-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 08-14-2021, 10:41 PM

Default IO-540 Engine sag suspected - steps?

Hello,

Suspecting engine sag on a new RV-10 purchase with an IO-540. Dealing with this is new to me and I am curious if I should try to troubleshoot first with re-torquing or just replace them? They've been on since before 2007.

If I have to replace them - looking for suggestions on what to replace them with. Can I do this without disconnecting everything from the motor?

Pics attached - thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2262.jpeg
Views:	157
Size:	260.8 KB
ID:	14687  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2261.jpeg
Views:	179
Size:	240.0 KB
ID:	14688  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2260.jpeg
Views:	171
Size:	218.0 KB
ID:	14689  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2258.jpeg
Views:	160
Size:	242.1 KB
ID:	14690  
Old 08-15-2021, 08:03 AM

Pretty sure the vip units for the 540 are symmetrical, so could consider swapping them each front to back. Don’t know about lord or barry.
Old 08-15-2021, 08:36 AM

The isolators on the 540 are pretty easy to do, and assuming you can get to the hardware, should not need to disconnect anything. Do the top or bottom in pairs using a hoist or jack to support the front of the engine. Simply let the engine sag a bit to create enough gap to remove the pucks (top) or raise the prop end to open the gap on the bottom.

If you dont want to replace the pucks just yet, you can also spin them 180 and might get a bit more life, but replacement is inevitable.
WARNING! Incorrect design and/or fabrication of aircraft and/or components may result in injury or death. Information presented in this post is based on my own experience - Reader has sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for use.

Michael Robinson
1984 L39C
Old 08-15-2021, 08:51 AM

Default Look see

I would have a tech counselor look thru the engine compartment; that one hose clamp looks like it might not be on properly, but hard to tell from the picture.

WARNING! Information presented in this post is my opinion. All users of info have sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for their use.

Dues paid 2021, worth every penny

RV9A- Status:
95% done, 15% left to go
Electrical/Panel 95% done
Firewall Forward 5% in work
Fiberglass 0%, thought i was building in metal?
www.pilotjohnsrv9.blogspot.com
Old 08-15-2021, 08:58 AM

Default Shotgun em

Mine looked just like yours with the gap. Don't mess around just replace them all with Lord. I found a better price than Spruce online and spruce matched it. You will get even a lower price from Vans but they won't be Lord brand.

-Marc
Old 08-15-2021, 09:01 AM

Default Lord mounts

For my stock RV-10, I have Lord J-3804-20 mounts. For reference, Lord kit number J-3804-20 includes two isolators, part J3049. Inspection process, thickness and eccentricity limits for J3049 are in this document:

https://files.lord.com/pdf/44/PB6304...alAviation.pdf

FYI, A few years ago I considered buying VIP mounts for replacement. I called VIP and asked for their equivalent document if I chose to use their product. Nope. They bought the line from somebody else, they said, and have no documentation on thickness or sag limits. So I buy Lord.

Note that Lord's annual process involves the visual inspection of the mounting for separation, deterioration, excessive sag, cracks, etc. *Only* if that inspection fails do they have you remove the mount and measure thickness/eccentricity.

Lord mounts can be changed without disconnecting the engine. I find it's a 2 man job, using an engine hoist and load leveler (Harbor Freight). On my plane, I have to support the tail while lifting and rocking the engine. I don't like doing it. I won't change a mount unless I have to.
RV-6A N47TD - 1100 hrs (sold)
Old 08-15-2021, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Lewis View Post
SNIP

Lord mounts can be changed without disconnecting the engine. I find it's a 2 man job, using an engine hoist and load leveler (Harbor Freight). On my plane, I have to support the tail while lifting and rocking the engine. I don't like doing it. I won't change a mount unless I have to.
+1 on how to change out the mounts.

If however the mounts themselves look good, you could try putting a big AN970 washer between the engine and the forward side of the engine mount on the bottom two mounts. You may or may not need a longer bolt, and you need to verify that you will have adequate spacing between the cowl and spinner.

Carl
Old 08-15-2021, 11:26 AM

You could swap the inboard ones to outboard (outboards to inboards). Also consider lock nuts vs castle nuts.
Old 08-26-2021, 09:41 PM

Default Which one?

Which hose clamp are you referring to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotjohnS View Post
I would have a tech counselor look thru the engine compartment; that one hose clamp looks like it might not be on properly, but hard to tell from the picture.
Old 08-26-2021, 09:45 PM

Do you remember where you got them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plummit View Post
Mine looked just like yours with the gap. Don't mess around just replace them all with Lord. I found a better price than Spruce online and spruce matched it. You will get even a lower price from Vans but they won't be Lord brand.

-Marc