What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Buying A Share in a RV9a, yea!!!!

Billstone

Just a head's up, finally fulfilling a long term ambition and buying into a pristine well built RV9a.
So far, due to weather, I've only sat in the cockpit, running through procedures and systems, and drooling :) . Looking forward to joing the Vans community.

Finally am getting to fly it today having so far just sat in the cockpit, drooling and running through the procedures, watching the fabric hangar toss and twist in the wind. If I like it (as if that's possible :) ) I'm going to transfer the funds on landing then look for transition training. Its quite choppy today, but that is good as it masks my flying skills :)
Everyone else in the syndicate has thousands of hours (I've got 280), and I'm not sure the bloke who recommended told them that.. but he did recommend me. I am considering transition training, but in the UK I can't seem to find any. Do people in the States offer it still, a quick search failed to reveal anything?
Currently pacing round the house annoying the dogs who have finally gone upstairs.

The -9A is a great airplane. I wouldn't exactly call it docile, but it's very honest, very predictable, and I haven't it to have any bad habits. It can be easy to overcontrol, but doesn't take long to learn how to not do that.

What aircraft are you transitioning from?

It was awesome! The climb out is like a winch launch on a glider! Did turns, steep turns, steeper turns :) 😀 then stalls....deliberate stalls, not the result of bad turns, then bashed the circuit. Paid for my share this morning first thing.
Hi Mc Cool, I'm transiting from a Cheetah.

Attachments

• 20220225_150937.jpg
    20220225_150937.jpg
    252.9 KB · Views: 141
Congrats!!

I transitioned from a Warrior to my -9A with zero issues and it looks like you've done the same from the Cheetah.

The -9A is a nearly perfect aircraft for so many missions. Mine just refuses to do anything weird.

And I had the same reaction to the climb rate - flabbergasting compared to the Warrior. My transition trainer pointed out that this performance was an ace in the hole if a landing starts to go bad - cram the power in a -9 and you are flying again FAST.

My favorite thing to point out to new -9 owners: it's an outrageously efficient cross-country traveler. High speed, low fuel burn. It just chews up the miles. A recent example:

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N929JA/history/20220220/1739Z

It was awesome! The climb out is like a winch launch on a glider! Did turns, steep turns, steeper turns :) 😀 then stalls....deliberate stalls, not the result of bad turns, then bashed the circuit. Paid for my share this morning first thing.
Hi Mc Cool, I'm transiting from a Cheetah.

That cruise performance is impressive. Airspace restrictions mean I might not get to use rhe high level cruise performance as much as I like. The flight aware track made me jump....I live in a village called Quainton, at first glance I thought you'd flown to my place. :)

Getting to grips with the plane more and more. Flew to the WestcCoast today, the west coast of Wales, a beautiful airfield called Haverfordwest. Climber to 6500 feet, that's nosebleed level here in the UK, and occasionally had a groundspeed of 160kts. That's the fastest and highest I've ever flown

Attachments

• 20220307_145045.jpg
    20220307_145045.jpg
    424.6 KB · Views: 202
  • 20220307_154223.jpg
    20220307_154223.jpg
    171.4 KB · Views: 151
Just a head's up, finally fulfilling a long term ambition and buying into a pristine well built RV9a.
So far, due to weather, I've only sat in the cockpit, running through procedures and systems, and drooling :) . Looking forward to joing the Vans community.

You will absolutely love the RV9A I received from the LAA yesterday the initial permit to fly, so itching to get up in her and get my wobbly prop sign off and converted to type. Only flown in mine once so far and that was note taking all the test flight data required on the final long 2hr Test flight sortie, they are such lovely aircraft, well harmonized controls and flipping fast :)

I'm also UK based so if your anywhere near Exeter, EGTE, welcome to have look and chat RV9As anytime. I can also suggest a local instructor for transition training but that may or may not be local for you of course.

Near Exeter??? If you have a RV9a...you are near everywhere! I will definitely give you a shot when I'm checked out I am based at Enstone in Oxfordshire.

This week I've persuaded a fellow syndicate member to fly with me down to the South West coast, Newquay in Cornwall or maybe a few miles further to Land's End. About 200 miles each way, a long way for the UK. Up till last month, I was doing flights of 100 miles max in the Cheetah, but now I think in much bigger / longer terms. I am really going to enjoy this plane.
One of my next goals is to learn how to file flight plans (VFR ones) so I can fly North more directly.

Bigger!

Mornin’ Bill….wow….you have to realize that you have an airplane that’s capable of ‘round-the-world-flights! They have been done on standard tanks too..here on Van’s, so don’t think in terms of 200 mile flights….think in terms of thousands….😊

Cheers,

RV9A

I don’t think there’s any easier transition than from a Cheetah to an RV9A. I had about 50 hrs in a Tiger and my insurance company considered that “time in type” and required no additional training. That was 9yrs and 550 hrs ago. You’re gonna love it!

Mornin’ Bill….wow….you have to realize that you have an airplane that’s capable of ‘round-the-world-flights! They have been done on standard tanks too..here on Van’s, so don’t think in terms of 200 mile flights….think in terms of thousands….😊

Cheers,

I'll let you know what I cone up with!!

I don’t think there’s any easier transition than from a Cheetah to an RV9A. I had about 50 hrs in a Tiger and my insurance company considered that “time in type” and required no additional training. That was 9yrs and 550 hrs ago. You’re gonna love it!

I just got checked our and sent solo today!

Easy mistake to make

As you doubtless know, we have a lot of places over here named for places over there. In fact, my airport is in NEW Kent. Near Hampton, Richmond, Norfolk, Portsmouth, etc. etc. :)

That cruise performance is impressive. Airspace restrictions mean I might not get to use rhe high level cruise performance as much as I like. The flight aware track made me jump....I live in a village called Quainton, at first glance I thought you'd flown to my place. :)

You will absolutely love the RV9A I received from the LAA yesterday the initial permit to fly, so itching to get up in her and get my wobbly prop sign off and converted to type. Only flown in mine once so far and that was note taking all the test flight data required on the final long 2hr Test flight sortie, they are such lovely aircraft, well harmonized controls and flipping fast :)

I'm also UK based so if your anywhere near Exeter, EGTE, welcome to have look and chat RV9As anytime. I can also suggest a local instructor for transition training but that may or may not be local for you of course.
Hibagain, I was down your way yesterday, flew into Bolt Head, it is beautiful.

Back