- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 06-28-2021, 04:08 AM

Default My Wing Rotation Solution for Painting

There have been a lot of creative solutions shared here on how to rotate your wings during the painting process. I've borrowed some ideas from different sources and come up with my own "wing rotation jig system". It's eyeball-engineered so I won't quote specifications here. Instead I will present this slideshow in hopes it might inspire someone to make their own simple, low-cost solution.
I had considered assembling a proper rotisserie that was tied together at both ends and utilized an engine stand as a pivot point, but that seemed too complicated and expensive to do properly. I liked the simplicity of the square solution that I originally saw in the TV series "From The Ground Up". I wasn't about to weld up any metal fixtures like Joe Schumacher did, but I've seen others use the "square-on-spar" method and designed my own. I had some heavy plywood scraps available, so I used it to fabricate most of the components. I've also seen 4" PVC pipe used as a pivot point for the outboard end and that seemed like a simple and efficient way to do it. Knowing that the center of gravity is aft of the spar, the box was mounted so the center of rotation would line up with the rib holes just behind the spar, and it worked out well. You'll note that I chose to work around the installed aileron pushrod; it was torqued and sealed and I wanted to keep it that way.

I used 1/4" bolts and cut nylon hose sections to serve as shims that would protect the spar holes. I wanted the extra surface area of fender washers, but they needed to be trimmed to avoid overlap.

The forward clamping board was glued and screwed onto the pivot square; the aft clamping board was only screwed to the pivot square using long screws and bolted to the spar and forward clamping board. This made it easy to remove for disassembly. I considered adding some angle as additional reinforcement but it doesn't seem to be necessary.

Using a sawhorse I had on hand, I attached cleats that would hold the square firmly in place.

I wrapped and padded the aileron pushrod and used a small traffic cone as a guard.

I had set up both ends on a matching set of sawhorses. I had adapted the outboard end so that I had swinging room, but on the spar end I realized that the sawhorse legs would interfere with wing rotation. Since I had the wing height set and level and wanted to keep it that way, I decided to fabricate new support ends around the existing sawhorse beam, building around the legs before removing them. Fiddly... but it worked.

After testing, I decided handles would be a good idea. I initially placed them incorrectly and had to make adjustments so that they wouldn't interfere with the positioning cleats. Care had to be taken when screwing the handles to the squares; some screws were shortened so as not to contact the ends of the spars.
RV-8 #83507 - registered; final assembly continues; still putting out my own brush fires.
Builder websites:
http://goatflieg.blogspot.com/
http://www.mykitlog.com/goatflieg/
YouTube Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/user/goatflieg
Dues paid for 2021... extra payment included for psychological therapeutic services rendered.

Have you ever gotten the feeling you were smarter than you could ever prove?
Old 06-28-2021, 04:09 AM

Default part two:

The next three photos give a view of the outboard end. The 4" PVC pipe was cut into two 4' lengths. The pipe is inserted into the rib holes (about 3'); PVC tape was wrapped around the pipe in two places, creating a notch that would hold the rib web in place. A 4" end cap keeps the pipe from sliding off the sawhorse-mounted saddle.

More photos of the spar square end.

As you can see, it all works pretty well together. Built with material on hand; the only cost was the hardware and the PVC pipe. I found it to be a viable low-cost solution. Your results may vary... I know mine did.
RV-8 #83507 - registered; final assembly continues; still putting out my own brush fires.
Builder websites:
http://goatflieg.blogspot.com/
http://www.mykitlog.com/goatflieg/
YouTube Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/user/goatflieg
Dues paid for 2021... extra payment included for psychological therapeutic services rendered.

Have you ever gotten the feeling you were smarter than you could ever prove?

Last edited by goatflieg : 06-28-2021 at 05:22 AM.
Old 06-28-2021, 09:17 AM

Nice solution. I am going to keep that one in my back pocket for when I get to the wings.

RV-6A Tip-Up Bought Flying
Old 06-28-2021, 09:51 PM

Hey great idea. That looks like a really easy way to do it. I had thought about several methods, but none as simple and elegant.
RV-8 (Bought Flying)
Glasair Sportsman (Sold)
RV-8 Tail, QB Fuselage (Sold)
RV-4 (Bought Flying) (Sold)
RV-9 Tail
RV-12 120018 Flying (Sold)
RV-7 Tail, Wings, Started Fuse (Sold)
Old 06-29-2021, 09:29 AM

Default Tagged....

Excellent solution! I'll lose this thread a few months from now when I need it. Maybe replying will keep it in my history.

Dues paid July 2020
Old 06-29-2021, 09:47 AM

Default Wing stand

Very nice and elegant.

I'm too lazy. I used the PVC for rotation. Slipped a long 2x4 through and supported it with a saw horse either end.
Donated 01/01/2021, plus a little extra.
RV-7A #73391, N511RV reserved (2,000+ hours)
Empennage, wings, fuse, finishing kit, now FWF
Disclaimer
I cannot be, nor will I be, held responsible if you try to do the same things I do and it does not work and/or causes you loss, injury, or even death in the process.
Old 06-29-2021, 02:42 PM

Default very nicely done Goatfleg

Quote:
Originally Posted by goatflieg View Post
The next three photos give a view of the outboard end. The 4" PVC pipe was cut into two 4' lengths. The pipe is inserted into the rib holes (about 3'); PVC tape was wrapped around the pipe in two places, creating a notch that would hold the rib web in place. A 4" end cap keeps the pipe from sliding off the sawhorse-mounted saddle.

More photos of the spar square end.

As you can see, it all works pretty well together. Built with material on hand; the only cost was the hardware and the PVC pipe. I found it to be a viable low-cost solution. Your results may vary... I know mine did.
I especially liked your simplified engineering principals.
Way to go.
Daddyman
Old 06-29-2021, 07:35 PM

I kinda cheated. I bolted the wings to the fuselage.
Old 06-29-2021, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandera View Post
I kinda cheated. I bolted the wings to the fuselage.
What did you use to rotate the fuselage?
Building RV-6A #22320 O-320 FP. Wings and tail complete, working on fuselage
Flying my Aeroprakt A-22 STOL and the aero club's RV-9A while I build
Old 06-29-2021, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulvS View Post
What did you use to rotate the fuselage?
P-factor. ;-)
2019(?) RV-10