What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

TOGA button location

guccidude1

Well Known Member
Friend
For those who have mounted a TOGA button on a non-throttle quadrant application, where did you mount it to make it readily accessible to the push-pull throttle. Dan from Reno

I put mine right above the prop knob .. the real estate above the throttle is to valuable for flaps and fuel pump switches! The prop should be all the way in for TOGA ops, so there's not much chance of bumping anything important when you need to mash the button.

Attachments

• toga.jpg
    toga.jpg
    248.9 KB · Views: 513
Last edited:
I put mine right above the prop knob .. the real estate above the throttle is to valuable for flaps and fuel pump switches! The prop should be all the way in for TOGA ops, so there's not much chance of bumping anything important when you need to mash the button.

Why not between the throttle and the Prop knobs? Close enough to the throttle that on a missed approach, you can push it without taking your hand off the throttle, yet out of the way that you aren’t hitting it by accident?

Guys: Thanks for the replies, I think I will place the button above the throttle, a natural place when going full power for takeoff or go around. I forgot to ask before, what type of push button and size did/would ya'll use/recommend? Dan from Reno

For reference, the (certified) GFC 500 installation manual has this to say:

The installation of the Go Around switch must meet the following criteria;
  • Must be within easy reach of the hand that normally operates the throttle
  • Must be easily located by the pilot without visual reference
  • Must be located so that any action to operate switch will not cause an unintended input to the aircraft flight or engine controls
  • Must be located to minimize inadvertent operation and interference from other nearby switches or devices
  • Switch must be clearly labeled [...]

While not legally binding for our aircraft, this is nevertheless good advice to follow.

Must be easily located by the pilot without visual reference
Switch must be clearly labeled [...]

I think I understand the intent, but these two requirements do seem a little contradictory. Have to be able to find it blind, but it must be labelled so you can see it. :p

For those who have mounted a TOGA button on a non-throttle quadrant application, where did you mount it to make it readily accessible to the push-pull throttle. Dan from Reno

Funny timing on this. I installed my TOGA button 20 minutes before you posted this. Just decided to do it the previous day to simplify by go around procedure by one hand movement. I placed it directly above my throttle after finding a spot that I could press in the same motion as advancing the throttle. That combined action is now my first step in a go around and subsequent actions aren't immediately required.

I'm attaching a picture, you'll see a red button just above the black throttle knob. There is no takeoff aspect to the button, just go around. With the Dynon panel, it is identical to pressing the Nose Up button on the autopilot control panel.

Attachments

• IMG-1336.jpg
    IMG-1336.jpg
    355.3 KB · Views: 429
Just out of curiosity, is this an IFR thing mostly?
RVs have so much excess power that there’s not really a need to do anything immediately, even with full flaps. I’ve never thought I needed a TOGA. Maybe I do?

Just out of curiosity, is this an IFR thing mostly?
RVs have so much excess power that there’s not really a need to do anything immediately, even with full flaps. I’ve never thought I needed a TOGA. Maybe I do?

TOGA will sequence the missed approach leg on your IFR procedure..otherwise you may have to start your go around, then poke the gps to get it to navigate to the missed approach leg. The button may do other things too, hopefully other smarter people will elaborate.

For me it is an IFR with autopilot thing - only for use when doing a coupled approach with VNAV. Pressing the GO AROUND button does a couple of things, the most important is it changes the autopilot mode from a descent to a climb. In my configuration it starts an IAS climb at current IAS. The other change it does is change from NAV mode to TRK mode using the final approach course, this isn't all that helpful as I'd have to reselect NAV if I want the autopilot to fly the published missed approach procedure.

What exactly is the TOGA button doing?

Are you getting command bars with track and climb for a missed or is it just sequencing the approach (RNAV APP)? Can you use it for takeoff?

I have a GRT Sport EX and GPS175 that talk to each other. My TOGA button is connected to the 175 which makes me think it’s just for sequencing. Anyone else flying this setup? I’m not flying yet.

Thanks,

Mounted mine between the throttle and prop knobs. Stein sells a nice one that is small, and 2 separate poles for 2 devices. It takes more force to push it than you would expect, and has a solid click so you know it has been activated.

Why not between the throttle and the Prop knobs? Close enough to the throttle that on a missed approach, you can push it without taking your hand off the throttle, yet out of the way that you aren’t hitting it by accident?

That's where mine is, though I still havent used it yet.

