________________
Colin P.
RV-6A #20603
Complete 5/10/19
PP SEL / A&P
I donate every year on my B-Day (in Dec), but donated early in Sep'19.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:59 AM.


The VAFForums come to you courtesy Delta Romeo, LLC. By viewing and participating in them you agree to build your plane using standardized methods and practices and to fly it safely and in accordance with the laws governing the country you are located in.