Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 05-20-2022, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rongawer View Post
I'm sad to learn of K&P's owner passing; I talked with him a few times over the years and appreciate his innovation. However, I did just order an S40 filter for my motorcycle and it came within a few days, so I'd say the business is still running well.

The Challenger filter is made by K&P for Challenger; and they are rightfully protective of Challenger's PMA status, which I discovered years ago when I bought replacement quad rings for my Challenger filters on my Baron.

However, for experimental use, which we are talking about, a Lycoming engine will use the C4 housing, the element is FE-15, the spring is FE-RS1 and the o-ring is QR2. These components together will form a non-PMA filter that mirrors the Challenger CP48109.

You can order these as parts online at https://usaoilfilters.com.

I personally have K&P filters on all of my vehicles - driven mostly by their very high quality and excellent filtration, but also by no longer tossing oil filters in the garbage and buying new ones. It's $180 or so for the filter components I described, so there is a pay-back period. But it also solves supply chain issues on disposable filters. The additional benefits include quick and easy inspection; I've described this in other forum threads at length as well.
I couldn’t find a C4 housing listed on their website. Would another housing fit?
Their S15 filter kit includes all the parts you listed, except it has a C3 housing, and is less expensive than buying individual parts.
RV4/bought 2016/sold/2017
RV8/2018 built/Sold(sadly)
RV4/bought 2019/sold2021
RV6/Used kit purchased 2021 building
Cincinnati, OH/KHAO
JAN2022
Old 05-20-2022, 07:32 AM

The S15 kit with the C3 housing is what I am running.
Old 05-20-2022, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbalmos View Post
The S15 kit with the C3 housing is what I am running.
Scott,
Did you drive to Vandalia and pick it up? We’re you able to get the threaded nipple with a bypass in the filter? (Maybe you don’t need the nipple for your adapter)
RV4/bought 2016/sold/2017
RV8/2018 built/Sold(sadly)
RV4/bought 2019/sold2021
RV6/Used kit purchased 2021 building
Cincinnati, OH/KHAO
JAN2022
Old 05-20-2022, 07:41 AM

You don't order from Challenger in Vandalia. Order from K&P in Denver. And I don't need the nipple as I also have the Casper 45* oil filter adapter (like we were selling in the cleanout last weekend).
Old 05-20-2022, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctennis View Post
For those of you getting the K&P, just curious how long your delivery took? I ordered a few weeks and haven't heard a peep - just trying to calibrate my delivery expectations.
Mine arrived in about a week or so, didnt take long at all.

N455DM - RV-6A - Bought Flying - 2021
Tip Up Canopy
IO-360-A2B
FP 66" Catta 3 blade Carbon
IFR - 2 Garmin G5s - 430W - GFC500
JPI EMS-350 to monitor the temps
N89WD - Flight Design CTSW - Sold 2021
Donation Happily Made!
Old 05-20-2022, 01:10 PM

Just a note for anyone finding this thread, there are a couple of different entities at play here and it's a bit confusing.

K&P engineering makes the filters

Their online store front is usaoilfilters.com

The aviation model they make is re-branded by Challenger, and has to be ordered via a Challenger reseller (Spruce, etc).

There is also oilfiltersites.com out of Denver which sells the filters, and is a separate small business doing resale.

The pricing and storefront between the two sites is identical as best as I can tell, but they are not the same organization.
Old 05-20-2022, 01:17 PM

Further clarification -

K&P only sells via distributors. usaoilfilters.com is their distributor sister-company that you should order through. Do not mention anything "airplane", else K&P will cut the conversation very short and point you to Challenger. There is no need to go to Challenger / Spruce and to pay $100+ more for the PMA'd certified filter.
Old 05-20-2022, 03:22 PM

all correct on the latest posts, and major thread drift here, but since you insist

The S15 is also used on many different automobile equipment, hence I ordered mine from ECS Tuning... and there are more providers out there.

www.aerofun.ch

RV-6.9 #25685, slider, O-360-A3A (carb/dual Lightspeed II), MTV-12-B, HB-YLL owner & lover
RV-4 #2062 HB-YVZ airframe builder
Old 05-21-2022, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Hersha View Post
I couldn’t find a C4 housing listed on their website. Would another housing fit?
Their S15 filter kit includes all the parts you listed, except it has a C3 housing, and is less expensive than buying individual parts.
Scott, the C4 housing is not on their website. I'm made other posts to explain this, however, you can just call them to buy it or just get the S15 and drill the C3 housing flanges as an option. Ensure you explain it is for your experimental airplane. Although telling folks "it's for my RV" is a line I've used as well that's honest at that.

https://vansairforce.net/community/s...1&postcount=10
https://vansairforce.net/community/s...0&postcount=19

Quote:
Originally Posted by rv8ch View Post
What I like the most about the K&P filter is that I no longer have to cut open the filter can and cut out the paper element to inspect the filter. Just a bit of diesel fuel or some brake cleaner to see what's trapped in the element. I bought two of the filter elements so that I can take my time inspecting and cleaning the "dirty" one.

Couple of pictures here: http://www.rv8.ch/first-oil-change-w...anable-filter/

Attachment 26015
I completely agree.

There are several other threads on this same filter where we've discussed their value; it's a great product.

- RV10, N762G, Build in progress.
- Several others that are now just great memories for me.
Old 05-21-2022, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan 57 View Post
all correct on the latest posts, and major thread drift here, but since you insist

The S15 is also used on many different automobile equipment, hence I ordered mine from ECS Tuning... and there are more providers out there.
Thanks.... You just saved me $30.00 and free shipping.....
VAF #897 Warren Moretti
2021 =VAF= Dues PAID