What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What did you do with your RV this weekend? (7/10/21 - 7/11/21)

Thanks for asking.
Got the engine mount shimmed. Trying real hard to get engine in before Osh 2021. The shims add 0.132 degrees of right thrust.

Attachments

• 9EF172CA-DC86-4B1D-BC7B-8069CC09B054.jpg
    9EF172CA-DC86-4B1D-BC7B-8069CC09B054.jpg
    419.4 KB · Views: 222
Just got back from doing some right pattern work, coordination practice, and engine out procedures. Getting ready for Osh.

A bunch of firsts for me on Friday. Filed IFR for the first time and flew 2 non-simulated approaches - an ILS and a GNSS LPV. Was the first time I'd tried my N16 NAV radio with a GS/LOC. Performed great. Was using foggles, so it counts as simulated IMC.

IFR training cranking up to high gear, I need about 18.5 more hours of simulated IMC to qualify for my rating. Need a flight test as well. The goal is to finish it in the next 4 weeks so I can use the ticket on a cross continental trip coming up in mid August.

I finished the basecoats on my canopy skirt:
AM-JKLVbwLMz2NkSZ7hst33cKdpJptGMbxUF4EyKwtt0FW2F-1miLtwZymPCgwVXS6WwUD11AecuA3Cr2C_gw1vDhfuX3uJdcbGk1jvsA_V4aPXvqIxGmQzez_XDQX1oKsI3dSCxmR3qI9UYDxJYUASo-RQG=w900-h600

Since I have to wait for lower humidity to apply the clearcoat (in about a week!), I decided to put the spiral on my spinner with an industrial grade sharpie. I made a silly little video about it and put it on my YouTube channel; see link in my signature.
AM-JKLVtgipqVqQpbWyGwXTqXOFruniuLBqb4pFacdKVZRK4TsdWB-1C-coK3s9nWA8fGlv1GgP82d5v30zECK0a1xh4PgKfmMqtYTRrwTSsae46nHZQdpNcAj5khkgk_hmkiW3YBizQ27S9hcMofcOsaP23=w648-h365

In other aviation-related news, I hung out with the CAF at PTK during their AirPower History Tour. The B-24 Diamond Lil, P-51 Gunfighter, T-6 and Stearman were in attendance. The B-29 couldn't come in with the longer runway closed, and wouldn't have attended anyway due to a maintenance issue. I was supposed to get an extended ride in the Stearman, but it was cancelled twice (Thursday - weather; Friday - maintenance) and I couldn't reschedule a third time. That's ok; I'll use the refund to pay for my canopy cover. Also made a video of selected startups, taxis, takeoffs and landings; not my greatest work but may be of interest; also on my YouTube channel.
AM-JKLVHaZd2JIc6uqOUMpNo2uI9mFgiTA9lhGgoGz_NlRrCQ2EzjEF2Ffj777A2VPeREUkevsfXCeW3GFMYdPo4tb4iDg_17quwC7sdqXP0HmJZ5r2pwt6g98rS00GtPwsfcmPueaMqsewicH8QWxb-QmQ3=w648-h365

MJF

Climbed out of the thick humidity in central Texas for a bit. I maintained 59 degrees F. Music on, power back and enjoyed the cool air.

Or maybe it was a, heavy and slow, refresher :). Call it what you want.

Canopy big cut

Finished the big cut on the canopy, many builders dread this job, but it was one of the easiest and fulfilling jobs so far.

Still have gin but ran out of tonic. A quick 1 hour hop over scorching desert to the closest supermarket yielded some. Valley Food of Saratoga WY is within a quick walk from the airport KSAA. You can see the market abeam next to Hacienda Motel :)

went_shopping_-_1.jpeg

went_shopping_-_1_(1).jpeg

Not that I like diet but it's the only quinine they have :D

went_shopping_-_1_(2).jpeg

On Saturday I parked the RV so I could use my C-172 to fly Y.E. I flew 3 flights for a total of 7 kids. I don't know why but I'm starting to like the Y.E. flights! Especially the part near the end where I ask the kids if they like Roller Coasters..... :D

-Marc
And yes, I did fly the RV Sunday!

Last edited:
Still have gin but ran out of tonic. A quick 1 hour hop over scorching desert to the closest supermarket yielded some. Valley Food of Saratoga WY is within a quick walk from the airport KSAA. You can see the market abeam next to Hacienda Motel :)

Not that I like diet but it's the only quinine they have :D

went_shopping_-_1_(2).jpeg

Does your gin and tonic recipe include Tomato's?

Back