What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

CnerryMAX removal lesson learned

Mikeyb

Well Known Member
I used CherryMAX rivets in a row of hard to get rivets on my 8. They worked out great. No problem.

Before I put them in i wanted to be sure I could remove one. I heard they were hard to remove. There is a great video that shows the process using center drills. I was dubious based on my experience using them with a hand drill and bought a cobalt starting drill from McMaster Carr. PN 27445A11.

I center punched the stem with a sharp Starrett automatic center punch and drilled it out until the lock was gone and punched it out with a sharp Starrett 1/16” drive punch. I did four of them without a problem. In a way it was less stressful than removing a solid rivet. It’s almost impossible to get into the base material with the drill.

I don’t have the best hand/eye coordination and if I can do it anyone can.

Attachments

• 4B2239F1-EBED-43BC-8A2A-4893A6946DDC.jpeg
    4B2239F1-EBED-43BC-8A2A-4893A6946DDC.jpeg
    512.1 KB · Views: 512
  • 5DA28DAB-9A2A-4A54-B806-4A015C96B3FD.jpeg
    5DA28DAB-9A2A-4A54-B806-4A015C96B3FD.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 488
Just take a Dremel or pneumatic grinder with a small cutoff wheel or a burr bit and "wipe" the head with it until the locking ring pops off or is gone. Drive the mandrel out with a small pin punch (it will only take a couple of taps). Drill the head off and if necessary drive the rest of the rivet out. For flush head Cherrymax rivets a burr bit works best for the first step and you have to be a little more careful. The tools you already have will work. The mandrel lock ring is the reason Cherrymax rivets are approved to replace solid rivets size-for-size, and getting rid of it is the key to removing a Cherrymax rivet. This has worked for me for a long time.

Last edited:
CherryMAX removal

There is a YouTube series called AVT 206 A&P sheet metal class. I searched for
“ removing cherrymax rivets” and it popped right up.
Wish I would have seen it last month.

Cheers, Tom

Back