- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 05-13-2021, 05:47 AM

Default RV Excitement -vs- 172

Bit of a backstory. I met my now wife, shortly before I bought my now flying RV9a as a project. At the time she had this unspoken word of "No way am I flying in that thing when you get it done". Fast forward to a year and a half ago when I got airworthy ticket, her 1st flight was a short one on a cold day. 2nd flight was 3 hours. After that flight she decided to get her license.

Since then she has been either instructed in or a passenger in a lot of RV activies, cross country flights, formation, aerobatics (in RV8), etc and been very excited. Her first 28 hours of student time was in the RV9A, and we recently switched to the 172 in order for her to get more consistent training and it opens up instructor time. Her written in done.

So 5 Hours in on the 172 and she has come to realize she hates that airplane, and once her PPL test is done if she never fly's in one again it will be too soon. It got me to thinking, how many people get introduced to aviation via a similar trainer and never come back for the same reasons?

Had the 172 been her first experiences she would never have been this excited.
Old 05-13-2021, 06:04 AM

I loved the Cessnas for the bulk of my 50 years a pilot, but as the fleet got older, as flying certified aircraft got more expensive, and the ability to use innovative avionics got increasingly ridiculous, I moved into Experimental aviation and bought an RV-9A. I don't hate Cessnas now, but I'm certainly not going back.
AFS 5400/3500, G5, 430W, some other stuff
Old 05-13-2021, 07:11 AM

Default I know a couple !

I introduced 3 young low time pilots over the last few years (C-172/182 drivers) by giving them rides in my -4, one who just had a couple PPL lessons under his belt,.. all 3 now own an RV. 2 didn't have TW time and did their transitions in their new planes (-4 and -8), and the student pilot bought a -6A that was for sale on our home field, and has since solo'd and nearing check ride time. His instructor and long time friend of mine had 8K plus CFI time, but no RV time..he fixed that real quick and obtained the grin and now savors doing training in the RV's. RV's rock!, oh, and their spouses all have the grins too!
Old 05-13-2021, 08:11 AM

The logbook shows 750+ hours in my Cessna 175, basically a 172 with more power, 400+ hours in C172s, 300+ hours in the RV-9A and 500 hours in other RVs.

Smooth air, putting fuel in the tanks, affordability, avionics, speed, RVs rock.

Hot, bumpy air, hand flying IFR, loading baggage, roominess, sightseeing, maybe ease of entry, pushing the plane backwards, Cessnas win.

And a Cessna 172 can be remarkable agile if you go for it.

No, I'm not looking to get rid of the RV-9A. No reason to give up 30 knots.
Vaccines kept me out of the hospital but COVID still cost me a month of living, all told...
Old 05-13-2021, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ty1295 View Post

So 5 Hours in on the 172 and she has come to realize she hates that airplane, and once her PPL test is done if she never fly's in one again it will be too soon. It got me to thinking, how many people get introduced to aviation via a similar trainer and never come back for the same reasons?

Had the 172 been her first experiences she would never have been this excited.
Your wife is very perceptive and it's great she's taken a liking to flying the RV.

I trained on Piper Warriors and only had a couple hours in a 150 eons ago for spin training. The pathetic ROC on a hot day turned me off right away and it seemed unnatural hanging below the wing after sitting on the wing in low winged planes.

I got to fly a 172 for the first time about 8 years ago after 400ish hours in my -6A. I found it horrendous. The roll response and control feel were terrible. If I had to fly a 172 for the rest of my days, I'd just hang up the headphones. Not enjoyable in any way.

I have some right seat time in 340s and those are fun- but they have the wings in the right place...

Ross Farnham, Calgary, Alberta
Turbo Subaru EJ22, SDS EFI, Marcotte M-300, IVO, Shorai- RV6A C-GVZX flying from CYBW since 2003- 449.8 hrs. on the Hobbs,
RV10 95% built- Sold 2016
http://www.sdsefi.com/aircraft.html
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCiy...g2GvQfelECCGoQ

Old 05-13-2021, 09:13 AM

Youd have to pay me to fly any single engine Cessna. If the world went haywire tomorrow and 172s were the only airplane available, Id quit flying. A friend has a 172 and sometimes asks me to pick him up in it at nearby airports. After the last one, I told him he needs to put me on the insurance for his RV8 because my A.D.D. wont allow me to fly a 172 anymore!
Old 05-13-2021, 09:23 AM

Default Wow

Considering the age of the C-172 design and the fact that they are still flying some 65 YEARS later, maybe you ought to be giving some respect to them...

Is it an RV? Absolutely not...but it is a fairly reliable, fairly inexpensive, and unquestionably durable machine.

It is also a great platform for flight training. After many thousands of hours in 152's, 172's, 175's, and 182's, I STILL enjoy flying them; maybe not as much or as often as my -10 but it is STILL flying...and as far as flight training goes, they are hard to beat...

Respect your elders!

RV-10
N464RL

Dues+ Paid 2020,...Thanks DR+
Old 05-13-2021, 09:26 AM

I still rent a 172 to take people flying as my 6A doesn't have the needed seats sometimes. I still enjoy it as it reminds me where it all started, I've also been flying a grumman cheetah and the controls feel really sluggish and not as near as enjoyable to fly as my 6A. I think over the past couple of years I just got used to the "total performance" aspect for flying and certified GA (ones I can afford to fly) just disappoint me in every day joy flying. As long as I can own an airplane it will be a vansaircraft, when its no longer economical I will go back to renting a 172.
Old 05-13-2021, 09:50 AM

Every time I have a strong headwind I thank goodness for not flying a 172.
Well, and maybe every other time I fly.
Catto three blade prop
http://www.mykitlog.com/MarkW
Old 05-13-2021, 10:39 AM

Default Respect the mission

I am relatively low time in fixed wing (~200hrs) with more than half in my RV-6A. I was fortunate to get training in a variety of aircraft, with very little high wing Cessna time. Like many here, I really embrace the "sport" part of flying.

I recently visited my elderly parents, and rented a 172 to give them a joy ride around their area. I really appreciated the fact that they could get into the plane and enjoy the view from the air. This flight would not have been possible in my RV-6A.

I recently completed a 5 hour cross country with a friend in my RV. At the 90 min mark of each leg, my hips and legs started burning, and we were both shifting legs all around trying to stretch and make it until we landed. After each landing I crawled out of the plane and had to walk around a bit to get my body fully comfortable walking again. Although I really enjoyed zipping around the air to get a great view, it was pretty challenging for me, in this RV, to stay comfortable for any length of time. Of course now I am investigating moving my rudder pedals, installing the "Almost a 14" mod, etc to improve the comfort of this plane. We would have been much more comfortable in a Cessna 172, although the fun factor would certainly have been reduced.

I respect people's individual choices, and I respect anyone who has put in the time, effort and discipline to become a pilot. I also appreciate that each plane is a mix of tradeoffs.

For me, I will adapt my RV to my needs so I can keep that RV grin!