VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

-POSTING RULES
-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

  #1  
Old 08-24-2021, 08:22 AM
jeffkersey's Avatar
jeffkersey jeffkersey is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Cottontown, TN
Posts: 312
Default Ring Gear?

Did a search on the forum and could not find an answer to my question so here it is...

A couple months ago I had a starter gear come apart and damage my ring gear. One tooth totally gone and a few others buggered up. I used a grinder and file to straighten and clean it up a little. It had been starting fine. Recently, I heard a change in the sound and I could tell it was slipping and making a bit of a grinding sound. Pulled the cowl and I have lost another tooth on the ring gear. Don't want to get stuck somewhere, would not even attempt a hand prop with my high compression Io-360 with a 3 blade prop. Too dangerous in my opinion.

I have a new ring gear on its way. Anyone have any experience swapping out a ring gear? I found youtube video of an auto mechanic using a torch to heat it up and knock it off. Then heating up the new one on dropping it on the support with no problem. Is this the same process for the lycoming? Does anyone know what metal the support wheel that has the belt pulley is made of?
Should I put it in the freezer then heat up the ring gear? Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

I do plan to go ahead and swap out the alternator belt while I have the prop off.
__________________
Jeff Kersey
RV7A Purchased Flying
Dues paid

Last edited by jeffkersey : 08-24-2021 at 08:40 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-24-2021, 08:46 AM
scard's Avatar
scard scard is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Cedar Park, TX
Posts: 3,357
Default

I've done it. Small abrasive cutting disk to very carefully cut the existing gear almost all the way through. A "tap" with a cold chisel to break it the final bit and it will fall right off.
Put the flywheel in the freezer, and the new ring gear in the oven for a bit and it will simply drop right on. Easy.
__________________
Scott Card
CQ Headset by Card Machine Works
CMW E-Lift
RV-9A N4822C flying 2200+hrs. / Cedar Park, TX
RV8 Building - fuselage / showplanes canopy (Done!)
VAF Advertiser
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-24-2021, 08:51 AM
jeffkersey's Avatar
jeffkersey jeffkersey is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Cottontown, TN
Posts: 312
Default Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by scard View Post
I've done it. Small abrasive cutting disk to very carefully cut the existing gear almost all the way through. A "tap" with a cold chisel to break it the final bit and it will fall right off.
Put the flywheel in the freezer, and the new ring gear in the oven for a bit and it will simply drop right on. Easy.

Thanks Scott!
__________________
Jeff Kersey
RV7A Purchased Flying
Dues paid
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-24-2021, 08:55 AM
abwaldal@gmail.com abwaldal@gmail.com is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Battle Ground WA
Posts: 299
Default

Scott beat me to the answer.
Follow instructions and you will laugh as to how easy it is.
I used the freezer torch method. No oven in my hangar.
You will have an experimental RV grin all over again.
I have done many and as of late I replace mine on my 0-360 two months ago because it was looking worn. Hate stuff failing..
Oh by the way. DO NOT put it on backwards. It won't work very good.
Go for it.
Have fun Art
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-24-2021, 09:04 AM
RV6_flyer's Avatar
RV6_flyer RV6_flyer is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: NC25
Posts: 3,745
Default

Everyone is giving you good info.

Kitplanes Magazine published an article on how to do it a few years back.
__________________
Gary A. Sobek
NC25 RV-6
Flying
3,400+ hours
Where is N157GS
Building RV-8 S/N: 80012

To most people, the sky is the limit.
To those who love aviation, the sky is home.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-24-2021, 10:08 PM
jeffkersey's Avatar
jeffkersey jeffkersey is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Cottontown, TN
Posts: 312
Default I love this forum...

Thanks everyone. I hope the part gets here soon...
__________________
Jeff Kersey
RV7A Purchased Flying
Dues paid
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-25-2021, 05:53 AM
BlndRvtr BlndRvtr is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: NE Where
Posts: 398
Default

Yes, alternator belt replacement would be a good idea, no easier time.

Willing to share what kind of starter came apart?

George
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-25-2021, 06:14 AM
jeffkersey's Avatar
jeffkersey jeffkersey is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Cottontown, TN
Posts: 312
Default prestolite

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlndRvtr View Post
Yes, alternator belt replacement would be a good idea, no easier time.

Willing to share what kind of starter came apart?

George
The starter is a Prestolite MZ-4222. I have had some issues with these. This is the only time the gear came apart. I keep a fresh one on the shelf. I had thought about trying a Sky-tec because a few friends have had good service with those but I have a FP Catto prop and need the weight up front.
__________________
Jeff Kersey
RV7A Purchased Flying
Dues paid
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-26-2021, 06:24 AM
Ezburton Ezburton is offline
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: MD
Posts: 105
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkersey View Post
Did a search on the forum and could not find an answer to my question so here it is...

A couple months ago I had a starter gear come apart and damage my ring gear. One tooth totally gone and a few others buggered up. I used a grinder and file to straighten and clean it up a little. It had been starting fine. Recently, I heard a change in the sound and I could tell it was slipping and making a bit of a grinding sound. Pulled the cowl and I have lost another tooth on the ring gear. Don't want to get stuck somewhere, would not even attempt a hand prop with my high compression Io-360 with a 3 blade prop. Too dangerous in my opinion.

I have a new ring gear on its way. Anyone have any experience swapping out a ring gear? I found youtube video of an auto mechanic using a torch to heat it up and knock it off. Then heating up the new one on dropping it on the support with no problem. Is this the same process for the lycoming? Does anyone know what metal the support wheel that has the belt pulley is made of?
Should I put it in the freezer then heat up the ring gear? Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

I do plan to go ahead and swap out the alternator belt while I have the prop off.
I actually did this last weekend for my IO-360. The gear cuts easily with a hack saw. A few whacks with the cold chisel and it pops right off. Lycoming Service Instruction 1141A tells you how to replace the gear. In the oven at 450F for 30 minutes. I also chilled the other part in the freezer at the same time. It dropped right on and shrinks very rapidly. Make sure you have the chamfer in the correct direction! The spec also tells you what the gap can be (memory says it was .0015").
__________________
Don
Velocity SEFG
Paid 2020 Membership
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-26-2021, 07:25 AM
Taltruda Taltruda is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 872
Default

I used to do this on automotive applications. We would hold the ring gear with a pair of vice grips, pass a torch a couple of revolutions around the ring gear, and drop it right on, maybe give it a little turn to verify that it’s on and flat. It’ll shrink and stick in just a few seconds.
__________________
Tom
Las Vegas
RV-4 flying…
RV-8 empenage finished 10-2020

Wings Started.. 11-2020
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:40 PM.


The VAFForums come to you courtesy Delta Romeo, LLC. By viewing and participating in them you agree to build your plane using standardized methods and practices and to fly it safely and in accordance with the laws governing the country you are located in.