What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Need measurement

flyboy143

Anybody with there CS prop installed .....

I would like the measurement between the Ring gear assembly flange and the rear of the spinner plate S 602-1.

I am trying to fit my cowling and don't have my prop yet. I want to make a temporary spacer to install between the ring gear and the S 602-1.

Thanks

Last edited:
Measurement

I get 2 & 1/8” from the aft side of the rear spinner bulkhead to the forward face of the flywheel on a Hartzell HCC2YK hub. Since dimensions can vary a bit I would suggest you make the spinner gap 1/8 to 1/4” bigger than you want the end result to be. When your engine and prop are installed and the cowl is trimmed to final fit use micro on the front of the cowl to close the gap to your desired dimension.

Don Broussard
RV9 Rebuild in Progress
57 Pacer

Attachments

• 71295C66-85D5-4F12-84CA-66C0F29EEAC1.jpg
    71295C66-85D5-4F12-84CA-66C0F29EEAC1.jpg
    656.4 KB · Views: 153
Last edited:
SIMULATING PROPELLER FOR FITTING THE COWL

Have a look at the instructions at Van's FAQ page.

1. Simulate the propeller location by the following method:

• First be sure the starter ring gear is ON the engine (the toothy thing on the front)
  • Now locate a couple of feet of white PVC pipe that will just slip over the crankshaft lugs. (typically ¾”-1” pipe or so)
  • With a table saw or chop saw, cut 6 pieces of the pipe that are 2¼” in length if you are using a Sensenich or fixed pitch propeller or 2 1/8” inch length if you plan to use a constant speed propeller. Square the ends!
  • Now position the spinner backplate in front of the engine with it spaced ahead of the crankshaft ring gear on the PVC pipes. Ordinary hardware-store bolts can be used to hold it there. They go through the spinner bulkhead and the PVC and the starter ring gear and the crankshaft flange.
  • Eyeball the backplate for centering over the crankshaft and you are ready to go.
https://www.vansaircraft.com/simulating-propeller-for-fitting-the-cowl/

Have a look at the instructions at Van's FAQ page.

1. Simulate the propeller location by the following method:

<Snip>

Tony, how much clearance does this leave between the cowl and spinner? I know people who'd love to have another 1/8" or 1/4" of space there to make it easier to wrestle the cowl on and off.

On the last two projects I used an old Hartzell hub (no blades). This provided the exact same spinner back plate mount and spacers as the new prop.

You might ask around to see if anyone has one you can borrow.

Carl

Back