- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 03-26-2021, 03:50 PM

Default Getting nervous before a flight

I love my RV, but before I make a big flight, I always feel a little but nervous. Tomorrow, I am supposed to fly from Borrego Springs to Reno, NV to spend the night. After the night there, I fly to Red Bluff, and then home. But, I find myself looking at this trip with some trepidation.

Iím nervous that maybe the weather wonít be good enough, or I will not be able to get the airplane started when the engine is warm before I kill the battery, and Iíll be stranded. Iím nervous about the aircraft getting its avionics stolen while itís sitting on the ramp overnight. Or maybe Iíll get a flat tire.

What do yíall do to help calm your nerves before you fly?
Old 03-26-2021, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemos View Post
I love my RV, but before I make a big flight, I always feel a little but nervous. Tomorrow, I am supposed to fly from Borrego Springs to Reno, NV to spend the night. After the night there, I fly to Red Bluff, and then home. But, I find myself looking at this trip with some trepidation.

Iím nervous that maybe the weather wonít be good enough, or I will not be able to get the airplane started when the engine is warm before I kill the battery, and Iíll be stranded. Iím nervous about the aircraft getting its avionics stolen while itís sitting on the ramp overnight. Or maybe Iíll get a flat tire.

Well, I just look at cross country as multiple little legs.. Just avoid the get-thereitus, so no pressure if things donít work out exactly as planned..
Van's RV-12 #120566 - ELSA - N49DD
Spinks Airport, KFWS, Fort Worth, TEXAS!

DONATED
Old 03-26-2021, 04:07 PM

Default Fly More

From a rookie pilot less than 200 hours, it gets better with experience. Very much understand the weather and equipment concerns and you need to heed to those concerns. Be safe and do not fly beyond your limits. Keep a close eye on your plane and make sure it is safe. Watch the weather and proceed with caution. Your enjoyment will improve with time and experience.

Eulice Curington
RV-10 N104EW
Old 03-26-2021, 04:08 PM

Quote:

I’m nervous that maybe the weather won’t be good enough, or I will not be able to get the airplane started when the engine is warm before I kill the battery, and I’ll be stranded. I’m nervous about the aircraft getting its avionics stolen while it’s sitting on the ramp overnight. Or maybe I’ll get a flat tire.

What do y’all do to help calm your nerves before you fly?
Probably a lot of folks will be traveling next week and I am one of them. try break it down and assess each risk and have some mitigation.

1. Weather - set your personal minimums and do not fly if it is close to those. have an out such as land and wait out the weather. you may meet some interesting people that way too.

2. Hot start - work the procedure so you absolutely know you can restart the airplane.

3. Avionics stolen - if you wish you can pull the avionics easily and put them in a carry bag. I used to do that but my avionics are not worth much so I don't anymore.

4. Flat tire - usually you can find some help for this but if not carry a jack, a spare tube and a small pump (I do).

Aviation is usually a very pleasant bunch of folks so they are good to meet if you have a problem. Once you are airborne these risks will fade because you will be having a good time.

Simplicity is the art in design.
I was born an airplane nut. I have no explanation for it.
My Artwork is freely given and published and cannot be patented.
www.rvplasticparts.com

Last edited by Steve Melton : 03-26-2021 at 04:11 PM.
Old 03-26-2021, 04:08 PM

Quote:
calm your nerves
Which nerves
40+ years of flying, some Ks hours in said years, took care of all nerves I still had

http://www.aerofun.ch

RV-6.9 #25685, slider, O-360-A3A (carb/dual Lightspeed II), MTV-12-B, HB-YLL owner & lover
RV-4 #2062 HB-YVZ airframe builder
Old 03-26-2021, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Aside from the weather piece, the same things could happen if you drove your car. What would you do if the car didn't start, you got a flat or someone broke in and stole the radio. $h!t happens. You deal with it. Fix what needs to be fixed. Rent a car if you need to get home. Stay an additional night. Having anxiety about a flight is a good thing. It forces you to make sure everything is in the best possible condition for a safe flight. I also get nervous before a long flight, especially if I am carrying passengers. I worry about how I am going to deal with a failure in flight. What will I do if the weather gets bad. But I don't get stress out over failures on the ground. I would much prefer to fix it on the ground than deal with it in flight.

Try to get a good night's sleep and have a safe flight.
Old 03-26-2021, 04:26 PM

I was nervous about our flight from OKC to Pocatello, ID last October when we bought our Rans S6. My biggest concern was the mountains between here and there. All I had heard/read was "GET MOUNTAIN TRAINING". Well, it turned out it was no big deal at all. Just go around them, and that's what we did. It turned out to be one of the most fascinating, and fun, trips I'd ever made in the airplane.
Donated
Old 03-26-2021, 06:19 PM

Quote:

Address the unknowns. Go into the unknown . . .s . . l . . o . . w . . l . .y. As an old test pilot said.

Weather - not good for engine start - don't go - don't get so fully investing in the event that you can't change it.

Hot start - practice then until you are adept at starting.

Stolen Avionics - lock the plane - make sure insurance coverage is there.

Flat tire - can't help there - carry a jack, wheel - - - what ever you have practice doing to reduce the risks.

RV-7
Old 03-26-2021, 06:46 PM

Default Yeah

As a 1500 hour VFR pilot, most of it in RV's, I feel nervous before every flight. Sometimes on bluebird days I stand down even on a 30 minute joyride around the patch just because I'm not "feeling it" at the moment. Every time I go up in my brand new 10 and log a fractional hour in phase 1, I think as I'm tucking her back in the hangar, "What a wonderful machine. A joy to fly - makes me look like a better pilot than I am."

But the 'nerves' never go away - and I believe they shouldn't. Taking yourself and possibly your family aloft in a complex machine you built yourself over hostile mountain terrain even on a calm sunny day is an exercise in risk mitigation and should never be done cavalierly. Even the hoped-for instrument ticket will not make that go away. But the adrenaline adds to the enjoyment - if you face it right and just roll it into the exhilarating mix that is sport aviation.

The part I have never learned to like is the lonely feeling that I am the only one who has to do the flight planning and shoulder 100% responsibility for laying out a trip and then keeping a wary eye on the return WX the whole time we're away. The family never seems to understand why I'm a bit on edge starting the night before launch and while we're away. Driving trips are just not the same at all - you turn the key: it starts. You have a mechanical issue - the tow truck, mechanic and a few $$$ make it all a minor annoyance. You take ill -
the wife or kids assume driving duties. Dispatch reliability is not the concern with modern automotive travel the way it was 50 years ago, but it will haunt you every hour in an airplane such as we fly.

Like the thread that we had a year or so ago about pilots who fantasize while driving down a street about suddenly being in their RV instead of a car and how would you fly yourself out of an urban box-canyon, I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one who finds flying a bit more intimidating than I'd like sometimes - well, most times

Hop-Along Aerodrome (12VA)
RV-6A - N30YD - Built '98 / sold '20
RV-10 - N130YD - 50 hours +
65 years running stock DNA
Old 03-26-2021, 07:09 PM

When I travel cross country I always try to spend the night parked at a class C airport. They usually have 24 hours security and some type of maintenance.

Weather - write down youíre weather minimums and sign the paper. Give the paper to your spouse or a buddy. It will help keep you honest as you gain experience. My IFR limit is 1000/3, takeoff, enroute and destination. If itís below that I donít go or I fly the airlines. Set youíre own limits for VFR/IFR and take the worry out of weather planning.

Just a few things Iíve done since 1988.