What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rivet Tape

wawrzynskivp

Well Known Member
Rehashing this for new viewers.

RIVET TAPE! One tiny roll will last your whole build! When using an impact driver the tape will help hold undriven rivets and really improve the appearance of your driven heads. One little cut of tape will last for many, many rivets providing your work area is clean. I still have a lot left on my first roll after building an RV-7. Really meant for flush rivets, a little bit of blue painters tape is still probably better for the universal heads for that little bit of extra grip that helps stop the hop and a smile, and/or frown.

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/cspages/3mRivetersTape.php?clickkey=30186

Last edited:
I used 3M heavy duty clear packaging tape. Worked great on flush rivets. Doesn't leave any residue. Cut a piece about 2-3 inches long, and fold back one edge on itself to make a tab so it is easy to take off and on. You can use the same piece over and over. When the adhesive starts to wane, just get a new piece.

Packing tape

I used 3M heavy duty clear packaging tape. Worked great on flush rivets. Doesn't leave any residue. Cut a piece about 2-3 inches long, and fold back one edge on itself to make a tab so it is easy to take off and on. You can use the same piece over and over. When the adhesive starts to wane, just get a new piece.

My tape of choice as well. Make sure it's 3M Heavy Packing Tape. Other brands don't work as well. When noobies come over, I draw an "X" on the sticky side and tell them to use it as a target to keep the set centered.

I use rivet tape for all riveting, flush and universal head. I tried blue painter's tape and found the little tiny pieces of tape residue left, especially on the AN470, to be just more work than necessary.

I have the original 2 rolls of rivet tape I purchased when I started on the empennage. I'm nowhere near using up either roll. And, I'm just about ready to close up the top skins on the fuselage.

Back