What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

EGT Probes

jhiggins

I've had Dynon EGT probes go bad pretty early. Dynon probes are $40, EI probes (durable) are over $100. Has anyone ever tried the ones you can buy on amazon with clamp for around $20? Do they last?
Just curious.

Jim Higgins

I had 6 of the older Dynon probes and had many of them fail. I've got a 4 cylinder, so I ended up using my 2 spares as replacements. Still had a couple of those fail, so I bought some of the newer probes and those have been rock solid for hundreds of hours.
I think Dynon changed suppliers at some point, so this might no longer be a problem.

The ALCOR proves that Garmin uses have a 5 year warranty for replacement…not sure if they’re compatible with Dynon, but it’s worth a look. They’re $120 / ea, but free replacement starts making that worth it quick.

Early warning?

My Skyview #2 EGT has recently started to indicate wild temperature swings—several hundred to two thousand deg F—before the engine starts. :confused: But after start, it indicates reasonable temperatures in line with the other three from taxi to run up to takeoff, climb, lean, cruise, landing and shutdown.

Just under 120 Hobbs hours on the engine and probes. Probably connector issues to check next time the cowl is off. Just wondering if anyone else has observed anything similar before probe death?

Exactly the same here. First probes started to fail like that at around 50 hours. Just replaced them recently and now the other one is showing similar behaviour.:eek:

I wonder if mounting the probes a little bit lower could cure the problem.

My Skyview #2 EGT has recently
started to indicate wild temperature swings—several hundred to two thousand deg F—before the engine starts. :confused: But after start, it indicates reasonable temperatures in line with the other three from taxi to run up to takeoff, climb, lean, cruise, landing and shutdown.

Just under 120 Hobbs hours on the engine and probes. Probably connector issues to check next time the cowl is off. Just wondering if anyone else has observed anything similar before probe death?

Back