What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

exporting to Canada

taxi driver

I'm New Here
I am planning on buying a 4,6 or 8.

The problem is that I live in Canada.

If anyone has experience exporting experimental aircraft to Canada please inform me of the process.

Thanks

A few friends have done this recently and the red tape would make your head spin. IMO it is a PITA. Transferring funds, getting it here (you can't fly a US registered aircraft in Canadian airspace without a US license), you need an MDRA inspection as soon as it hits Canadian soil, the plane must have 100 hours on it already... the list goes on. My 2 cents is to find a Canadian RV- way less hassle.

IF you buy anywhere, take someone along who knows RVs before you sign your name.

I have help in the process of bringing several RV's into Canada. Its not that much work if you follow the processes laid out. Money transfers are not a hassle and customs are easy to deal with. Give me a PM if you want more help.

... you can't fly a US registered aircraft in Canadian airspace without a US license ...
I am not aware of all the issues associated with importing an aircraft, but I don't believe the above statement is correct. FAR 61 has a specific exclusion which covers operation outside the US:

61.3 Requirement for certificates, ratings, and authorizations.

(a) Pilot certificate. A person may not act as pilot in command or in any other capacity as a required pilot flight crewmember of a civil aircraft of U.S. registry, unless that person?

(1) Has a valid pilot certificate or special purpose pilot authorization issued under this part in that person's physical possession or readily accessible in the aircraft when exercising the privileges of that pilot certificate or authorization. However, when the aircraft is operated within a foreign country, a current pilot license issued by the country in which the aircraft is operated may be used; and ...

===========
The wording is a bit tough to read if you aren't a lawyer, but Canadian CAR 401.04 (a) says that you can fly a foreign aircraft in Canada using your Canadian license:

401.04 No person shall act as a flight crew member or exercise the privileges of a flight crew licence in Canada in an aircraft registered in a contracting state other than Canada, unless the person holds, and can produce while so acting or while exercising such privileges,

(a) a flight crew permit or licence issued under this Subpart; or

(b) a flight crew licence, or a document equivalent to a foreign licence validation certificate, that is issued under the laws of the contracting state.

So if I want to sell a US-registered aircraft into Canada what are the steps required?

Does a USA DAR or IA have to do some sort of conformity inspection prior to export?

It seems I should leave the N-Number on the aircraft and not cancel it with the FAA until after the aircraft arrives in Canada for whatever their inspection procedure is. The timing of how this is done could be critical to avoid operating an unairworthy aircraft in either country.

And so it would also seem that a US licensed pilot would need to fly the aircraft across the border if the buyer has a Canadian pilot's license only.

Thanks in advance.

There is no need for any conformity inspection prior to leaving the US.

Importation of amateur-built aircraft to Canada is covered in an exemption to the Canadian Aviation Regulations (CARs). See Exemption 012-2009 (link at the end)

The amateur-built aircraft must have flown at least 100 hours before importation into Canada to be eligible for registration in Canada. It will require a comprehensive inspection to confirm that it meets the Canadian "requirements" for amateur-built aircraft, which unfortunately are not identical to the US requirements. The inspection is performed by an inspector assigned by Minister's Delegates - Recreational Aviation (MD-RA). MD-RA is a non-profit organization run by the amateur-built aircraft community that has been delegated the authority to conduct the required inspections of amateur-built aircraft.

You'll need to leave the N-number on until the aircraft arrives in Canada, as the aircraft won't receive a Canadian Special Certificate of Airworthiness until it has been inspected by MD-RA.

The pilot who flys the aircraft across the border will need an FAA license. Once in Canada, the US-registered aircraft can be flown a pilot with either a US or Canadian license.

