Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV Ongoing Maintenance Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2021, 04:33 PM

Default Is it possible for a magneto to fire earlier than it is set for?

I've been chasing a high CHT (on all cylinders) issue for a while now. I've replaced the baffling, replaced intake tube gaskets, verified engine to mag timing, verified sufficient fuel flow, and everything else I can think of.

During climb all 4 CHT's will rise at roughly 1 degree/second and unless I aggressively get the airspeed up they will easily pass 400F. They never used to go above 370 in a climb.

The other day I thought to try isolating the mags during a climb. At about 1000' agl with both mags operating the CHT's were climbing rapidly. Switching to just the right mag didn't change anything. Switching to just the left mag not only immediately stopped the CHT's from climbing, but they then started going down fairly quickly. I switched back and forth several times and each time the right mag would make the temps climb and the left mag would bring them down.

It sure seems to me that the right mag has figured out a way to advance itself, but is it possible for a mag to fire earlier than the 25 degrees it is set for? These mags are absolutely set at 25 degrees, run up and mag drops are normal, starting is normal and the engine runs great just like always.
Old 07-23-2021, 04:50 PM

What type of fuel are you burning?
What CR pistons?
What kind of mags?
What are EGTs doing during this?
Etc.

The move info, the better.

Despite your last paragraph, it certainly sounds as if one mag is timed to the impulse/start/retard point coupling. Let us know.

Last edited by Freemasm : 07-23-2021 at 07:36 PM.
Old 07-23-2021, 08:35 PM

100LL exclusively.
0320 with standard compression.
Slick mags, left has impulse coupling.
EGT's normal when operating both mags, shows expected rise on individual mags.
Other than CHT's engine is operating normally.

I've triple checked the timing, they are both 25 degrees. If one were operating at a massively retarded setting wouldn't that show up when switching to that mag? And wouldn't that cause CHT's to go down?
Old 07-23-2021, 10:26 PM

Default Airborne mag check

Suggest an airborne mag check. See https://resources.savvyaviation.com/...t-diagnostics/
Then upload your data to Savvy (which is free). Then screenshot the plot and provide it to us here.

If one mag is running more advance than the other I'd expect a substantial differential in RPM.

What's your RPM drops on a ground mag check?

Last edited by blaplante : 07-23-2021 at 10:28 PM.
Old 07-24-2021, 07:45 AM

certainly sounds like right mag is too far advanced. Suggest re-timing it. If it continues to be advanced, put an auto timing light on the rt #1 plug and confirm.' About the only way that a mag can readjust it's timing is for the hold down nuts to be too loose or improper timing procedures, such as not letting the impulse snap first or various other errors.

Larry

Last edited by lr172 : 07-24-2021 at 07:47 AM.
Old 07-24-2021, 08:10 AM

@Larry. I’m not a mag guy. I can’t think of another scenario. I would assume the OP is at strong risk of a kick-back and starter damage if I’m picturing this correctly

Last edited by Freemasm : 07-24-2021 at 08:24 AM.
Old 07-24-2021, 08:26 AM

How many hours on the mags?
Old 07-24-2021, 08:41 AM

[QUOTE...I would assume the OP is at strong risk of a kick-back and starter damage ...[/quote]

+1 Be very careful with this. The in flight mag check is a good idea.

I don't think I saw here when the last mag inspections were done. If I was anywhere close to the time, I'd pull these off and do the 500 hr inspection.

Dan
KC2ZEL
Old 07-24-2021, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freemasm View Post
@Larry. I’m not a mag guy. I can’t think of another scenario. I would assume the OP is at strong risk of a kick-back and starter damage if I’m picturing this correctly
As the cam and points wear, the timing becomes more advanced. However, this takes a good amount of time, like 100's of hours in most cases, though slick has had QC problems with cams wearing out VERY early. OP implied this was new issue and still occurred after re-timing the mag. Re-timing the mag will adjust the ignition timing, regardless of point wear, but doesn't adjust for e gap timing, which only affects spark energy and not ignition timing. If I misunderstood that and the mag hasn't been touched in 100's of hours, wear could be the cause and in that case the e gap will need attention, as misfires will be in the OP's near future.

Kick back wouldn't apply if the OP starts on only the left mag, like many/most do.

Larry

Last edited by lr172 : 07-24-2021 at 09:14 AM.
Old 07-24-2021, 10:36 AM

Default another step

One other step I would make is to verify the orientation of the P-leads.
Does the mag switch(es) actually turn off the Left mag, when the switch shows running on Right mag only? Or are they reversed? P-leads get reversed too often. It could be significant, if the Left mag is actually the problem, as a bad impulse coupling could cause timing drift.
And, has been mentioned already, if the mags have more than 500 hours, or there are a couple of outstanding SBs, then it is time to get them into the shop. One SB deals with bad rotors, which could be a factor....

Last edited by OKAV8r : 07-24-2021 at 10:39 AM.