Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Avionics / Interiors / Fiberglass > Glass Cockpit
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-21-2021, 03:32 PM

Default Oshkosh Airventure 2021 - Garmin Smart Glide For G3X Touch

Good Afternoon!

Things are heating up as Oshkosh Airventure 2021 is right around the corner. Several of the Garmin TeamX members will be representing at the show, and we look forward to getting the chance to meet many of our fantastic customers in person throughout the week.

The team has been hard at work throughout the year on many new features for our equipment. One which we are excited to announce is the latest addition to the Autonomi family of autonomous flight technology: Smart Glide for G3X Touch series flight displays.

In the event of the loss of engine power in a single-engine aircraft, a pilot faces the urgent, workload-intensive job of maneuvering the aircraft from its current position to a suitable landing location. Building upon, and in-part borrowing from, the Collier Award winning Garmin Autoland system introduced in 2019, Smart Glide is designed to assist the pilot by enhancing situational awareness and providing helpful automation during an emergency inoperative engine event.

Aviate, Navigate, Communicate

The G3X Touch is always monitoring nearby airports throughout a given flight. When Smart Glide is activated, it automatically activates a Direct To route to the Best Airport estimated to be within glide range based on several factors including runway length and condition; proximity; terrain; and available weather from sources such as FIS-B, or SiriusXM weather, in addition to current measured winds calculated by the primary flight display (PFD).

Smart Glide is engaged by pressing and holding the Direct To button, using the dedicated Emergency Databar menu, or by using a dedicated panel mounted switch.

If the G3X Touch system includes GSA 28 Autopilot Servos, with sufficient altitude Smart Glide activation also simultaneously engages the autopilot to pitch for best glide airspeed and initiates GPS navigation to the recommended airport, where the pilot will then take control of the aircraft and land. If excess altitude remains at the time the aircraft reaches the field, the autopilot will initiate a series of standard rate turns to descend until the pilot disconnects the autopilot. The pilot can deactivate Smart Glide at any time with the dedicated panel switch or using the Emergency page. In addition, the autopilot can be disconnected using the same methods during normal operation, such as the AP disconnect switch installed on the controls.

To save you time, Smart Glide will populate the destination airport’s CTAF or tower frequency into the primary COM standby. Also available are shortcuts to tune the transponder to squawk the 7700 emergency code and tune the standby COM frequency to 121.5 as shown above.

In the event the system estimates there is not an airport within glide range, the autopilot will automatically pitch for best glide speed, and roll wings level, quickly setting you up for a glide and allowing you to choose a suitable landing location.

We will be rolling out software to enable Smart Glide and other new features after the show and will provide Pilot's Guide and Installation Manual updates alongside it to help familiarize yourself with the system and provide further details.

Safe travels,

Justin
Please email us for support instead of using Private Messaging due to the limitations of the latter.
Old 07-21-2021, 03:50 PM

That is a cool new feature and I can't wait to play with it. Hopefully I never have to use it for real but it could be a life saver.

RV-6A Tip-Up Bought Flying
Old 07-21-2021, 05:13 PM

A great G3X feature from Garmin.

Your engineers ROCK, Pitch and Roll.
Leather seats by Flightline Interiors.
Still to do: Firewall forward, cowling fit and paint, G3X avionics.
FLY

Last edited by KiloFoxtrot : 07-21-2021 at 10:30 PM.
Old 07-21-2021, 06:09 PM

Outstanding I figured this'd be a G3X feature when I saw the videos popping up in the Gamin Aviation feed for certified aircraft.

Notwithstanding the optional panel button to activate/deactivate it: Is it an extra cost option, or is it going to be rolled in to the normal G3X Touch software upgrade cycle?

- mark
Old 07-22-2021, 06:22 AM

Will these features eventually show up in other garmin navigator products like the GNX 375?
Old 07-22-2021, 08:35 AM

Default Autoland

It will be interesting to see if Smart Glide can function as an “almost” autoland during a good airplane but incapacitated pilot situation. Maybe: 1. Activate Smart Glide, 2. Reduce power slightly to start a descent. 3. Flare the landing. 4. Throttle idle or mixture cutoff. 5. Apply brakes. Possibly put simple directions in the Emergency Checklist that’s on the Smart Glide screen.

Might be much easier to teach my non-flying wife instead of the pinch hitter curriculum we’ve tried.
RV-12iS - All kits ordered!
VAF on Annual Autopay
Old 07-22-2021, 09:17 AM

Thumbs up

Pretty sweet! Now if you can just tie into the Rotax FADEC we could have full Autoland, minus braking.

Or would we also need a throttle servo? Still doable, no?
RV-12iS #121228
  • My opinions are JUST my opinions, not facts
  • Regardless of phrasing or colorfulness, my opinion does not imply that any opposing opinions are wrong or ANY less valid than my own
  • Respect people by giving your own opinion without attacking or belittling others
  • Passive-aggressive is not better than overt-aggressive
  • When I fail to meet these standards, please call me out, gently
Old 07-22-2021, 10:05 AM

Default Is glide distance actively being adjusted real-time?

Being involved in an engine out earlier this year and realizing the glide distance is greatly reduced due to increased drag by the prop. Simulated engine out isn’t the same and when has anyone actually shut down their engine to determine actual glide distance. Can I assume the G3X s/w will be calculating the glide distance ring as the best glide speed is maintained and descent rate is determined?

I know with Foreflt you have to input the parameters to determine the glide distance of your plane, which I’m not sure is anyone really knows for sure.

Last edited by FireMedic_2009 : 07-22-2021 at 10:08 AM.
Old 07-22-2021, 10:34 AM

Wow,

what an incredibly useful feature! Really excited to get a chance to install this on my 9A and check it out.

The amount of new features that Garmin has added (all free) to my G3X Touch in the five+ years I've been flying it are amazing.

-Dan
Old 07-22-2021, 01:58 PM

Default Smart Glide Software Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by newt View Post
Outstanding I figured this'd be a G3X feature when I saw the videos popping up in the Gamin Aviation feed for certified aircraft.

Notwithstanding the optional panel button to activate/deactivate it: Is it an extra cost option, or is it going to be rolled in to the normal G3X Touch software upgrade cycle?

- mark
Hi Mark,

This will be part of the next software update for the G3X Touch. There is no additional cost associated with this feature.

The panel mounted switch shown in the marketing material is a neat addition to an installation, this switch is grounding a discrete input on the GEA 24, GAD 27, or GSU 73, which will be assigned and programmed by the installer for this purpose. You are able to use a switch of your choosing to accomplish this.

Thanks,

Justin
Please email us for support instead of using Private Messaging due to the limitations of the latter.