Note there is a requirement for liability insurance for any aircraft that is operated in Canada, under CAR 606.02

Exemption 012-2009: https://tc.canada.ca/en/aviation/re...worthiness-standards-amateur-built-aircraft-0
MD-RA: https://www.md-ra.com/en/
MD-RA Form C26EA Review of Import Documents, Inspection: Go to the MD-RA site, click "Inspection Documents", scroll to find the link for " C26EA Review of Import Documents, Inspection"
CAR 606.02 Liability Insurance: https://lois-laws.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/SOR-96-433/FullText.html#s-602.01

The easiest process by far would be for the seller (or designated US ferry pilot) to deliver the aircraft to Canada. This solves registration/airworthiness/& INSURANCE issues in getting the plane to the destination.

Once in Canada, the ferry pilot clears Canadian Customs per normal, the sale transaction can be completed on arrival, buyer notifies & does the Canada Customs Import Declaration & pays the relevant GST, the seller informs the FAA to deregister the aircraft for export, FAA notifies Transport Canada of the IMPORT bound aircraft, the buyer can now apply for Canadian registry.

The real fun starts at this point for the buyer - MD-RA needs to do the steps to get a Canadian Certificate of Airworthiness issued. This usually involves an annual inspection be performed, all Canadian compliance (equipment & currency issues) delt with before the actual import inspection, plus the other nit pick items that are raised along the way. The buyer will end up with a file about 1/4" thick in the end before he can enjoy his new to him RV.

Sounds ominous, but many before have endured!

This is my recollections of the couple imports I helped with, of course there are many (maybe more difficult, or not) ways to get it done. Please add any details I have forgot.

edit- Kevin says it much better than I ever could!

I bought and imported ourRV-6A to CANADA from the USA and Ralph has it pretty well figured out. I did the deal with the USA owner and arranged an American pilot to ferry the plane to CANADA. The only involvement for the American seller was to apply for de registration after it was paid for and delivered to CANADA, really a nothing sandwich for the seller.

It took 3 months of paperwork and several thousand dollars to get it registered in Canada but again not a huge issue but it wasn’t my first kick at the cat.:)

So for American sellers….no big deal at all. For Canadian buyers a much bigger deal and time and money but ultimately because of the huge choice in the USA it might mean you get exactly what you want.

If the plane you want is available in CANADA then don’t low ball the guy based on USA prices because by the time you have that C of R in hand your American aircraft imported is not going to be as cheap as you might think.

You'll need to leave the N-number on until the aircraft arrives in Canada, as the aircraft won't receive a Canadian Special Certificate of Airworthiness until it has been inspected by MD-RA.

The pilot who flys the aircraft across the border will need an FAA license. Once in Canada, the US-registered aircraft can be flown a pilot with either a US or Canadian license.
This is one way to do it. The other way to do it is to de-register it in the US, register it in Canada, and fly it home on the Canadian registration. That's what I did when I imported my -6 in 2010.

The FAA issued a ferry permit valid from the origin to the border, Transport Canada issued a ferry permit valid from the border to the destination in Canada. Insurance company (Marsh) had no problem insuring me for the flight.

Rob - it seems this process is getting more difficult at TC has been reported to be less willing to issue ferry permits for non-type-certificated aircraft. And they are reasonably slow in processing issuing a new C of R, so the airplane will sit on the ground in the US for a while before it is eligible to come across the border.

Gotta love bureaucracies!

Just ferried one last month. N registered. Owner applied for a Canadian Certificate of Registration and we put it on the side of the airplane. TC issued a ferry permit within a week. Paid the taxes, put on insurance and flew it back with a Canadian license. Now it is just completing the MD-RA inspection process. No different than importing a certified airplane except you are dealing with the MD-RA for the Certificate of Airworthiness.

Just ferried one last month. N registered. Owner applied for a Canadian Certificate of Registration and we put it on the side of the airplane. TC issued a ferry permit within a week. Paid the taxes, put on insurance and flew it back with a Canadian license. Now it is just completing the MD-RA inspection process. No different than importing a certified airplane except you are dealing with the MD-RA for the Certificate of Airworthiness.

That's interesting... TC told me they couldn't issue a ferry permit for flight within the US, and I had to get one from the FAA.

Back