What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Thank you - Pat Hatch

Tankerpilot75

Well Known Member
As many of you know Pat Hatch has a small business called PH Aviation Services. One of the products he sells is the UTRB module (a trim control module). This is a really good product for controlling both pilot and copilot inputs so that they don’t accidentally cancel each other out and allows multiple inputs like dual switch comm, frequency swaps, flaps, transponder Ident, PTT and CP/PTT on etc. to smoothly be controlled remotely by two stick grips.

When I purchased my UTRB module four years ago Pat went the extra mile helping me get it correctly installed and wired using both email and phone calls. Recently I’ve been installing a TruTrac auto trim module a friend gave me that he couldn’t use.

During the installation process my aileron trim on both sticks quit working. My first inclination was this is a single point failure and the likely cause was a possible short in the UTRB module. The problem was I hadn’t been working in that area!

But I did run four additional wires to the elevator trim servo for the auto trim module. I call Pat Hatch and he graciously listened to my problem description and suggested several diagnostic approaches to identify the issue. He suggested I specifically checkout output pin #3 to confirm 12v output to the aileron trim relays. Well, he was right on target! I had broken the d-sub pin where the wire and pin meet. I guess the four wires I installed had somehow brushed up against that connector and disturb a weak pin connection.

I truly appreciate Pat’s help and time. His knowledge and ability to diagnose problems is truly superb. He supports his customers graciously and completely - no matter how dumb they are!

Thank you Pat Hatch! It’s small businesses like his in the RV community that make owning and flying an RV such a great experience.

++ Pat Hatch

Pat , a long time friend, is the sole reason I built an RV-4. When Pat lived in NC, he and some fellow corporate pilots had the first RV's in the area based next to the Piedmont Airlines hangar I worked in. I wasted no time getting to know him, and after my first ride in the back of his RV-4, the grin and itch to build was in my blood. These were the days of no internet, no VAF, all word-of-mouth and Vans RVator every once in a while. Good times, great friends, and slow building for most. The RV world has changed (for the better)and the mentors of builders and innovators like Pat can be shared because of VAF and comradery of this great RV Nation!

Pat has been a long time client---and proud to call him a friend. He has spent alot of his time helping a bunch of us.
Here's to you buddy!

Tom

Back