What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-9/9a Plan Gottcha’s

I didn’t see a sticky like some of the other models have. As I begin reviewing my preview plans to make notes on, just wandering if there is enough input from builders past and present to have a sticky of its own?

Keith

Most models have same gotchas!

Keith,
Im not sure about gotchas specifically for the 9 only. I think most of them are the same for all the models.

Have fun on the preview plans and see if you can find someone to show you their plane or someone building. Around your area there should be a bunch of builders and flyers.

Best of luck and if you have any questions, there is always someone to help you out.

Check out my build log (link in my signature). I tried to document most every discrepancy I came across. After a while, you won't worry about every little thing. The plans get pretty light on specifics and most of the detail moves to the drawings. You'll get good at deciding how to proceed when there is confusion in the plans and it is always good to use the Search function here on VAF.

The 9/9A share many components with the 7/7A, which are far more numerous. So most discrepancies that you may encounter are likely documented in the 7/7A forums.

I don't think I've really faced discrepancies so much as occasional issues trying to figure out best sequences for various steps.

You can see my progress on the EAA Builder Log Site by searching for "Ken Bickers" or RV-9 and Longmont, Colorado.

Enjoy the journey.

Cheers, Ken

Appreciate everyone’s feedback.

Bruce, I still remember coming to visit you and seeing your project at your home when I live in San Diego.I greatly appreciated that. I’ll keep reviewing the build threads.

Keith

The only one I can think of so far is to rivet the inner ribs of the horizontal stab before you put the skin on, In the same step as riveting the intermediate ribs. I found that it makes the riveting of the angled rib easier

Use rv7

I just used the RV7 gotchas sheet. There really are too many ones that matter; Vans did a very good job on instructions. Most of the gotchas I found had to do with installing equipment that didnt exist when the RV9A was released for production.

Back