VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

-POSTING RULES
-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.


Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-10
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-13-2021, 03:25 PM
jwilliams2020 jwilliams2020 is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Riverside
Posts: 5
Default RV-10 3D Prints to support your build

Long-time lurker, first time poster. Firstly, thanks to this amazing community for the near-infinite amount of knowledge (I won't dwell on that point too long, you all already know you're awesome).

I'm a new-builder, received my empennage in late May and have been slowly building ever since. Along the way, I've designed a few different things to help with my build: Cleco stands and trays, storage bins, rivet set holders, trailing edge wedge jigs, etc. The picture below is of (almost) all of the things that I've designed and printed for my build so far, and I thought who better to share this with than the Van's builder community! If you're interested, I have a detailed blog post on all of the parts here: https://www.jeraero.com/2021/08/13/3...itial-backlog/. And if you just want to go directly to the STLs, here's where they're hosted: https://thangs.com/jwilliams2020/Jer...ly-Tools-23840

Most of the prints:




p.s. Advance apologies if you thought this was the ever-fabled complete set of 3D plans for the RV-10, alas, I haven't discovered those yet - if someone has, please let met know (I've been flirting with the idea of measuring and recreating each part in CAD as I build, but I fear that's going to add another year or two to the build)
__________________
__________________
Jeremy Williams
Blog: https://www.jeraero.com/
Build Log: https://eaabuilderslog.org?s=JerAmyRV-10
Dues Reminder: 11/2021
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-13-2021, 04:04 PM
Mike S's Avatar
Mike S Mike S is offline
Senior Curmudgeon
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Dayton Airpark, NV A34
Posts: 16,054
Default Welcome to VAF

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwilliams2020 View Post
Long-time lurker, first time poster.
Jeremy, welcome aboard the good ship VAF
__________________
Mike Starkey
VAF 909

Rv-10, N210LM.

Flying as of 12/4/2010

Phase 1 done, 2/4/2011

Sold after 240+ wonderful hours of flight.

"Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding or doing anything about it."
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-13-2021, 04:31 PM
Phil Sprang Phil Sprang is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Newnan, GA
Posts: 7
Default

That is awesome!!! As a just starting builder, waiting on kits and organizing my shop, this will likely push me over the edge to buy a 3D printer.

Thanks for posting this!
__________________
Cheers,

Phil

KCCO
Current C-182
RV-14 build (ordered 05/21)
N14EV (Reserved)
2021 Donation Made
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-13-2021, 04:50 PM
jwilliams2020 jwilliams2020 is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Riverside
Posts: 5
Default Do it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Sprang View Post
That is awesome!!! As a just starting builder, waiting on kits and organizing my shop, this will likely push me over the edge to buy a 3D printer.
Thatís awesome Phil, Iíd say go for it (buying a 3d printer), theyíve come a long way over the past few years and even the budget-friendly Enders are pretty solid out of the box, especially when printing PLA. I suspect youíll find many uses for it (I know I have, even just around organization), itís amazing the difference a custom-sized storage container will make.
__________________
__________________
Jeremy Williams
Blog: https://www.jeraero.com/
Build Log: https://eaabuilderslog.org?s=JerAmyRV-10
Dues Reminder: 11/2021
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-14-2021, 08:21 AM
Iceman_krebs Iceman_krebs is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: Windsor, CO
Posts: 14
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwilliams2020 View Post
Long-time lurker, first time poster. Firstly, thanks to this amazing community for the near-infinite amount of knowledge (I won't dwell on that point too long, you all already know you're awesome).

I'm a new-builder, received my empennage in late May and have been slowly building ever since. Along the way, I've designed a few different things to help with my build: Cleco stands and trays, storage bins, rivet set holders, trailing edge wedge jigs, etc. The picture below is of (almost) all of the things that I've designed and printed for my build so far, and I thought who better to share this with than the Van's builder community! If you're interested, I have a detailed blog post on all of the parts here: https://www.jeraero.com/2021/08/13/3...itial-backlog/. And if you just want to go directly to the STLs, here's where they're hosted: https://thangs.com/jwilliams2020/Jer...ly-Tools-23840

Most of the prints:




p.s. Advance apologies if you thought this was the ever-fabled complete set of 3D plans for the RV-10, alas, I haven't discovered those yet - if someone has, please let met know (I've been flirting with the idea of measuring and recreating each part in CAD as I build, but I fear that's going to add another year or two to the build)
I really like what youíve done here. PM also sent.
__________________
Andrew Krebs
Windsor, Colorado
RV-10 Emp/Tail kit started April 2021
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-16-2021, 11:26 AM
Presmini Presmini is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Palo Alto, Ca
Posts: 34
Default

Very cool. Thanks for sharing! I will definitely be printing some of these out. Thanks for the blog as well. Seems to be high quality with some great information.

Happy Building!
Paolo
__________________
______________
RV-8 In Progress since 3/21
Empennage: Complete 3/21
Wing: Started 9/21
http://N679PG.blog
2021 Donation made 5/21
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-17-2021, 07:29 AM
JacobG JacobG is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 3
Default

Awesome job. I bought a semi-build tail and wing from another builder and start organizing my shop. I started out drawing out some cut outs to laser cut organizing trays for bits and squeezer sets. I will use some of your designs to 3d print. Thanks for sharing.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-18-2021, 12:47 AM
sporran's Avatar
sporran sporran is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location:
Posts: 39
Default

While you guys are at it, I'd highly recommend printing Jim Delveau's drill guides for various torque tubes. Much more effective than cutting out paper and trying to centre punch the cross hairs. Available to download on thingiverse.

https://www.thingiverse.com/rvjimd/designs
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4037.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	395.7 KB
ID:	14768  
__________________
Richard Horan
RV-7 (Sold)
Kitfox IV (Flying)
RV-10 (Still building)
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-18-2021, 08:03 AM
Lionclaw's Avatar
Lionclaw Lionclaw is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Melbourne, FL (X21)
Posts: 670
Default

Jeremy -- that's awesome! Thanks for sharing the files. Printed on a Voron too!

My Voron builds have been getting in the way of airplane building...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	vorons.PNG
Views:	82
Size:	2.75 MB
ID:	14777  
__________________
Andy Compton, PhD EE
RV-10 #41414, N643AC (building)
RV-7A #72158, N808PA (flying)
RV-9A #91638 (built,flying,sold,missed)
My blood and sweat, the Wifey's tears
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-18-2021, 03:31 PM
jwilliams2020 jwilliams2020 is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Riverside
Posts: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sporran View Post
While you guys are at it, I'd highly recommend printing Jim Delveau's drill guides for various torque tubes. Much more effective than cutting out paper and trying to centre punch the cross hairs.
Awesome, thanks for the tip, I'll remember that when I get to the torque tubes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionclaw View Post
Printed on a Voron too!

My Voron builds have been getting in the way of airplane building...
Looks like it, hopefully you've got one of those frames going up for the recently released Trident! Personally, I'm using all my will-power to NOT build a v0.1 as my 'backup' printer and instead direct all energy towards building the 10.
__________________
__________________
Jeremy Williams
Blog: https://www.jeraero.com/
Build Log: https://eaabuilderslog.org?s=JerAmyRV-10
Dues Reminder: 11/2021
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:07 PM.


The VAFForums come to you courtesy Delta Romeo, LLC. By viewing and participating in them you agree to build your plane using standardized methods and practices and to fly it safely and in accordance with the laws governing the country you are located in.