TOGA not just for IFR

I use to TOGA on every flight, it’s part of my pre-taxi check list.

Pressing TOGA, brings up the Flight Director scoreboard. I then dial in my initial heading (runway heading if I’m VFR) and initial altitude (1000 above ground if VFR)

My goal is to keep the autopilot sync’d with the flight even while hand flying. This way, if I engage the AP I know what it’s going to do.

BTW. My TOGA button is just to the right of the mixture but on the panel. So actually it is just to the right of the GMC 307.

Last edited:
I’m glad somebody else asked. I’ve never had a toga button and had no idea what it is useful for.

Seems like really limited uses for the way I fly.

TOGA is primarily for autopilot coupled approaches, and going missed. When I hit TOGA (really just Go Around in this scenario) at the missed approach point on the approach, the autopilot (Garmin for me) goes to pitch mode up 7° (programmable to the airplane) and wings level - the only other pilot task is punch the throttle. This stops the descent and commences a climb. The GTN is automatically sequenced for the missed approach, and the pilot chooses the next navigation mode - usually NAV to activate the missed approach but could be HDG. The TOGA button just simplifies the workload.

TO in TOGA is Take Off and it can be used in this mode as well. Line up on the runway, press TOGA and the AP goes pitch up and wings level. Hit the throttle, use your rudders to stay centered, once you rotate hit the AP button and then switch to the flight plan at your convenience.

My TO/GA is SPST switch on throttle which grounds inputs from GMC 507 and GTN. The inputs from those devices each have diodes in-line to prevent one device affecting the other. If you are using a DPST switch you don't need the diodes because those signals would be separated. I just couldn't find a DPST which would fit on my throttle. I think there are other threads on this subject on the forum.

On my plane, all the power stuff was grouped close together by an upstream builder / owner, and I've come to really appreciate it. Here's what I'd do next time:
* Throttle/prop/mixture not hanging below the panel for more stretch out room on a long flight
* Fuel pump as a rocker switch between throttle and prop
* Flaps always go to the right of the power knobs. This is / should be the standard location, per FAR 23. Yes, we don't have to comply with FAR 23, but human factors and muscle memory still apply. "It's an experimental and you can do what you want, but you might sometime end up paying an unexpected and high price."
* Carb heat / alt air to the left of the throttle is the standard location.
* TO/GA in the vicinity of the throttle, like above/left/whatever, depending.

To reply (redundantly) to a previous question, the TO/GA button:
* Sets the flight director and autopilot (if engaged) to wings level and a programmed amount of nose up. When I was getting the autopilot dialed in, I learned to fly final approach IFR at 80 KIAS (yes, a bit fast) so that when I hit TO/GA, I wouldn't bleed off too much speed before getting the power in. If you put power in first, you can get an illusion of pitch up from acceleration -- the term is somatogravic illusion. I also changed the TO/GA pitch attitude to a relatively shallow 3° up to limit the pitch sensations and airspeed bleed off. But then again, I'll adjust the climb angle (pitch or vertical speed setting) right after hitting TO/GA.
* TO/GA also tells the GTN navigator to start the missed approach procedure. Here's a GOTCHA, though -- the autopilot is till in TO/GA (pitch up/wings level), so you have to tell the autopilot to fly NAV. A previous poster said sometimes HDG mode, but the one time (yes, I need to practice more) I flew a published miss using the autopilot flying the GTN, it intercepted and flew the ground track corresponding to heading from the runway.
* Here's a potentially bad idea that I may abandon -- if I've flown an approach with the GTN providing guidance, once I'm completely on the ground, I'll hit TO/GA so that the GTN will not raise a racket and ask if I want to go around or not. If I ever fly an airplane with autothrottle, this technique is guaranteed to generate negative transfer. But what are the odds I'll win the lottery before old age grounds me...

Last edited:
Frankly when I’m flying a coupled approach and execute a GA I used the “Missed” button on the EFIS after I’ve added power and started my clean up.

However, if I was to add a TOGA button I believe the ideal placement would be on the control stick since my hand never, ever leaves the stick. I use military style grips with six possible grip switches available. I would think one of those switches could be used for this purpose if I was so inclined.

However all of my GAs are accomplished A/P off since my first inclination after power application is to disconnect the A/P using the A/P disconnect button on my grip and fly the GA manually. There are a number of configuration and power changes occurring during this critical phase of flight and I want to be in control of the aircraft - not the autopilot.

Back