What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Potential RV-10 owner, coming from a 177RG

CubedRoot

Well Known Member
Hey all,
I am going to Vegas to do a pre-buy on a nice 2012 built RV-10 this weekend. So far everything looks really great on this aircraft. I was hoping to get some opinions and feedback.

I've owned a 1973 Cessna 177RG since 2018, and am at the point of selling it, which is why I am looking at this RV-10. The Cardinal insurance is getting insane (3500 this renewal), and the annuals on it are always expensive. But one thing I LOVE about the Cardinal is the really roomy cabin and views.

Have any of you RV-10 guys also flown and/or owned a 177RG before? How would you say the two compare? Any Pros and Cons?

Lynn, I have a flying RV10 at CHA if you are interested. Will be glad to take you up.

Hey all,
Any Pros and Cons?

Con: You’ll likely find the -10 harder to get in and out of. Of course as an EAB every -10 is different. Some have assist handles, some don’t. But the low wing is actually pretty high, so it’s one good step up onto the step, then another onto the wing (do not use the flap as a step). I carry a folding plastic mini step ladder to help those who don’t feel comfortable on the narrow step. Getting in once on the wing is easy for back seat passengers; for the front seat there’s a technique to be learned. Of course the 177 has that giant car door for in/out.

That’s the only con I can think of.

Pro: everything else. 173 ktas on 14 gal/hr, but I routinely fly at 160 ktas on less than 10 gal/hr (about the same fuel flow as your 177rg). Did I mention the climb rate? On Monday we departed KMYF (Montgomery-Gibbs in San Diego). Most north bound departures fly west to the coast, then, under the class B airspace below 1500’. But there’s also a vfr flyway above 3200’. The controller started to caution us to stay clear of class B, but then noted we were already above 3200’, and said, ‘I’ve never seen a single climb so fast’. I routinely cruise at 10k or 11k just because the plane gets up there so fast (we just went right over the LAX class B at 10.5k.) The -10’s nose slopes down a bit looking forward, so it has great visibility. Seat comfort is again a builder variable, but seat space is similar, or perhaps a bit more, than the 182 I used to fly.

Last edited:
Just remember, there is no other GA airplane on earth that provides easier cockpit access than the 177, RG or fixed gear. This may not seem like a big deal but, in the case of my family, a brain tumor suddenly made cockpit access a very big deal indeed. None of us are getting younger, either. These are all important factors to consider when making your decision.

Lynn, I have a flying RV10 at CHA if you are interested. Will be glad to take you up.

I'd much appreciate that! I keep my 177RG over at KFGU. I'll send you a PM with my contact info, I'll gladly pay my pro-rata share for a ride in an RV-10 :)

Have you got a quite on RV10 insurance?
RV10 insurance w/o a few hundred hours logged is expensive too.
I’ve got 700 hr with 500 in a RV6 but had none in a 10.
No claims, clean record.

First year they hit me for $3,100

Don’t believe it will not cost you anything :)

You don't pay anything buddy, just let me know.

I’d echo what Bob above states. I flew a 177RG for a few years while in a club in KMLI. We really liked traveling in the 177RG. With that being said, when I completed the -10 in 2010 it was a step up from my POV. You ask about room.. I’m 6’5”, my son 6’7”, son-in-law 6’2” ish…. Any combination of two of us can easily fit in the front with plenty of leg room for the rear passengers. I really couldn’t believe it till we actually started flying it.

So…. You may not pay Aviator for the ride but I’m betting the ride will likely be expensive for you…

Best regards,
Doug

Unfortunately Lynn could not keep our appointment on Friday due to some last minute work. I offered to take him up on Saturday (today) but he has not replied. I guess he is off to LV to do the pre buy. Wish him well.
I flew around this AM to nowhere in particular.:)
Filling up at Sewanee, a small airport with one way in and out. Runway 6.

Attachments

• Sewanee.jpg
    Sewanee.jpg
    324.8 KB · Views: 60
Back