What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Panel layout opinions for IFR upgrade?

bruceh

Well Known Member
My RV-9A is currently outfitted with a very nice Dynon Skyview VFR panel. I want to add an IFR GPS and autopilot control panel.
It has two 10" EFIS displays. One in front of the pilot and one for the copilot/passenger. Between the screens I have an area about 8" wide by 7.5" high. In this space I currently have the Dynon COMM, Intercom and Knob panels.

Here is the current layout.
IMG_9029_heic-M.jpg

In this center area I want to add the following:
Dynon AP panel
Garmin GPS 175
Garmin G5 (optional).

The Skyview screens both have their own battery backup, and I have the dual (primary and secondary) ADAHRS for the Skyview system. The G5 would be a third backup, so it is probably a bit of overkill. Thoughts on the need for yet another attitude indicator?

The Dynon COMM and Knob panel are Vertical orientation. The Intercom came with both Horizontal and Vertical face plates, so I can mount it in either orientation. I have not yet bought the AP panel module, so I want to figure out whether to get the Horizontal or Vertical layout.

I do want to keep it pretty symmetrical. How about something like this with the AP up top, GPS at the bottom, G5 in the middle.
IMG_1333-M.jpg

Here is the same, but with the COM and Knob panels swapped.
IMG_1334-M.jpg

Not as symmetric, but the G5 would be closer to the pilot.
IMG_1335-M.jpg

Without the G5 I can go all Vertical orientation across the top, and it moves the GPS up.
The dimmer knob for the Dynon displays will fit next to the GPS. The G5 is just a bit too big to fit next to the left side of the pilot EFIS display. I have the Electronic Ignition Commander parked left of the display and could possibly wedge the G5 over there if needed.
IMG_1336-M.jpg

If I move the dimmer knob over to below the passenger side EFIS display, then I can keep the GPS 175 centered in the space. Without the G5, I will free up potential space for something in the future that might have a taller faceplate than the GPS 175.
IMG_1337-M.jpg

Any feedback on what should go where is appreciated. I use the Knob panel quite a bit (it directly changes altitude, baro and trk/hdg). Having it near the display is nice. The intercom is probably the least used (volume and squelch are mostly set and forget).

You've put a lot of thought into this.
I added the GPS 175 and a G5 to my single Dynon HDX in my 9A this time last year. Here are some thoughts I have.

In my case the G5 is my standby instrument (it replaced an AVMAP UltraEFIS). You might like having the G5 as the secondary HSI for the 175, The right screen may be a little too far out of view to be useful as an HSI, definitely too far if you are in the weather. If you do add the G5 for HSI, plan for a GAD29 ARINC module along with the Dynon SV-ARINC-429 module. I do like having a different platform for my backup, especially one that doesn't need databases.

I have the A/P and knob panels, I use them a lot. I'd keep them close to your left Skyview. Your first plan is my favorite. When you are flying IFR you will want the knob and a/p where you don't have to move your head to use them. The GPS is better higher if you can figure that out. One big thing with the GPS is make sure you have enough "grab" space on the bezel for anchoring in rough air. I find the 175 to be tricky when it's bouncy and an available edge is vital.

You'll love the equipment, it's all top notch. Do you need dual NAV sources in the US to get the plane IFR certified?

You can go with the PDA360EX Remote Audio Panel/Intercom, that would free up some panel space.

Bruce,

I think I would move the G5 and the GPS175 up to the top of the stack. It sounds like you use the knob module a lot so you could keep that on the side toward the pilot. Then I would put the other most used module on the opposite side of the G5. The two least used modules move to the bottom, probably intercom and comm or autopilot.

Just my thoughts.

Back