- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 05-05-2021, 11:00 PM

Default Substituting rivets

Hypothetically, if someone were skinning a horizontal stabilizer, got the front spar riveted, then switched to riveting the ribs but forgot to switch to the shorter rivets called out on the plan...thereby installing 426-3-4 where the plans say 426-3-3.5 ... could such a person reasonably say that it's close enough, and honestly they look pretty good anyway, and it'd probably do more harm than good trying to drill out 30ish rivets. Hypothetically. Asking for a friend.

I did learn today that you can nicely buck a rivet that's too long to squeeze without clinching. So there's that.
Old 05-05-2021, 11:12 PM

Default longer yes

In my view, rivets can be longer than specified in almost all cases, as long as they don't clinch over. A few times I had to go longer to make a nicer rivet. sometimes I think my plane is a work of art. Others probably think it is just a finger painting.

WARNING! Information presented in this post is my opinion. All users of info have sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for their use.

Dues paid 2021, worth every penny

RV9A- Status:
95% done, 15% left to go
Electrical/Panel 95% done
Firewall Forward 5% in work
Fiberglass 0%, thought i was building in metal?
www.pilotjohnsrv9.blogspot.com
Old 05-05-2021, 11:39 PM

Well, you might have totally screwed up your weight and balance with all of that extra weight.
APRS Tracking for KJ6YRP and Flying Over the Hills Blog
2021 VAF donator
EAA Tech Counselor, Pre Buys, Build assistance - canopy/tanks/fiberglass/electrical/repairs
Old 05-06-2021, 12:39 AM

It's fine, build on. If the only mistakes you make are accidentally using a few 1 size too long rivets, you're going to have an amazing airplane.
Old 05-06-2021, 10:03 AM

There are lots of places where I use Van's plan rivets as a "recommendation". There are plenty of times where there is a layer of tank sealant inside the rivet row, or you are riveting something where fiberglass is involved (where the thickness varies by an amount observable with the naked eye.) Or, frankly, where two bent pieces come together and there is a bit of a gap, and no amount of clecos or clamps holds things tight enough, so a longer rivet helps to pull things together.

Going long is always preferable to going short, as long as the shop head is pretty and not a leaning tower. The next time you order anything from Aircraft Spruce, buy a quarter pound or half a pound of every single 426-3 rivet from 4 to 6, at 0.5 intervals, to keep on hand.

And as soon as the "in my day, we had to smelt our own aluminum" crowd weighs in, they will tell you that the older models are all on your own and the builder always picks his or her own rivets.
Panel hopefully coming fall 2021

N1814T reserved with FAA
Donated Jan 11 for 2021, EAA and AOPA member
Old 05-06-2021, 11:05 AM

Agreed - as you build on you'll find several more places in the airplane where you put the indicated rivet in the hole and it just obviously doesn't look right, and you adjust up or down as needed to get it right.

After a few hundred rivets you can eyeball it before setting the rivet and know if it's going to be right or not.
After a few thousand rivets you can feel the shop head with a fingertip in a blind area without the ability to see it and know if it's OK or not.
Built an off-plan RV9A with too much fuel and too much HP. Should drop dead any minute now.
Old 05-06-2021, 11:17 AM

OK, I feel better now. My friend does, I mean. Yes. He feels better.

I did get a bunch of extra rivets, only 1/8lb each but that seems like plenty to start. At least it helps offset the surprising number of them that I drop on the floor where they immediately vanish never to be seen again.

For the record - and thank you Bruce for putting the idea into my OCD-prone head - if I mathed this correctly, the too-long rivets have added 286 milligrams of extra mass to the empennage. Obviously I'll need to compensate, maybe I could stick a wad of bubblegum under the instrument panel.
Old 05-06-2021, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottK View Post
Obviously I'll need to compensate, maybe I could stick a wad of bubblegum under the instrument panel.
Be careful. The instrument panel is VERY close to the Center of Gravity. It would take less bubblegum if you put it on the engine mount. Of course an ample piece of fire-sleeve will be appropriate.
USAF Vet, High School E-LSA Project Mentor.
RV-6 Flying since 1993 (sold)
<rvmel(at)icloud.com>
Old 05-06-2021, 12:18 PM

I keep rivets in empty plastic water bottles. When I need some I use a plastic tray from some microwave stuff to hole those few. It drastically cut down the loss rate.

Dave
Old 05-06-2021, 05:17 PM

Default Lost rivets?

Nope, not lost. They'll come back. All ya gotta do is just kneel down. You'll know when you find one.
Emp/TC done; Wings done; Fuse kit done

"Keep flying. Malcolm Reynolds
Paid up until Aug 2022