Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV Ongoing Maintenance Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-18-2021, 12:26 PM

Default My "Huffer" - Getting Rid of Excess Heat

Here is a picture of my "Huffer" - a blower system designed to evacuate hot stagnating air left in the plenum after shutdown.

I live in a very dry and hot climate, and it is not unusual to have hanger temps well above the century mark in the summer time. I wanted to be able to get rid of any stagnating air above the cylinders after shutdown, to facilitate overall increased cooling of the engine bay during that period.

When plugged in (right after shutdown), it's amazing how much hot air comes out of the exit area of the cowling. Even though I can only put in ambient temperature air, even when that air is 100* or more, it still acts as a heat sink for the stagnated air in the plenum which can reach over 200* after shutdown.

I have a mechanical timer on the power side, so it becomes a "set it and forget it" kind of system. Been using it (in some form) for 30 years + now, my cowling(s) still look to be in pretty good shape from a paint quality standpoint.

Just another point on the compass.

YMMV - And probably will!

HFS

Sorry about the orientation of the pic - maybe someone can help me with that also?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ďHufferĒ.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	236.6 KB
ID:	13787  
Old 07-18-2021, 01:07 PM

Rotated the image. I just open the oil door, but where I live it's not too hot.

Name:	“Huffer”.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	245.7 KB
ID:	13788
Old 07-18-2021, 01:09 PM

Somehow innovation take over. I really like your though process. Now take it to the next level. Build one that is light weight and built in. Able to take it wherever you go and you will have a product that every Fuel injection airplane wants. I think you can do it.

RV-7A N1243A Sold
Old 07-18-2021, 02:26 PM

Default Just me

I think i would try blowing air in one side of inlet, and let it come out the other inlet. Unless one has a baffle on top the engine along the split line, this should work well without having to blow air down thru the exit

WARNING! Information presented in this post is my opinion. All users of info have sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for their use.

Dues paid 2021, worth every penny

RV9A- Status:
95% done, 15% left to go
Electrical/Panel 95% done
Firewall Forward 5% in work
Fiberglass 0%, thought i was building in metal?
www.pilotjohnsrv9.blogspot.com
Old 07-18-2021, 03:01 PM

Default Blowing Air Out The Exit

Instead of just evacuating the air under the plenum - I'm trying to "sweep" all heated/stagnated air in the cowling/plenum area after shut down. I want to have the air exit via the lower cowling opening, to net as much cooling as possible.

Also opening the oil door, on my airplane does nothing, because the plenum traps all radiated heat from the top of the engine - and the oil door is above the plenum, ergo - no help.

HFS
Old 07-18-2021, 03:27 PM

If your fan unit had a heat setting, it could work for pre heat too. You could have a separate heating unit you switch in the winter. Great design.
Flying N376E
Old 07-18-2021, 04:25 PM

Thumbs up

You could use a pair of these
https://www.amazon.com/RULE-LINE-BILGE-BLOWER-12V/dp/B00E5N0S00

and just run them off the aircraft battery.

That's what is great about these forums; once someone posts an idea, the options are limitless.
Old 07-18-2021, 05:11 PM

A solar powered marine ventilator along with a 90 degree elbow fab'd to fit the front cowl inlet would speed up the cool down. They move 700 to 900 cu. ft./ hour of air so a typical engine compartment would have more than 1 air change every minute.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	71D+EKfX2pL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	13803  
W9LYX

Antennas for Experimental Aircraft
www.deltapopaviation.com
Old 07-19-2021, 07:04 AM

Default Hot air after shutdown

That is a great system you figured out David. I don’t have a plenum on my -8 but after tucking the airplane in the hangar after flying I put a small fan under the lower cowl exhaust opening and leave the oil door open (learned that from John Murphy). It’s amazing how much hot air comes out the front intakes and the oil door. When I’m on the ramp I just leave the oil door open after shutdown. I don’t have a spring on my oil door so I just use a length of stiff hose slit down the middle and slide it around the edge of the door and the edge of the opening in the upper cowl.

Oh- and yes I “know a guy” that forgot to close his oil door before start and had to shutdown to get out & close the oil door much to the delight and laughter of others on the ramp.
Old 07-19-2021, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olyolson View Post
I donít have a plenum on my -8 but after tucking the airplane in the hangar after flying I put a small fan under the lower cowl exhaust opening and leave the oil door open (learned that from John Murphy). Itís amazing how much hot air comes out the front intakes and the oil door. When Iím on the ramp I just leave the oil door open after shutdown.
This is what I do. I put it on a step stool, and I have it on a timer to run for an hour. Iíve attached a pic of the blower I use. It really does move a lot of air.

Name:  E56C3598-F7E0-4F53-AB9D-1554B453C7CD.jpeg
Views: 367
Size:  18.7 KB